Naturals I have a question!

shae101s

How do you guys successfully seal your ends to retain growth...Do you twist then spritz the ends and seal, do you wet the hair and then moisturize and seal? What method do you find works well for you and have given your retention? Also this may sound dumb, but pardon my ignorance, how exactly do you ladies seal? As in how do you apply it..Spell it out for me...Detailed please :)

msa

I make sure to seal really well when I first do my style so that I just have to refresh until my next wash. Here's what I do:
1. Wash hair. Wrap a tshirt around to get some of the water out.
2. Section damp hair. I use water as my moisturizer so I just make sure my hair is damp-wet (not soaking wet).
3. Add castor oil to the length of the hair and comb through. Make sure ends are coated. I use enough to make sure the strands are thoroughly covered.
4. Twist. Then bantu knot, usually about 12-15. My hair gets more and more stretched as the days go by so after the first night I usually do about 7.
5. Every evening I add just a little water and more oil if I feel my hair dried out during the day or all the castor oil has absorbed. I wear a bantu-knot out every day and it actually won't dry out for at least 2 days without me adding anything to it.

When I wore wigs I would just rinse every morning and then coat my celie braids with castor oil and that worked really well. I like castor oil because it's thick and I feel like it helps protect my strands because it leaves a layer on them. And it makes my hair silky and soft.

kblc06

I've began to seal with vaseline (after I apply my leave-in and a light natural oil). It has really helped me to maintain split-free ends. As of now I use Chicoro's method for washing and conditioning (washing in braids, take down, apply conditioner, rinse while in braids, apply leave-in/light oil/vaseline, rebraid). Since its cold up here, I'm taking of advantage by keeping my hair protected underneath my wig while in the braids. I take them down every couple of days to apply MT to my scalp, remove shed hair and moisturize.

Last edited:

discobiscuits

i don't do anything really. i just cowash and leave some of the conditioner in and then (depending on what my day may be like or my style) i will do coconut oil (or not) and kccc (or not). that's it. i do the coconut oil more for shine & softness than "sealing". every now & then i may add some qhmet.

lilsparkle825

i don't seal...i wash, blot with a t-shirt (or towel if i am being lazy) and add my leave-in or styling products. every once in a blue moon i seal but that just leaves me with an oily neck more often than not, and now that it's cold i had to quit with the coconut oil. since i cowash every day or two it hasn't been a problem.

Fleurzty

I seal with Nourish and Shine. It is light enough not to make my hair sticky but heavy enough to keep it moisturized and split-free. I seal right after I get out of the shower. I apply the product to the ends only and go on to applying my regular products. In fact, I just posted a video on my blog where I seal my ends before applying my products. Check it out: http://www.textureplayground.com/blog

truequeen06

After cowashing or washing and deep conditioning while my hair is damp. It makes it easier the get all the strands moisturized. I section my hair in halves and then section off three parts in one of the halves and moisturize each separately, then apply oil the same way (throughout the length of the hair). I then detangle and style.

tkj25

i no-poo
spray with botanical moisturizer
apply leave-in
seal with oil (in cream form)
style (usually twists)

shae101s

thanks for the replies...because as of late I've been noticing that sealing works on and off..Sometimes it works then other times it does nothing? So I wanted to know what anyone else was doing....

Bumping to see even more replies!

MrsQueeny

If my hair has been washed, then I just seal with whatever I am using.
Pretty much every night, I spritz it with whatever I am using and then seal it. HTH Q

adw425

I get the best results when I CO wash by slathering dry hair conditioner mixed with shea butter, let it marinate for 30 to 60 minutes, rinse, apply creamy leave-in, seal with camellia oil, pull hair into ponytail securing with an ouchless elastic band, braid in one braid, tuck under and secure with a bobby pin and put on my silk scarf.

Cassandra1975

Great thread - I wondered about this as well. My hair is having a moment...I don't know what's going on but the breakage is not cute. I need to get it back on track asap. :ohwell: I guess I need to be more diligent about my ends...I just bought some coconut oil from Whole Foods, and I have my CoCasta Oil as well as some plain castor oil.

Libra08

I moisturize with Giovanni Direct at night and seal my ends with shea butter. Then I seal the length of my hair with coconut oil. Finally I seal with Castor Oil. I love this combo. I always wake up with soft, moisturized hair. It may seem like a lot of oil, but my hair just drinks this stuff up!

ShaniKeys

I use a spray bottle to moisturize my hair (CD black vanilla leave-in+Aloe Vera+soft water) and I moisturize in section. I then mix KBB hair milk and Mixed Chicks leave-in and put it on each section and then seal with a butter or pomade while I'm doing two strand twists (b/c it's winter time, I use oils in the summer).

Junebug D

Those of you who seal with oil... does your hair feel oily afterwards? like if you touch your hair there will be oil on your hands and oil on your scarf and pillowcase the morning after? How much oil do you use to prevent being an oily mess?

Bigghair

^^No oily feel for me.

I seal on wet hair with castor oil on the whole strand. I twist in 2 twist after cowashing. Then I untwist and split the section in two. I use a palm full of castor oil for each side of my head. Castor oil is the best for me for sealing in moisture.

Libra08

Those of you who seal with oil... does your hair feel oily afterwards? like if you touch your hair there will be oil on your hands and oil on your scarf and pillowcase the morning after? How much oil do you use to prevent being an oily mess?

My hair soaks up oil. I don't have any oily feeling or problems with oil on my scarf and pillowcase. My hair may feel weighed down, but never oily.

msa

^^No oily feel for me.

I seal on wet hair with castor oil on the whole strand. I twist in 2 twist after cowashing. Then I untwist and split the section in two. I use a palm full of castor oil for each side of my head. Castor oil is the best for me for sealing in moisture.

I LOVE castor oil, and I use it almost every day.

My hair soaks up oil. I don't have any oily feeling or problems with oil on my scarf and pillowcase. My hair may feel weighed down, but never oily.

Exactly. My hair pretty much absorbs the oil, I don't even notice oil in my bonnet or on my hands when I touch it. And, I use a lot. I'd say at least the size of two quarters (probably more) for a large twist (I do 12-15 usually for my bantu knot outs). Then I add a little bit more every day or every other day. It also helps stretch my hair out a lot. Maybe my hair just really likes oil.