naturals: how do you keep your hair at night?

LaBelleLL

This question is for women with natural hair. After putting in your products at night (moisture & sealing, etc.) - how do you keep your hair? Do you braid it, wrap it with a scarf? Do you tie it in a bun, ends deeply tucked inside? I am curious to hear some ideas....

keepithealthy

Well I'm newly natural and still learning. Currently rocking a twa. What I've been doing is after co-washing and sealing my hair I sleep with a plastic cap and a silk cap on my head. Works like a charm for me. When I wake up in the morning my hair is still a bit moist and fluffy. :)

JinaRicci

that's great. I'm really lazy so I don't do anything at night unless I'm doing a pre-poo with oil overnight. I hope you keep up those good habits!

mariamichelle

I put my hair in a loose bun and put a plastic bag and a satin cap over it. I never sleep with loose hair, my hair would be a tangled mess in the morning.

fyb87

Very loose ponytail tied with a ribbon or satin scarf at the very top of my head (pineapple). Then most times a tie scarf around my head (not around my ponytail). Sometimes I fall asleep without the scarf.

Cassandra1975

Flat twist, about 8 - 10 twists, and sleep with a scarf on. My hair shrinks like crazy. If I did not do this, my hair would be a matted, tangled nightmare in the mornings. If I was wearing wash and go's, I would just tie my hair up with a scarf at night, but I would detangle in the morning with the conditioner on my hair, before putting it in a puff.

Ronnieaj

If I'm in twists I just sleep with a satin bonnet on. The scarf flattens my twists too much. If I'm wng, I tie a scarf on it and then put a bonnet on. If I'm rockin my fro, I braid the hair down, then use a scarf and bonnet. I never NEVER sleep with my hair out.

AnotherLevel

*Transitioning* but I sleep with my hair braided, either 5 cornrows for a wavy fro, or 16 individual braids (with ends in rods) for a curly fro.

ETA: ...with a scarf or satin bonnet of course. I also sleep on a satin pillow case.

Last edited:

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
I just stopped sleeping with my hair loose under a satin bonnet, but now as my hair is longer I do cornrows and satin bonnet.

melodies815

I twist and put on my satin scarf. If I don't twist, my satin scarf is still the rule. Anything tighter "mooshes" my style.

cj

Whimsy

I sleep on a satin pillowcase, with my hair either in a braid or two or in a loose pony, tied with a scarf.

adw425

High or low ponytail with ouchless elastic band; after sealing, twisted or braided, then ends tucked under and head tied with a silk scarf.

mscocoface

depends on the hair style but I always, always have a scarf, bonnet something covering at night and silk pillow cases. Even have an extra pillow case for traveling when I need it.

Gibsongal

I usually wear my hair in twists and cover with a satin bonnet, though I'm looking for an alternative. It does help my hair, but it doesn't make me look sexy. My SO says he doesn't care, but I beg to differ. I need to find some cute scarves or find a satin pillowcase.

naturalmanenyc

I tried loose hair and that was a mess in the morning. I pull it into a low ponytail or bun and sleep with a silk scarf. Tonight I plan to put in some flat twist since I am using a half wig for the rest of the week. I wish I could cornrow my own hair :-(

Lei*Lei

I make about 6 big knots and secure them with a bobby pin. I also cover with a satin cap. I use to just put the cap on over my hair loose without even combing it...but i paid the price for that. I would do wash and go's every day without detangling and i had like, 6 locs in the middle of my head and tangles galore. I had dh detangle for me last night and i will never go that long without detangling and separating my hair at night again!