Does natural hair hold twist/braid outs and rod sets better? Naturals pls explain.

ajoyfuljoy

Hey ladies,

I'm relaxed (transitioning?) and twist or braid outs and rodsets on my hair (flexis, perm rods) only last for maybe 2 days on me b/f they start to look jacked :nono: I was wondering if natural hair held those types of styles better?

So naturals, please answer a couple of questions:

How long does your hair hold those types of styles?
What method do you use to (how do you) create the style?
What products do you use?
How do you sleep on it at night and maintain it everyday?

Thank you!

Last edited:

loolalooh

Re: Does natural hair hold twist/braid outs and rod sets better? Naturals pls explain

My general answer is yes on the twistouts and braidouts in my experience. I'm not sure about perm rodsets yet. As for flexi-rods -- my relaxed hair held that better because my natural hair reverts easily.

Twistouts - until my next wash (a week at most so far)

What method do you use to create the style?
I twist (small or medium twists) on wet conditioned, moisturized hair. I let it airdry before taking the twists down. I make sure not to manipulate or re-moisturize my twistout.

Deep conditioner (LustraSilk Shea w/ olive oil, honey) and oil (safflower). Once in a while I use gel (Pantene Pro-V Curl Defining).

Sleep - put on a bonnet.
Maintainance - lightly finger fluff my twistout the next morning. No re-moisturizing or my twistout will revert.

ajargon02

Re: Does natural hair hold twist/braid outs and rod sets better? Naturals pls explain

Well keep in mind that natural hair has "texture" so I can make a twistout last for about a week and it still looks great. For me, it's all about how I wrap my hair at night. I tie a scarf very loosely so I don't smush the curls.

What method do you use to create the style?
I don't quite understand your question, but when I do a twistout, and it's like on day 3 or 4, I will condition wash, and shake my hair and it's back to day 1 looking, ya know? For me it's all about the suave coconut conditioner. it provides soft hold for me when I leave it in from the condish wash.

suave coconut or strawberry, or daily moisture condish
sometimes I will mix it w/ coconut oil or jojoba oil. When I first went natural I would use ISO Bouncy Creme but that was $8, and it was before I discovered suave does the same.

again I just wrap loosely. If it does look mushed in the morn, I have a spray bottle with conditioner,water, oil that I will mist and finger pick my hair. My avatar is old, but it's a twist out pulled into a puff.

MirrorDoll

My twistouts last up to 3 days.

I either wash and deep condition my hair or dampen it with water, then I add my products and twist it. After airdrying I take out the twists and separate the waves (if you don't separate the twists, the style will last longer)

I make my own products now. I use a creamy leave in, a light hold gel and a very small amount of my oil mix. I used to use Aubrey Organics B5 gel, Giovanni Direct leave in and jojoba or almond oil.

I sleep on a satin pillowcase. I don't really do anything to it until it's time to wash or retwist. I may mist it lightly with watery leave in conditioner, aloe vera juice or plain water and put a little oil in it if it seems dry.

ajoyfuljoy

this is good to know ladies...sounds very carefree compared to a relaxed rollerset. Thanks so far!

loolalooh

this is good to know ladies...sounds very carefree compared to a relaxed rollerset. Thanks so far!

I thought the same exact thing after my first few twistouts! :grinwink:

glamazon386

For twists and braid outs yes it does. I think it's because the hair already has some texture to it. I never wear a style more than a few days though... maybe a week tops. I get bored too easily.

However when I was relaxed I could wear a twistout for a week maybe 2 weeks. I just wore a bonnet on it at night.