Naturals/Transitioners Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm. I don't wanna sound all, "It takes a village" and everything, but...

I would not want a seperate board. Care and nurturing come from all kinds, plus, I like the flow of threads from one to another. Keeping us all in step and in touch with all "heads" at the same time. I do like the idea of a "flag/icon" that one could choose to place next to their thread. :up:

:scratchch Funny, when I joined this board many moons ago, I was suffering from an underprocessed relaxer and was looking for help to correct my damage. The board was 80%-90% relaxed(?) and the good advice of the relaxed ladies, eased me into transitioning to natural. Heck, I didn't even consider myself transitioning until months after I actually started. :lol:

To this day, product recommendations and protective tips come from relaxed as well as the growing number of naturals on the forum. I would like to think that other newly transitioning/naturals could learn from both sides of the fence equally.

Maybe I worry too much, but I am concerned that the good intentions of a seperate board could lead to or invite a non-LHCF mentality.

OnceUponAtime said:
Maybe I worry too much, but I am concerned that the good intentions of a seperate board could lead to or invite a non-LHCF mentality.

I hear you loud and clear.

Please note that you are not alone in that concern.

Blossssom said:
What exactly is the "LHCF" mentality, Once?

That your hair goal is supported by other members regardless of hair choices vs. a "we're enlightend and your not" mentality.

I remember a time when there was a surge of downright rudness and insults on the hair board when some naturals were joining. It wasn't in the spirit of helping others, instead they were point blank attacks. And maybe it was just the threads I happened to have been reading, but there were naturals being beligerant and condesending to or about relaxed memebers choices.

I'd rather not live through that again and I don't feel it exists here now.

OnceUponAtime said:
:scratchch Funny, when I joined this board many moons ago, I was suffering from an underprocessed relaxer and was looking for help to correct my damage. The board was 80%-90% relaxed(?) and the good advice of the relaxed ladies, eased me into transitioning to natural#

This is exactly what I was talking about. The open mindedness of everyone on here is probably what made me transition. I think it'd be a shame to lose that to a natural/transitioning/relaxed/texlaxed/type 3/ type 4/non hair colouring hair colouring/hair colouring/trims/no trims/etc segregation

I am a 4a natural, and I would appreciate a separate section as well. I love this board, but to be honest, I do not come here to get hair advice. There is not a whole lot of information relating to natural hair and what little there is is too hard to find. I go to other boards to get inspiration and hair advice I can use. I am here because I like the Entertainment and off topic sections, and the camaraderie between women.

I do not feel that having a separate section is segregation because anyone is free to view and post in any forum if they choose, and there are several non hair related boards where people come to post. If ladies are free to post a "Natural" question in the "General" section, then that may lessen the feeling of segregation.

The way it is now, there are so few 4a naturals here and I think part of the reason for that is that is it's hard to get the information you need here. The downside to not creating a separate forum is that you may lose members to other boards, especially since there is a membership fee for this site. If you are a natural that is coming solely for hair advice, it's hard to justify paying the fee.

caltron said:
I am a 4a natural, and I would appreciate a separate section as well. I love this board, but to be honest, I do not come here to get hair advice. There is not a whole lot of information relating to natural hair and what little there is is too hard to find. I go to other boards to get inspiration and hair advice I can use.

Which boards do you go to? Just curious.... Maybe there are others I do not know about....

Thanks.

RelaxerRehab said:
Respectfully responding....

I agree with your point about the friendliness of this board. That's why out of the spectrum of boards that I could have subscribed to, I chose this one. And as a full-time graduate student, I must use my discretionary funds WISELY.

I'm not exactly sure if you're referring to me with the point of saying segregation being a good thing, I'm emphasizing the mirror image of that point that DEsegregation has instituted some harms amongst people of color...that is true. And that is a separate conversation from this one but I'm glad to have that conversation at some point in time.

Using the term "slap" a label demonstrates a lack of consideration of those (like me) who are still relatively new to this hair thing/transitional process. As I stated in post #8, I gave specific reasons advocating a distinct Naturals/Transitioners Forum, partly because I need to stay focused on my transition and it can be challenging (and tempting, I admit) to do so when I see and read posts from other textured folks.... For me, it's like going through a withdrawal (ergo RelaxerRehab). And when I'm ready, I can venture into other forums out of interest, to help my friends and family with hair questions, or just out of curiosity. I'm free to do that, just as others would be welcome into the Naturals/Transitioners Forum the same way I would be welcome in the other forums.

If individuals wish to stick to their own group and not venture outside their respective box, well, I would say two things to that: 1) that's totally on them and 2) they are the ones who slapped the label on themselves. Nobody else did that but them.

Finally, I recognize that I have free will to avoid certain threads and such that may not address my particular needs, but as THIS THREAD demonstrates, I am not alone. I salute the OP for his or her insight and courage to break from the status quo!

This post HERE made me jump on the bandwagon for a Natural hair site...

Clearly, I must have mis-interpreted the poster's meaning... considering she has said (and correct me if I'm wrong), that she MEANT something else.

Last edited:
Blossssom said:
This post HERE made me jump on the bandwagon for a Natural hair site...

Clearly, I must have mis-interpreted the poster's meaning... considering she has said (and correct me if I'm wrong), that she MEANT something else.

Hello.... is there something I could clarify?

RelaxerRehab said:
Hello.... is there something I could clarify?

Naw... I'll figure it out on my own; here or somewhere else.

I love this board; others love this board and that is all that matters.

Peace, "sisters" :)

If there were seperate boards I would never ever go into the natural forums. but because we aren't separated for the first time ever I have thought of going natural which I wouldn't of done if there were seperate boards

sylver2 said:
If there were seperate boards I would never ever go into the natural forums. but because we aren't separated for the first time ever I have thought of going natural which I wouldn't of done if there were seperate boards

I humbly ask what would prevent you from visiting a naturals/transitioners section beyond the personal governance of your own fingers to use your mouse to click on that particular forum? I don't ask this in a smart-alecky way, but I seriously seek understanding about this perspective....

Thank you in advance.

It's either going to happen or it's not. You either support it or you don't. That is all. :lol: I don't think it's all that deep or serious.

RelaxerRehab said:
I humbly ask what would prevent you from visiting a naturals/transitioners section beyond the personal governance of your own fingers to use your mouse to click on that particular forum? I don't ask this in a smart-alecky way, but I seriously seek understanding about this perspective....

Thank you in advance.

I'm talking about when I first joined
I was not going to 'use my own fingers to use my mouse to click on a Naturals forum when I was RELAXED' do u understand that?? not saying it smart aleky.

When I first came to this board I was relaxed and only seeked relaxed tips. The board was filled with so many tips from naturals and relaxed in one forum, each sharing tips and getting along. It couldn't be overlooked or ignored. That helped

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

but I dont want us separated, hair care tips are hair care tips, whether natural or relaxed, so its going to stay together as one board!

Since alot of you who are posting in this thread are natural, then start more natural related hair care threads! The reason you find so many relaxed hair related post is because those individuals are posting more :) Do your part and it won't be an issue !!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back