Naturals: what's the longest you've ever kept a press in?

levone

4 weeks....that was back in the days when I didn't do the high intensity type exercise classes as well as when I would skip the gym.

I don't straighten often now because of that, so I would say now max 2 weeks. Of course I have to avoid the gym during that time because my hair reverts very easily with sweat/humidity.

Goombay_Summer

Please do not judge me but the longest I have gotten my hair to last was anywhere from 6-8 weeks and this is taking into consideration that I live in S.FLA but every night I would put a little bit coconut oil on my scalp (braid/plait or wrap the hair) and in the mornings a combination of EVCO, EVOO, and JBCO on the hair.

Last edited:

KaramelDiva1978

I just flat ironed mine last night after 11 mos since the last time and I hope it lasts at least a week. I love it even though I dont know how to maintain it without flat ironing again. This is the first time I did it myself and its not bone straight, but its perfect for me.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Five days is my absolute maximum. Actually, after three days, my hair starts to feel dry and I'm dying to feel water on my scalp again.

Having natural hair limits the amount of moisture I can apply daily when my hair is straight. I can moisturize with coconut oil with no problems, but by the third day, my hair starts to look stringy (even though I only use a tiny amount of coconut oil). Any water-based moisturizer starts the reversion process too early. Also, I get bored with the stick straight hair and can't wait to see my curls again.

In fact, I got my hair straightened on Tuesday. Today is Friday and I'm itching to wash it tomorrow.

virtuenow

One month. But now I can't go one week w/o washing my hair. This is since I've discovered a moisture infused wash routine. I have to have it!

davisbr88

The longest I've gone is 5.5 days, but I plan to try and get at least a week out of my next press.
Hopefully.

SelahOco

I went 4 weeks too because I had my son a few days after I straightened it...and during labor it sweat out (hot mess)...but I was too tired to wash and detangle.

It looked a mess.

LaVgirl

Before I was into my hair, I didn't wash my hair for about a month after it was straightened. It looked more like a blow dry by the time the month was over. Now that I'm taking proper care of my hair, I would leave it straight for 7-10 days before washing.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
How are you able to do that? I can't even make mine last a whole week though my technique and the technique of professionals are always left wanting with my hair...

Fhrizzball

My straightened natural hair is able to last that long by blowdrying with conditioner and then flat-ironing with a thick wax-like grease.

If you don't want to use grease, blowdry your hair with diluted setting lotion and then flat-iron without adding anything else...this works too.

At night, I just put my hair into a high loose bun. In the morning, I just fluff it out with my fingers.

Plus, I just HATE washing my hair. And my hair doesn't get too dirty either.

Imani

2 weeks, maybe a day or two more than that

eta: the 2nd week its pulled back in banana clip or something. I have fine hair and by that time its too oily and limp to wear out. plus the roots will have started to revert.

Last edited:

adf23

2 weeks- my scalp/roots get oily and limp after about a week, so I thought I was doing good to last that long.

CurlyLawGal

I can't last longer than 5 days. Maybe it's a mental thing, but I feel like my scalp starts to smell and my hair gets oily.

Do you all have any tips for lasting longer than a week?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

liberationtheory

When I was natural I had a flat iron in for 4 weeks. I had to wash it out simply bc I couldnt stand going without shampoo for that long.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

~~HoneyComb~~

3-4 weeks (during the cooler months) and I really push for that 4th week :lol:

All that work just to wear for a week is not worth it for me :nono:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
2 weeks, maybe a day or two more than that

eta: the 2nd week its pulled back in banana clip or something. I have fine hair and by that time its too oily and limp to wear out. plus the roots will have started to revert.

that's how i feel too!! i feel like after 5 days, my fine hair just looks a limp, oily mess. i'm far too heavy handed on the argan oil/coconut oil that i use to keep it supple.:nono:

davisbr88

How are you all making it last so long?! I want to flat iron at the end of December and want it to last at least 2 weeks. What do you all do to maintain?

YasashiiSekai

When I was a kid my mom made me go to the salon and get it pressed so she made me keep it for 2 weeks until I went back, but now I press my hair every 6 months to a year and I wash it out after a week because I get bored with it and it looks stupid after a while when I'm exercising everyday.

MyCoilsGoBoing

Three to five days. By day three, it's starting to look like a blowout. My hair strands are fine, so no amount of serum will protect my hair from the inevitable poof.

Victorian

old head
About a month. It was in the winter and I was doing some traveling during that time. I couldn't wait to wash my hair -- that was too long. I used dry shampoo to freshen it but my scalp was way itchy. Blech!
Now I typically wash once a week or so.

Louisex3

the day after i straighten my hair its already looking a bit frizzy, literally like 3 days max, before its just afro-ey again, i think i need better straighteners

Truth

2 weeks max ....first week its fine...2nd week i put in bantu knots and take them out so it will be curly enough to hide the reversion poof action thing thats going on

Sent from my SGH-T839 using SGH-T839