Naturals/Transitioners Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
PerfectDoak said:
Be careful there, some people might think you're saying they're unwelcome on LHCF by saying that :rolleyes:

Wow.... Sigh.... I hope it's not just me who sees the "snark" of this comment....

I think I may cancel my subscription here if this kind of behavior continues. I haven't even been here a month yet. And this is supposed to be the friendly board?

Wow....

RelaxerRehab said:
Wow... um... If more people felt like this, there might be fewer paid subscriptions. I hope this board's owners don't feel this way.... Sigh.... this sentiment doesn't make me feel so welcome to this forum.... Quite unfortunate.

Hi RelaxerRehab:wave:

I'm sorry that you feel unwelcome. I have been to many other hair boards and felt the most comfortable here.
Everyone is so supportive of each other. Relaxed, natural, tex, etc..
Of course we will have different opinions and clash a lot, but all in all, its almost like a nice lil family... thats why many are probably against the separation and I feel thats what makes LHCF so unique.
I hope you stay, but if not, there are many other great hair boards that may have what you are looking for.
Some were mentioned in the thread already.

sylver2 said:
Hi RelaxerRehab:wave:

I'm sorry that you feel unwelcome. I have been to many other hair boards and felt the most comfortable here.
Everyone is so supportive of each other. Relaxed, natural, tex, etc..
Of course we will have different opinions and clash a lot, but all in all, its almost like a nice lil family... thats why many are probably against the separation and I feel thats what makes LHCF so unique.
I hope you stay, but if not, there are many other great hair boards that may have what you are looking for.
Some were mentioned in the thread already.

Hi, Sylver2.... Thank you so much for this response.... it gives me hope....

In an earlier post, I gave specific reasons for a distinct Naturals/Transitioners Forum. It's ok if it doesn't happen. It would be a "nice to have", not necessarily a "need to have".

I'm just thinking from a marketing perspective, it's probably not cool to suggest or push other websites, esp. if this is an income-generating activity for this website's owners, you know? ;)

Regardless of the outcome, I will survive! :lol:

Again, thank you for your considerate post.... I do appreciate it!

RelaxerRehab said:
Wow.... Sigh.... I hope it's not just me who sees the "snark" of this comment....

I think I may cancel my subscription here if this kind of behavior continues. I haven't even been here a month yet. And this is supposed to be the friendly board?

Wow....

Well I tried explaining to you that I wasn't trying to make you feel unwelcome but merely oulining that there are many boards have segregated hair discussions and I don't think LHCF should become one of them.

But instead of accepting my explanation, you carried on sulking. So maybe that's why I was 'snarky' about it.

Are you threatening the LHCF members, or me specifically, that if such 'behaviour' continues that you might cancel your subscription?

If you think I'm unfriendly, why not put me on your ignore list?

PerfectDoak said:
Well I tried explaining to you that I wasn't trying to make you feel unwelcome but merely oulining that there are many boards have segregated hair discussions and I don't think LHCF should become one of them.

But instead of accepting my explanation, you carried on sulking. So maybe that's why I was 'snarky' about it.

Are you threatening the LHCF members, or me specifically, that if such 'behaviour' continues that you might cancel your subscription?

If you think I'm unfriendly, why not put me on your ignore list?

I was not sulking. I merely responded to your post. There is NOTHING in my post that was threatening to anyone about anything. I do respect the power of words to choose them carefully and mean what I say. That is not a threat. That's a PROMISE.

I didn't call you unfriendly. I noted that your choice of words/message could be perceived as unwelcoming. That was my proactive approach in good faith to offer points of information and insight so that you may choose your words more carefully in the future.

It is simply unnecessary to use any kind of ignore list. I responded to you DIRECTLY. I encourage everyone to do the same.

So now that we both know where we each stand, I wish you well.

As a natural head, I love the forum as it is, relaxed/natural/texlaxed all together.
I get many tips from both texlaxed and relaxed, so it would actually be harder for me to click on three different forums to get info. I also have relaxed friends and family that I can glean info for. I also like the family atmosphere of this board, that we are all black women together trying to work this hair thing out.

I really like LHCF the way it is. I've visited other boards, but they seem to be very cluttered to me b/c they have too many forums and sub-forums, IMO.

I like the idea. The naturals on this board are not particularly rabid against permed heads so I don't think there will be any rivalries going on. Plus, it would just be more organized and natural or transitiong relate posted wouldn't be buried under other posts. I am for it....so get to it! :whip:

Hi guys, beverly posted this yesterday on the thread that proposed an education forum for the college students:

beverly said:
Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion it is welcomed and appreciated :) . At this time we have decided not to add any more forums, however, we may revisit this in the future. From a moderator perspective, the more boards we have, the hard it is to manage the site.

Some of the recent suggestions were a cooking forum, sewing forum, naturals forum, education forum (today), also there are many others, but I can not think of it at this time. We may possible revisit this in the future when we make site enhancements.
Thank you, Beverly

Hope this is helpful.

IMHO I think that what make this site great is the non separation of different sort of hair and yes, I get many tips from both texlaxed and relaxed hair :) !

*I* sort of think this is a good idea, but as a relaxed head I can see myself feeling uncomfy lurking/posting on a exclusively natural forum.

I understand the transitioners and naturals need lots of support (as well as relaxed heads) but I wonder if the mentality of the board will change. I am going to be honest as possible, so if I step on anyone's toes, I'm sorry but this is the best way that I can say it: I just don't want to see any boards on LHCF-known for their friendly and diverse posters to transition to a baby NP-we all know how it is there, so I don't feel the need to elaborate.

I hope someone else catches my drift.

[/I]
MizaniMami said:
*I* sort of think this is a good idea, but as a relaxed head I can see myself feeling uncomfy lurking/posting on a exclusively natural forum.

I understand the transitioners and naturals need lots of support (as well as relaxed heads) but I wonder if the mentality of the board will change. I am going to be honest as possible, so if I step on anyone's toes, I'm sorry but this is the best way that I can say it: I just don't want to see any boards on LHCF-known for their friendly and diverse posters to transition to a baby NP-we all know how it is there, so I don't feel the need to elaborate.

I hope someone else catches my drift.

Thanks to the person who posted the response from Bev.

See it is all on how you view it. Just because you are relaxed does not mean they can't come into the natural threads or vice versa. I made the exact same point you made about NP. It is a great site for info. That it is. But you cannot pose the question "What is a good flat iron for 4 a/b hair?".

You should not feel uncomfortable. We all come here for information/entertainment. I go into weight lose threads and I was trying to gain weight. I used that info to tell a friend who wanted to join Jenny Craig that it did work with success for some people.

Natural threads get buried so quickly. NP, as wonderful as it is, is just not for everyone. I totally see myself using heat and thiving. I will not rule out relaxing again.

Whether or not the new forum happens, is it possible for a member (or a group of members) to do a guide similar to DSD's "A Newcomer's Guide to Starting Out" that focuses on natural hair?

I know it will be a lot of work, but it can be a sticky in the hair forum. It will help present and future naturals/transitioners.

DSD's guide is helpful for all those who begin their hair journey in general. A naturals/transitioners guide with links to threads, hair albums, and other information would be great too.

I just wanted to add my humble support and thanks that the option for a Naturals/Transitioners Forum was taken under consideration and I also appreciate reading the responses from everybody, because one consistency was the desire to keep the board open and friendly and welcoming to all....

As I was browsing today, I was thinking how helpful it would be to have a flag or some kind of icon attached to certain threads (at the discretion of the original poster) that could serve as a signal that the particular topic might have significant information for naturals/transitioners. I think someone else in this thread mentioned a similar idea.

Thanks again for the opportunity to safely express my thoughts.

JCoily said:
I peacefully dissent.

I do not like the idea of a segregated board.

JMO

I must say I agree. I understand (and respect) the idea of it, but I think that in that case, you may as well a separate forum for other things (relaxed hair, fine hair, colored hair, etc). I also think it segregates the board too much.

I personally thought it was a pretty good idea - it it somewhat hard to find "all natural" discussions, etc. on this site, so it was a really good recommendation.

I would love to see a Naturals/Transitioners forum. Since transitioning to natural I haven't frequented the hair forum because it caters mostly to relaxed hair.

victorious said:
Whether or not the new forum happens, is it possible for a member (or a group of members) to do a guide similar to DSD's "A Newcomer's Guide to Starting Out" that focuses on natural hair?

I know it will be a lot of work, but it can be a sticky in the hair forum. It will help present and future naturals/transitioners.

DSD's guide is helpful for all those who begin their hair journey in general. A naturals/transitioners guide with links to threads, hair albums, and other information would be great too.

This is a great idea, A few naturals could work together to "lessen the load" :yay:

peacelove said:
I must say I agree. I understand (and respect) the idea of it, but I think that in that case, you may as well a separate forum for other things (relaxed hair, fine hair, colored hair, etc). I also think it segregates the board too much.

That's just making things way more complicated. The entertainment forum is not separated (actors, rappers, comedians, singers, etc.). Anything you would do to style natural hair would far under the forum (Coloring, twists, locs, dreads, blow drying, etc.).

One good example is the issue of coloring. For a natural that is one process. For someone who is relaxed, that is a double chemical process. Which by all accounts is a big no-no, however can be done without reakage. Relaxed heads dealing with color is different than a natural who has colored. (Just noting from what I have read on the boards)

peacelove said:

I agree. I was relaxed and now am natural and I used to think this was a good idea too, but I have also seen how it can seperate a hair board. It wont be so big an issue with the members here currently, but as new people join, the will have the mindset that each section is for that hair type only, and going down the line they wont get the full benefit of the information and advice here. Many wont venture into a section they dont think applies to them. Not to mention the HUGE task of transfering topics and deciding what to do with topics that apply to both natural and relaxed. One of our strengths is the amount of active members and how quickly people receive help and responses to their questions and I would hate to see that change.

RelaxerRehab said:
Respectfully responding....

I agree with your point about the friendliness of this board. That's why out of the spectrum of boards that I could have subscribed to, I chose this one. And as a full-time graduate student, I must use my discretionary funds WISELY.

I'm not exactly sure if you're referring to me with the point of saying segregation being a good thing, I'm emphasizing the mirror image of that point that DEsegregation has instituted some harms amongst people of color...that is true. And that is a separate conversation from this one but I'm glad to have that conversation at some point in time.

Using the term "slap" a label demonstrates a lack of consideration of those (like me) who are still relatively new to this hair thing/transitional process. As I stated in post #8, I gave specific reasons advocating a distinct Naturals/Transitioners Forum, partly because I need to stay focused on my transition and it can be challenging (and tempting, I admit) to do so when I see and read posts from other textured folks.... For me, it's like going through a withdrawal (ergo RelaxerRehab). And when I'm ready, I can venture into other forums out of interest, to help my friends and family with hair questions, or just out of curiosity. I'm free to do that, just as others would be welcome into the Naturals/Transitioners Forum the same way I would be welcome in the other forums.

If individuals wish to stick to their own group and not venture outside their respective box, well, I would say two things to that: 1) that's totally on them and 2) they are the ones who slapped the label on themselves. Nobody else did that but them.

Finally, I recognize that I have free will to avoid certain threads and such that may not address my particular needs, but as THIS THREAD demonstrates, I am not alone. I salute the OP for his or her insight and courage to break from the status quo!

Break it down, break it DOWN!

I am all for a natural 4a/b forum.

Not to ostracize or exclude others who have a different type of hair, but when I need advice on hair care, I would like to be able to go directly to the source and not have to weed through other posts that don't pertain to my mission in life.

100% NATURAL!

Blossssom said:

Not to ostracize or exclude others who have a different type of hair, but when I need advice on hair care, I would like to be able to go directly to the source and not have to weed through other posts that don't pertain to my mission in life.

100% NATURAL!
Im for a naturals forum as well but I dont think you should segregate by hair type. If your natural youre natural no matter what texture your hair is. You wouldnt have to weed thru anything, if you only wanted certain response do liek everyone else does

Ex
"Calling all 4b naturals...."
"Calling all transitioners...."

If this forum wasn't as it is I might not have transitioned.
When I was relaxed, on other forums I would just stick to their relaxed forums.
This forum, having it's hair board for everyone, gave me a chance to see 'the other side' and learn enough to want to/be able to transition.

Recently I posted on a 'worst relaxer ever' thread. If there was a relaxed/natural segregation it would be unlikely I would go over to the relaxed board (I wouldn't want the relaxed people to think I was anti-relaxer or preaching about being natural vs having a relaxer) so would never see such a thread..

There are lots of other topics which would lose possibly valuable responses because a poster "isn't of that hair type" and wouldn't go over to the 'other' board very frequently.

Blossssom said:

100% NATURAL!

I remember you posted on a 'natural inspiratation' thread that you were expecting the natural in discussion to be type 4 but they were in fact a type 3.

Now, if you want to find threads just about type 4s, I think this is the wrong forum.

Why should this forum, a forum "dedicated to helping women of color reach their hair length goals" ("woman of colour", not specifically "women of type 4 hair") segregate it's (few!) non type 4 members so they don't p**s YOU off?

beyondcute said:
IEx
"Calling all 4b naturals...."
"Calling all transitioners...."

I see your point, BC, but my hair is a 4a/b. Why would I care about natural 1s, 2s, or 3s? And why would I care about those people who have that type hair trying to transition to whatever their goal is to be?

Stop looking at it as a form of segregation, but simply as a way of getting the information as quickly as possible.

I don't come here enough to say if other "natural" women outside of 4a/b want their own forum but if they do, I can understand why.

My hair is nothing like theirs and theirs is nothing like mine. Why waste our time weeding through posts trying to find tips, techniques and products that work for OUR type hair?

I am in FULL SUPPORT of different forums which cater to the different hair types.

Thank you *sniff*

PerfectDoak said:
I remember you posted on a 'natural inspiratation' thread that you were expecting the natural in discussion to be type 4 but they were in fact a type 3.

Now, if you want to find threads just about type 4s, I think this is the wrong forum.

Why should this forum, a forum "dedicated to helping women of color reach their hair length goals" ("woman of colour", not specifically "women of type 4 hair") segregate it's (few!) non type 4 members so they don't p**s YOU off?

See, that's where you're mistaken. I don't see "transitioners" as seeking hair length. I see "transitioners" as seeking first of all, HEALTHY HAIR, and secondly, seeking to wear their hair the way God intended. Transitioning for me has nothing to do with length.

However, since you bring it up and considering the title of this website, I can see how people who are 4a/b who wish to go natural might be in the wrong place.

So you are right and thanks for pointing that out. I will seek out other sources for my goal to be natural.

Blossssom said:
See, that's where you're mistaken. I don't see "transitioners" as seeking hair length. I see "transitioners" as seeking first of all, HEALTHY HAIR, and secondly, seeking to wear their hair the way God intended. Transitioning for me has nothing to do with length.

Some transitioners (not me) seek hair length. They aim to reach their goals while transitioning so they don't ever BC, they just grow out the relaxer.
Many of the ones after they BC do seek hair length too.

Blossssom said:
However, since you bring it up and considering the title of this website, I can see how people who are 4a/b who wish to go natural might be in the wrong place.

So you are right and thanks for pointing that out. I will seek out other sources for my goal to be natural.

I'm not saying they would be in the wrong place.
I'm saying that if you don't want to see anything BUT natural 4a/b threads you might be in the wrong place.

Last edited:
I think a natural forum would be great. I find myself on here less since I'm natural. Most of the threads are about relaxed hair and are basically useless to me. I don't feel like searching through tons of pages to find information dealing with natural hair.

Again,

I don't see any reason why there couldn't be a section for naturals/transitioners. Just like some of the other naturals mentioned, it's a bit harder to find information regarding natural hair on this site (most of the information seems to be geared toward people with relaxers)
It would just make it a little more user friendly and again I don't think they're intentions are to "segregate" the board, but just to make it a little easier to get around and find exactly what it is they're looking for.

Tene said:
I think a natural forum would be great. I find myself on here less since I'm natural. Most of the threads are about relaxed hair and are basically useless to me. I don't feel like searching through tons of pages to find information dealing with natural hair.

I would have to totally agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back