Naturals.....

SimplyBlessed

Do natural styles just not work for u?? I swear I am ALWAYS wearing my hair in a bun or pony tail...idk maybe i'm not use to how curly styles look on me...I have no idea but...everything I've tried looks horrible, twist outs, braid outs, ugh everything....so what products do u use for ur styles??...help a sista out...are some like me and not comfortable with their curls...I hope i'm not the only one lol

Is it better to do styles like twist out, braid outs, bantu knots on wet or dry hair?? maybe I need to change my methods....what products??

msa

Some styles work for me, and others don't. For example, if I do a twist out or braid out I pin them up instead of wearing them down because it comes out really thin on me. But bantu knot outs look amazing on my hair.

Doing sets on wet hair is the best for me because it's easier and the style lasts longer. Whenever I do a new style first I do it on wet hair with no product just to see how it looks. Then I may add one product at a time to experiment.

I've found that Oyin Honey Hemp conditioner works the best for me for any type of set styles because it conditions and it gives my hair some weight (which makes it look better IMO). I think any type of conditioner that isn't too thick or too runny would work though. Before the board I used the pantene relaxed & natural daily leave in on wet hair for braidouts and they came out silky and shiny.

It's really a lot of trial and error. Do a set, if it comes out funny looking in the morning, pin it up in a french roll or something, put on a headband, and try again later. Be creative and invest in bobby pins and headbands. They always make my styles look great to everyone else (even if it looks crazy to me).

darlingdiva

Maybe, like you said, you haven't gotten used to how natural styles look on you. I remember that I went through that issue when I started doing my own hair. I was always used to my hair being straightened, so non-straight styles were an adjustment for me.

I do understand your frustration, though. The only non-straightened style that looks right on me are twist-outs. Everything else (twists, braidouts, ponypuffs, bantu knots, etc.) just don't work for me.

I can do twist-outs on wet or dry hair, but I primarily do them on dry hair. When I do them on wet hair, I use a leave-in & the JC Hair Nourishing Cream. When I do them on dry hair, I just use a leave in. I never use any curl-defining products.

lilsparkle825

What is your hair type, and how long have you been natural? (Sorry if it's in your sig, my sigs are turned off) I had an adjustment period when I first started wearing my hair curly towards the end of my transition, and it felt weird, but now when I wear my hair straight it's the strangest thing, and I wash it out after 5-6 days max. Just keep experimenting!

Also, do everything on wet hair, especially if it involves the use of a comb or brush! My favorite thing to do is cowash, add my leave-in, part m,y hair ear-to-ear, then make a row of flat twists in the front (large ones, usually 5) and then in the back make another row of regular two-strand twists (3 or so). Sometimes I put a roller on the ends, especially back when I was transitioning. In the morning, I take them out and have the perfect twistout.

laurend

Regular twist don't look right on me, they have to be very small. I need a lot of volume because I have a narrow face, that's why I do twist-outs. My hair is too long now but the traditional Afro doesn't do anything for face.

Lylddlebit

I like natural styles that look neat...I don't like to look like I didn't put any effort into my appearance. So it's not like a wash and go wouldn't work for me per se..It's more like when I do wear my hair in it's natural state I want it to be evident that I take care of how my hair looks matters to me. So quick styles don't do it for me. I have to twist it up, twirl it up, tie it up, pull it back, comb it or set it some way so my hair stays in place neatly.

SimplyBlessed

What is your hair type, and how long have you been natural? (Sorry if it's in your sig, my sigs are turned off) I had an adjustment period when I first started wearing my hair curly towards the end of my transition, and it felt weird, but now when I wear my hair straight it's the strangest thing, and I wash it out after 5-6 days max. Just keep experimenting!

:lachen::lachen:Girl the sad thing is I have been natural since the day I was born... I just never delt with my hair bc of always getting sew ins and braids, and if it was out it was in a bun b/c I played a lot of sports....as far as the hair type I think i'm in the 3c range.....my hair is thin (as a result of sew ins and braids) so I think thats why some styles don't look as good...

glamazon386

My styles rarely work out either. My hair is thin and never looks full like I want it to. I always end up with a bun.