Need a good moisturizer for this TWA of mine...

JenJen2721

Can anyone recommend a good moisturizer for my TWA...I love the convenience of my TWA, but I'm still using the moisturizers I used on my relaxed hair and I'm wondering what I should try. I would like find something that makes my hair nice and soft, doesn't cost too much (over $10 would be too much for my budget right now) and preferably smells good!

So far I've tried:

Surge Woojee Cream....works ok...a little too watery...hate the smell. :-(
Elasta QP Recovery...eh...works ok, but I don't like that it contains mineral oil
African Royale Miracle Oil Moisturizer...works the best out of the 3, but I'm still on the look out.

Any suggestions????

Thanks in advance,
Jen

DelightfulFlame

I've been puffing the last few days...and today I shampoo'd and conditioned. I used Hollywood Carrot Oil Cream, and I must say that I'm impressed. I rubbed it through my damp hair and then made a puff. My hair is still soft.

Netta1

Get you some honey and oilve oil (play with the measurments) and use this mix as a prerinse treatment. Let the mix set in your (damp) hair for a while and then either CO wash or rinse it out.

bellydancer

i love Pro-line Comb-thru softener. NOT the lite moisturizer. the softener. it smells SOOOOOO good. people are always smelling my hair lol and it SOFTENS like no other!

bellydancer

oh yea... it costs about $2 to $3 depending on where you get it. I find that it is cheaper at Sally's, but u can get it at Walgreens or any other beauty store. It's a 10 oz bottle. A little goes a loooooooooong way. Best product I've ever used.

carameldiva

tallow, mango butter, cocoa butter , sal butter and avocado butter work great for me as moisturizers. I apply them at nite and then put my plastic cap on and go to sleep rinse in the am and apply my rinse-out conditioner and go.

JenJen2721

DelightfulFlame said:
I've been puffing the last few days...and today I shampoo'd and conditioned. I used Hollywood Carrot Oil Cream, and I must say that I'm impressed. I rubbed it through my damp hair and then made a puff. My hair is still soft.

Hi Delightful Flame! :wave:

Thanks for the recommendation. Can you find this at Sally's or Wal-Mart? Is it mineral oil free?

TIA,
Jen

JenJen2721

Netta1 said:
Get you some honey and oilve oil (play with the measurments) and use this mix as a prerinse treatment. Let the mix set in your (damp) hair for a while and then either CO wash or rinse it out.

Thanks Netta! I used this when I was relaxed with really good results. I'll try it! :think:

JenJen2721

bellydancer said:
i love Pro-line Comb-thru softener. NOT the lite moisturizer. the softener. it smells SOOOOOO good. people are always smelling my hair lol and it SOFTENS like no other!

Thanks BD...sounds like good stuff! Do you use it on dry hair or damp/wet hair? Does it leave a greasy feel at all?

JenJen2721

carameldiva said:
tallow, mango butter, cocoa butter , sal butter and avocado butter work great for me as moisturizers. I apply them at nite and then put my plastic cap on and go to sleep rinse in the am and apply my rinse-out conditioner and go.

Thanks CD, where do you purchase your butters? And do you apply them to dry or damp hair?

jainygirl

*Elasta QP Mango Butter -- Love, love, love this stuff AND it smells great

*Pure Shea Butter -- I just bought my first jar :grin: so i'm about to try it on my hair after i wash tonight. I will come and post an update later.

ShortyDooWhop

If you are anywhere near a Whole Foods, pick up their (365) Botanical Conditioner. It is 1.99. I use it as a leave-in, and it is THE BEST leave in I have ever used. It leaves your hair soft, soft, soft. My best friend (permed) uses it when she's post relaxer, and loves it.

It's also great b/c you can add water, glycerin, and aloe vera gel to make a pretty good Salerm 21 substitute.

Hope this helps.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
ShortyDooWhop said:
If you are anywhere near a Whole Foods, pick up their (365) Botanical Conditioner. It is 1.99. I use it as a leave-in, and it is THE BEST leave in I have ever used. It leaves your hair soft, soft, soft. My best friend (permed) uses it when she's post relaxer, and loves it.

It's also great b/c you can add water, glycerin, and aloe vera gel to make a pretty good Salerm 21 substitute.

Hope this helps.

Would it be possible to post the ingredients?? Please? Thanks.

ShortyDooWhop

This is a link to the site.... http://www.wholefoods.com/products/365/bc_conditioner.html

here's a pic of the label

hope it comes through

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
jainygirl said:
*Elasta QP Mango Butter -- Love, love, love this stuff AND it smells great
double ditto! This stuff didn't work for me at first, but now that I'm officially out of the TWA club, it works great! Glad I tried it again!

JenJen2721

Thanks for all the great recs guys....do most of you use the Elasta Mango Butter on wet, damp, or dry hair?

I ran across the Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil Creme last night when I was at Walgreens...it was on sale for $3, plus the cholesterol conditioner was included for free. I haven't tried it yet though. I'll post results when I do.

JenJen2721

ShortyDooWhop said:

Hope this helps.

Sounds like good stuff and my natural hair seems to really like Aloe Vera...I don't get by the Whole Foods store very often, but the next time I pick up some jojoba oil from there, I'll check it out! Thanks!

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
I use mango butter after I wash/CO wash my hair...then in the morning, i put a little more on when it's dry..

jainygirl

naptrl said:
I use mango butter after I wash/CO wash my hair...then in the morning, i put a little more on when it's dry..

:) This is how I use it as well. After my no 'poo and in the mornings. -- jainygirl

carameldiva

i actually got mine from www.cedarvale.net, however i would advise purchasing from them- i still haven't gotten the rest of my order from november last year and now their phone # is out of service and website has been down for repairs for weeks. I would do a search on ebay and purchase there. i have actually purchased a lb of mango butter from ebay that i did enjoy and just finished using.