Naturals: Summer Time Styles

MizzBrit

so i guess the summer time is when most of us naturals let our hair out and loose..but im thinking i still want to protective style throughout it.im currently doing half wigs but i think that would be too hot here for any kind of weave..so i was wondering..how do you ladies wear your hair during the summer?

cocoaluv

Nothing to add because yesterday was my first day ever wearing my twa outside so i have been on fotki ever since looking up styles. I just love your hair missbrit. I think we are hair twins/cousins!!

lilsparkle825

WNGs or wet buns have really helped me make it thru the past two scorching hot summers here in VA. i'm going with a curly weave this summer so i can continue to do those but not have to worry about manipulation from detangling.

Lady S

The half wigs actually aren't bad. Especially if they're shorter and in my opinion, curlier. For example, in my experience, a straw set half wig that's out like an afro is going to be cooler then a long straight half wig. Last year I rocked a short, boy cut full cap and it was fine.

DarkChyld

I usually protective style through cornrows with extensions and twists with extensions. It's also helpful because I go swimming a lot and I don't want to destroy my progress.

IrisDaVirus

Jaw clips (short and medium sized) are my best friends in warm weather months. I stick to basic black or dark brown colors since they blend in with my hair the best. I'm always on the lookout for deals on hair accessories. Lately I've been doing good finding jaw clips at Family Dollar and Target.

Last edited:

Nonie

I'm going to keep the braids I have in. I wear hats a lot in the summer so my hair will either be left down, or I'll braid my micros into one plait in the back and tuck it under when I want a more polished look with a hat on.

ckisland

My initial response is, "Yay! Time to free the fro :grin:!" but then I realize that I'm spending the summer in the freaking desert. 1. My hair's too dang hot to wear loose 2. The sun dries the heck out of my hair. So I'll probably be going between wash n'goes and buns this summer.

Fhrizzball

I wear twists but then again I always wear twists. I took down my 8 week braided twists only to put in another set albeit they're much bigger for the 'springtime feel'. I might try to do twistouts while I'm at it though.

BlackMasterPiece

The summertime is when I get real creative and do a bajillion different looks.

I'll prolly do

- Fro's (some Kinky/ some curly)

- might rock my pixie braids again (*such* a liberating wash and go style)

- maybe twist extensions

- braid-outs

- straight sometimes

I'll be bouncing back and forth to and fro with my looks:yep:

NaturallyMo

I'm subbing to this thread. Last year, I didn't do much with my small fro. I am thinking of doing kinky twists this week, but I'm sure I won't keep them in longer than 4 weeks. I do look forward to being able to do my wash and gos again though. I go to the beach a lot during the summer, so I wonder how that'll affect my hair... Maybe I'll be protective styling through the florida heat. IDK. Oh, BTW MizzBrit, your hair in your avi is makin me so jealous right now.

glamazon386

I plan on installing a weave at the end of May. I've just been wearing a puff or bun lately. I wore mostly buns and half wigs last summer.

discodumpling

In the summer I do alot of Bantu's and the resulting knot-outs...I love the summer air & sun on my scalp! I also do all sorts of updos with my twists cause I can't stand hair touching me in 85+ degree weather!

LadyPBC

WOW - I've been hiding my hair since December. I'm looking forward to going free for the summer (lots of co-washes, jherri juice LOL!). I'm going to try to rock:
- wet buns (once i learn to conquer the coils)
- flat twist outs (love em)
- puffs

I'm subscribing cuz I need some suggestions too! Thanks for the thread!

Anew

so i guess the summer time is when most of us naturals let our hair out and loose..but im thinking i still want to protective style throughout it.im currently doing half wigs but i think that would be too hot here for any kind of weave..so i was wondering..how do you ladies wear your hair during the summer?​
Okay just wanted to say I Stan for your hair. And you look really good, congrats on the weight loss.

Determined22

Last summer I did kinky twists, cornrows & a wash-n-go on my TWA. I love wash-n-go's but now that my TWA is much longer, detangling after I've let my TWA shrink & coil up is a nightmare. Anyone got any suggestions on detangling 4a very coily hair? Just using lots of conditioner isn't working, stretching my hair from its shrunken coiled state is painful & time-consuming.

Last edited:

MsLizziA

Not at all, i have a sew-in right nah! I have my hands in my hair toooooo much and i needed a serious break so i just put a sew-in that matched my natural hair. Check out my fotki and look in my april section

Box braids...all summer. I'm the worst though. Pretty boring with my hair these days. But it frees up my time!

I want to get some braid extensions with human hair this go round. We'll see.

Avyn

Last summer I did kinky twists, cornrows & a wash-n-go on my TWA. I love wash-n-go's but now that my TWA is much longer, detangling after I've left my TWA shrink & coil up is a nightmare. Anyone got any suggestions on detangling 4a very coily hair? Just using lots of conditioner isn't working, stretching my hair from its shrunken coiled state is painful & time-consuming.

Only detangle in the shower under running water with the conditioner that gives you the best slip. This has saved many grueling hours trying to detangle after I shower.

Thanx for this thread OP!!!

Determined22

Only detangle in the shower under running water with the conditioner that gives you the best slip. This has saved many grueling hours trying to detangle after I shower.

Thanx for this thread OP!!!

I do that, and as soon as I'm out of the shower my hair immediately starts shrinking & coiling up on itself....so if I want to wear twists I have to comb out the coils all over again :wallbash:

Right now my answer is to wash in braids, but its taking FOREVER in the shower....:ohwell:

LongCurlz

It gets extremely hot and dry here in the summer so im still gonna wear my half wigs and every once and a while a wash n go

Amerie123

^^what kind of half wigs do you wear as a natural?? if you wear the straight ones, how do you get it to blend in everyday? if you get "natural looking" ones, which ones do you like??