Naturals! Pre-Shampoo/Ends Question!

Enyo

Hey Ladies,

My hair growth was going well until I was put on Lithium which causes me to shed a lot. My ends are also getting kind of raggedy. I've been putting Wild Grown on them at night and that's helped a lot, but I'm concerned about my shampoo. I try to do scalp only, but I end up using way too much shampoo so that I can spread the suds across my entire scalp without touching the middle/ends of my hair.

What do you all use to protect your hair when you shampoo? My scalp needs to be shampooed 2-3 times a week depending on the weather/product usage otherwise it smells like wet dog and has tangible build-up. I want to protect the dry middle/ends when I shampoo. Please tell me what you do and what products you use.

Last edited:

Eritreladiee

Well, I always prepoo with oil (olive/coconut oil and Brahmi) to combat dryness from shampooing. Also, I dilute my shampoo (sulfate free) with water which gives me better control in washing my scalp only. Another thing, if lithium is causing shedding, isn't there something else you can take instead? for me divalproex sodium has worked really well for the highs. if it's serious shedding, talk to your pdoc about it.

Nonie

I don't do anything special to my ends. I use moisturizing shampoos and while I apply the shampoo neat to my scalp, the hair itself usually gets a diluted version because after massaging my scalp to my heart's content/satisfaction, I start to spray my head with water from the shower head, and it is during this time that I squeeze my braids/twists as the shampoo runs down their length. Because I use moisturizing shampoo, I consider this a good thing for my hair so never think of my hair as needing "protection". Plus I love the smell of clean hair with a whiff of conditioner, and feel that the cleaner my hair is before conditioning, the better it smells and feels. So I don't cover my ends with anything during shampooing.

Guitarhero

Well, I always prepoo with oil (olive/coconut oil and Brahmi) to combat dryness from shampooing. Also, I dilute my shampoo (sulfate free) with water which gives me better control in washing my scalp only. Another thing, if lithium is causing shedding, isn't there something else you can take instead? for me divalproex sodium has worked really well for the highs. if it's serious shedding, talk to your pdoc about it.

Do you put the Brahmi on the scalp or ends?

Enyo

Thanks! I have some virgin olive oil, so I will try that tomorrow.

Depakote made made my hair fall out even worse plus I gained 10 pounds (which looks like 20 on my frame). My doctor has been trying to move me to other meds, but he is taking his time! :wallbash:

ms.blue

I use what oils I have like vatika, evco, evoo, pure vit. E oil etc. I use them as a prepoo & detangler. I actually believe imo, that vatika oil really helped w/ my shedding.

Enyo

I used to use Vatika oil a few years ago, but I moved away from the Indian area where I used to live. But I can probably order some online. Indians take haircare almost as seriously as we do!

chebaby

i always pre poo but rarely with an oil. i usually do so with a conditioner like ORS hair mayo. it smooths the ends and puts a coating on the hair so the shampoo isnt so harsh even though my shampoo is moisturizing anyway. it also moisturizes and strengthen the hair.

Enyo

I think I'm going to use Vatika Oil or this Bulgarian Lavender creme I found which states that you should put it in your hair overnight and shampoo out in the morning. I'm a PJ so probably both.

Lady S

I've put oil on the ends. Usually castor oil since it's soooooooo thick.

You can also try using those hair dye nozzle bottles you get from beauty supply stores to help keep the shampoo focused on the scalp.

Don't know about shedding. Protein helped me a lot, but that makes me think it was more breakage then shedding. A lot of posters have had success with garlic supplements.

I'm on lamictal and it hasn't had an effect on my hair. Sure, it tried to melt my brain when I increased the dosage too fast . . . but my hair was fine. :look:

Enyo

I'm actually being weaned off Lamictal because it keeps giving me full-body rashes. It was supposed to replace the Lithium (the drug that's making me shed) but the rash is a problem. Ironically, the only side-effect is the rash which is why my doctor wanted me on it. So until I find something that can replace lithium, I need to be proactive about my haircare. I'm finding a new brush and comb (going for the Mason Pearson line), pre-shampoo treatments, and a new leave-in. I have to step up my game.

The bottle idea sounds great! I will be getting one of those on my next trip to the Mega Beauty place (21 isles of hair, ya'll).

Enyo

For you all that use a lot of products - does it affect your pre-poo? I'm do my own version of the Juice Challenge and I'm wonder if the pre-poo will be as effective when I'm doing over days worth of juice and shea butter.