Does anyone else feel like this?

mikimix

I feel like the protective styles and low manipulation styles, namely braid outs/twist outs/bantu knot outs etc look so much better on longer hair.
But you need to do it when you have short hair to get the long hair!!
(does that make sense? lol)

It's like a vicious circle! lol
My hair is shoulder length and relaxed and I dont really know how to get a good braidout :/

Help????

Last edited:

faithVA

Don't have any help for you mikimix. I do feel where you are coming from. The hair in the back isn't quite long enough so my out styles look ok but not fantastic. I wear more twists than out styles. And I also wear a lot of updos whether I have twists or my hair is out.

You can definitely try some updos where you put up most of the hair and wear the bang out or something like that. Or maybe a twists and curl would look nice.

MissDarcei

I totally agree! I look at the two strand twists on someone like Chime (HairCrush on youtube) and im like "Damn, I wish my twists hung that low." But they hover just above APL which is such an awkward length for me.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
That's the story of my life. I'm between SL and APL and I keep thinking when I get past APL or BSL I'll be roller setting and rocking braidouts. But right now it doesn't look how I want it to look.

My temporary solution is to still rollerset and then clip in a track or two in the back so it doesn't look so grandma-ish.

Another solution is to do a braidout or something and then kinda pin the back up so that it looks like a bob. That got me through growing out my tapered cut. Otherwise, it's just not a good look.

So yeah, I feel you

Calia001

This is where half wigs become your best friend. Snap it on for some length amd versatility. Whip it off to do all the maintenance stuff

Sent from my LG-P999 using LG-P999

Curlykale

have you tried perm rods at the end on your braids, conditioner and a little bit of lottabody setting lotion?

yeah that is one of the reasons why I am growing my hair, everything seems so much easier with length!

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I feel the same way that's why I've been able to do clipped up styles as my hair grows since I'm not interested in the styles I've been able to achieve before APL.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
When I was texlaxed/relaxed braid-outs and flexi-rod sets only looked long big and full once I hit BSL. Now that I'm natural, I notice the same thing. Patience is a virtue.

Missdelicious1

Yes! Those styles do look much better on longer hair. My braidouts look like crap right now. I'm SL now, but when I was about APL or BSB my braidouts were soooo much cuter.

iri9109

I totally agree! I look at the two strand twists on someone like Chime (HairCrush on youtube) and im like "Damn, I wish my twists hung that low." But they hover just above APL which is such an awkward length for me.

i wish my twists hung just above APL right about now :ohwell: ...my twists are almost shoulder length when i do them, then they shrink up to chin length overnight :sad: