Naturals: Humidity/Shrinkage advice and products? All welcome.

catgurl

Hello everyone,

This is my first post! (sorry its long) I've been a lurker for many months and recently paid my subscription.

I am looking for advice to help deal with humidity and shrinkage. I am natural, almost APL stretched (1 more inch yay!) and usually wear my hair curly although sometimes blowout for length.

I like big hair which is good cuz I live in the UK and the humidity is in effect all year long. But today my twist out went from just below SL to NL in 2 hours! :ohwell: I am willing to accept some shrinkage but this is getting riduculous! Will I have to be WL just to wear curly hair to my shoulders?!?

Does anyone have any advice, tips, or product recommendations? I saw that in the past people recommended Sabino Moisture Block. Has anyone used this for unstraighten natural 3c/4a hair? Its not available in UK but I would pay for Intl shipping if I could be sure it was worth it!

One last thing, please don't say PS only! I do wear buns when it is really rainy/snowy but I love wearing my hair out and can never do PS for more than 3-4 days in a row (unless I'm in twist extentions).

dyh080

Products containing petroleum and/or mineral oil work against humidity for me. Although they are considered the "devil" on this board, I have had no problems on my 3c/4a hair.
Only when I use water based products do I get humidity induced shrinkage.

melissa-bee

Hi, i think products with cones block out moisture. My heat protecter for now are lets jam heat styles and IC fantasia gel. And both help for not reverting on my transitioning hair. But what part of London do you live in? Cos there is no humidity in north london, only sometimes in the summer.

catgurl

Hi, what products and technique are you using? I feel these can help us help you.

I haven't settled on a final routine as I'm only just learning how to take care of my hair (tho old enough to know better). Here's my back-story, I'll try to brief.

I had a forced BC in 2007. Wore wigs, weaves and kinky twists extensions until 3 months ago, when lo and behold I discovered I was past SL stretched. :look:

Since most of what I did before discovering hair forums was damaging, I've decided to do the polar op. I am trying a low-poo, co-wash, no cones routine to see if it makes a difference.

Co-wash: 2x wk
Low-poo with non-sulfate poo: 1x wk depending on build-up
DC: 2x wk w/o heat
Moisture/Seal: 2x day morn/night
Style: AG pomade, Crown Pride pomade, Curl Keeper (sucks but its only humectant I have)
Bed: Twists or Braids w/ satin cap

catgurl

Hi, i think products with cones block out moisture. My heat protecter for now are lets jam heat styles and IC fantasia gel. And both help for not reverting on my transitioning hair. But what part of London do you live in? Cos there is no humidity in north london, only sometimes in the summer.

I live central London but north-ish. Weather said humidity in 88% today!

Cones! that may be my problem. I would go back to cones if they're water-soluable. Sulfate shampoos really dry my hair too much!

DirtyJerzeyGirly

I live central London but north-ish. Weather said humidity in 88% today!

Cones! that may be my problem. I would go back to cones if they're water-soluable. Sulfate shampoos really dry my hair too much!

Yeah, products with mineral oil and petroleum are good for this. One line that does have mineral oil in it is Miss Jessies. I don't know if they ship overseas, though. But as someone said, mineral oil is considered the devil to some, but to me, I use it and my hair loves it :grin:. I too am natural and get shrinkage. But when I use miss jessies it holds the shrinkage down. As far as sulfate free shampoos, a few that I have used are Loreal Everpure Moisture sulfate-free shampoo and Naked Naturals. Some other brands that are sulfate free are Aubrey, Elasta qp (I think), Trader Joes.....there are some more but I can't think of them.

keriplz

Great thread! I really want to know about the shrinkage issue too. I feel like the more my hair grows, the shorter it looks! :(

mscocoface

I have been a frenemie of shrinkage so I don't have a lot of advice. I know when I wear my own hair and I have braids or twists in order to elongate them I will braid them up each night and when I take them down in the morning they come out longer.

As for wearing the hair out. I am not sure your hair type but tightlycurl I think has a great site talking about what she does.

There is shingling and other things I hope some ladies chime in on. I have had no success with those.

http://www.tightlycurly.com/welcome/

Welcome aboard and enjoy your journey! :yep:

Also look at some of the youtubes, they may be helpful also.

SEMO

Hello everyone,

This is my first post! (sorry its long) I've been a lurker for many months and recently paid my subscription.

I am looking for advice to help deal with humidity and shrinkage. I am natural, almost APL stretched (1 more inch yay!) and usually wear my hair curly although sometimes blowout for length.

I like big hair which is good cuz I live in the UK and the humidity is in effect all year long. But today my twist out went from just below SL to NL in 2 hours! :ohwell: I am willing to accept some shrinkage but this is getting riduculous! Will I have to be WL just to wear curly hair to my shoulders?!?

Does anyone have any advice, tips, or product recommendations? I saw that in the past people recommended Sabino Moisture Block. Has anyone used this for unstraighten natural 3c/4a hair? Its not available in UK but I would pay for Intl shipping if I could be sure it was worth it!

One last thing, please don't say PS only! I do wear buns when it is really rainy/snowy but I love wearing my hair out and can never do PS for more than 3-4 days in a row (unless I'm in twist extentions).

All jokes aside, you may indeed have to be WL to wear your hair shoulder length curly. That's what it's taken for me. I have serious, serious shrinkage. And though I'm WL, my hair still sits around shoulder length fully shrunken (as depicted in my siggy below--the pic on the right is half straight, half curly w/ full shrinkage).

I know that's probably NOT what you wanted to hear though. But really, I just had to learn to embrace my shrinkage and let it work in my favor. B/c in reality, I think my shrinkage has helped my hair to grow longer easier. B/c as my hair grows it still takes about the same amount of effort to handle it, and I don't have my hair down my back rubbing against my clothes (possibly causing breakage). At least these are the things I tell myself. :lachen:

ETA:
I just realized I didn't even try to answer your original question. I find that Africa's Best Texture My Way Curl cream helps my curls not to shrink up so much. Also, gel helps with this also (but I don't like to put gel in my hair, so I don't do this often). The gel I like (when I do use gel) is either IC Fantasia Sparkelites (for color-treated hair) or Eco-Styler gel.

Also, pulling down gently on the ends of my hair (after it's at least 80% dry) does help to stretch my hair out some.

Last edited:

catgurl

Thank you everyone who responded. I am still learning how to use the board as a paid member and I lost my own thread. lol! :blush: Just found the Subscribe option :yep:

Update:

I tried using IC Fantasia gel with my twist-out this time. Applied small dollop to wet hair after wash, DC and leave-in. Result: very little shrinkage (although it was not as wet and humid that day) but my hair was drier than usual and still is 3 days later! Not happy.

However, I think gel is probably the solution tho and will keep experimenting with products.

Also found out that CHS Curl keeper is meant to be used under gel. So will try that next time.

darlingdiva

ITA w/ the poster who suggested products with mineral oil & petrolatum. They do keep the frizz and shrinkage at bay.

If you want more natural-based products, there is Hairveda's Almond Glaze.