Naturals with short hair, how do you where it to bed?

Kay.Dee

I just had to do a search and destroy of single strand knots because they got so bad that my overall my hair was feeling a lot more rough than usual. my hair was breaking off in tiny pieces even when I finger combed.

I have type 4a (extremely small coils, smaller than a penspring) and 4b hair. It loves to clump together if let to its own devices.

I used to go to bed with out doing anything to it, and I also had other bad hair care habits.

Then I start seperating it by sections with these scrunchy type things, but my ends still tangles together and it seems like my stretched hair likes to tangle even more.

And to make it EVEN MORE worse
I have no cornrowing skills or twisting skills
And I feel like it's too short for me too braid. I would have to make a zillion little braids all over my head every night to be able to catch the hair. My hair is at an annoying length.
I started wearing a satin scarf to bed and I still get them.

I'm hoping it will tangle less now that I got rid of most of the knots.

Whew, didn't really mean to post that much.

Is anyone dealing with similar issues, and does anyone recommed anything to prevent them?

And excuse my bad grammar. WEAR it to bed. (I'm not usually that bad)

I usually wear shrunken fros by day so after I apply my night time gro juice I wrap with a long satin scarf...my hair doesn't move around in that to tangle. I don't tie it tight but it's stretchy so it flattens the naps.

I gave up on them granny bonnets. DH was like :nono:.

LOL

How moisturized is your hair? Could that be an issue?

Moisture was kind of a problem. I just recieved my order from Qhemet (the reason why I failed the Do Not Buy Challenge) yesterday and I just used it today and it feels great.

I guess I need to embrace my shruken fro a little more.

When I wear my twist, I tie mine down w/ a silk scarf and place a du rag over it to make sure it stays on. I make sure I do make knots on the silk scarf so i wont get dents and over time breakage. If I have my fro I just wear a satin bonnet.

Not natural, but nappy :yep:

I section my hair, put moisturizer in it and braid in into 12 braids. Then I braid them together and tuck them under. So it looks like I have 4 big braids tucked under.

I use 12 smaller ones so that I can tuck the big braids under without clips.

I sleep on a satin pillowcase.

Keeps my hair moisturized and tangle free!

When it was shorter I would just slap a scarf on and call it a night. Now that its getting some length I try to braid it to keep it from tangling.

It sounds like you need to step up the moisture. Try moisturizing your hair before you go to bed, that should help

You have to practice, practice, practice to get better at the twists and braids. Trust me, when I was trying to do them initially I might as well have been using my feet! :grin: And I still can't really braid.

Right now I just put it in 8 or 9 big flat twists at night (makes it easier to apply my MT to my scalp). I have a spray water with distilled water that I use while I'm twisting. I don't get the hair totally wet, just a little damp. In the morning I take them out, fluff with my fingers and I have a textured 'fro for work.

How short are you talking about?

I moisturize my hair...slap on a satin bonnet and sleep on a satin pillow case (back up) but my bonnet doesn't fall off. My hair isn't long enough yet to plait it. I wake up with a flatten fro that I just spray water on...moisturizer and fluff up with a pick.

I wear nothing! That's a part of my indipendence from relaxers and hair slavely :yay: ( I think I had obsessed w/ my hair so much to the point I had became its slave). My hair is very very short now though. But I sleep on satin pillow cases.

When my hair was shorter than it is now (about 2-3 inches), I would put it into plaits every night then baggy. Never had tangles and combing in the AM was a breeze. I have never ever, in all my life, gone to bed without putting my natural hair into plaits. Long or short...except perhaps when it was about a centimeter long, then just applying an oil (Paltas) and wearing a cap was all I needed to do. Plaiting to the ends keeps the entire strands tangle-free.

How short are you talking about?

I moisturize my hair...slap on a satin bonnet and sleep on a satin pillow case (back up) but my bonnet doesn't fall off. My hair isn't long enough yet to plait it. I wake up with a flatten fro that I just spray water on...moisturizer and fluff up with a pick.
this is me to a tee...satin bonnet and pillowcase, then in the morning i spray and fluff. my sister is a 4b so in between braid/twist sets i will wash it, moisturize, and put it in chunky two strand twists before tying a satin scarf around her head and sending her off.

Thanks for the responses.

Longhairdreams, I said my hair is around your length (judging from your pic) It's between 2-3 inches long.

I really don't get big tangles, it's just these single strand knots that are driving me crazy. Maybe I have more of a moisture problem. And I do have a few other bad hair care practices that I'm trying to shake.

I'll try moisturizing before bed, and I bought a satin bonnet insted of a scarf, and i'll see if it helps any.

You have to practice, practice, practice to get better at the twists and braids. Trust me, when I was trying to do them initially I might as well have been using my feet! :grin: And I still can't really braid.

Right now I just put it in 8 or 9 big flat twists at night (makes it easier to apply my MT to my scalp). I have a spray water with distilled water that I use while I'm twisting. I don't get the hair totally wet, just a little damp. In the morning I take them out, fluff with my fingers and I have a textured 'fro for work.

I know, I know. I keep getting frustrated. I can barely do them on my mannequin head, let alone my own! I'm tempted to by the braids by breslin dvd.

Back