Naturals who Straighten their hair, please help...

BrownSkin2

I tried to straighten my hair this morning with my new FHI flat iron. I washed, deep conditioned and rollerset last night with aveda hang straight and anti-humectant, and sat under the dryer for 6 minutes, and air dried overnight. This morning I flat ironed on temp of 370 and used the CHI silk serum. Things went well, except my ends are rough and still a little curly. I did one or two passes. How do you get your ends straight? Did I something wrong, or do I need a trim? Please help me...

yellagirl730

I had my hair straightened in a salon with marcel flat irons, and my ends came out dry and crunchy so now when I want it straight I get it pressed.

blazingthru

I don't put heat in my hair but I agree the pressing comb is really a good way to straighten your hair I woud use the flat iron to maintain it but when I do straighten it that is what I will do. When both my daughters were natural and I wantd a straight look for them I pressed it with the comb and followed up with the curling iron. Their hair stayed straight a little longer. I forgot that when I first tried to straighten my hair.

BrownSkin2

Thanks ladies. I had my hair professionally flat ironed 6 months ago, and they told me the rough ends had to go after they blow dried. :wallbash: I may try the pressing comb, and see if I can get better results, or try my flat iron again, but on a higher setting. I don't know.. I do have coarse hair.

sunnygirl

Sunnygirl
I have found that using the Maxiglide is the only way I can get my ends stick straight. I am sure a pressing comb will do the same but be careful with that sort of heat.

Poobity

Flat ironing will only get it so straight.

Yep. I flat-ironed my hair on Saturday, and it looks more like a blow-out than being stick straight. And my ends are poofy/curly too. I wasn't really going for a bone straight look though. I just needed a *short* break from dealing with my shrinkage.

ClassicBeauty

My experience has been that the only way to make my natural hair straight like relaxed hair is to rollerset it first with leave in conditioner, and then flat iron it. I give a step by step in my journal.

I can't say much about a pressing comb. I've heard that it gets natrual hair the straightest, but I've never been able to press my own hair, and I've never trusted anyone else to do it for me.

Good Luck to you.

Jazzmommy

The only way I can get my ends straight is by using a pressing comb. I tried a ceramic flat iron but the ends are dry and yes crunchy. When I've straightened my daughters hair for special occasions, I've had to use the pressing comb as well in order to get her ends smooth. You just have to be careful and use heat protectant and use the good ole white papertowel method to test the heat to make sure your hair doesn't burn.