Naturals how big is your afro??

Kayanna1212

And how do you make a poof pony with scrunchies??
And how long did it take your afro to become big?
Did you Big Chop?
How big is your afro?

Nonie

LOL, thanks to shrinkage, my afro is the same size it was after my BC to about 3 inches. :lachen:

Before 2007 after the BC:

After 2009 (stretched it's a little past shoulder but you wouldn't be able to tell :giggle: ):

BlackMasterPiece

I can't do Pony's with my natural hair my hair is too thick, my natual hair can only do puffs. I can do pony's if its twisted up braided up or straightened.....I used to feel bad about that but then I was like ummm I have a Diana Ross sized fro.....I have no room to complain:lol:
Depends on what big means to you, but big by my standards......took me about 2.5yrs
Did you Big Chop?
No, I was a long-term transitioner but I kinda feel like BCing is the best way to go natural.
How big is your afro?
It's so big that its starting to hang:lachen: it'll be huge on the sides but its hard for me to get volume on the top anymore:rolleyes: but I'm enjoying it I wanted it this huge so hey *shrugs*

Nonie

I've never used scrunchies. I use the big friendly elastic thingies (Are they by Goody?). My hair isn't long enough to make a nice healthy pony puff so I just make a pulled-back puff.

I just comb my hair in a backward direction (Usually my hair had been in big plaits and is well moisturized with S Curl after a night of baggying). Then I wear the elastic thingy like a necklace as I smooth my hair back with my hands. Next I hold the elastic thingy at the front and holding it against my nape, I lift the front over my face and twist it to cross at my forehead.

Then I start to slide the cross back, making sure to keep it crossed firmly against my head by pulling tighter as I move it backward. By the time I get to the point where I need it to be, I have enough length in the loop I was holding to stretch it over the puff and double it up.

Alternatively, I create the cross over at the nape my lifting the front over my face to my hairline, then I cross over the back and use my fingers to slide the front back while I tighten it by pulling the cross part to keep it from slacking. This works better coz you can pull the cross over away from your hair so you're not getting strands caught in the cross. Once you have enough length, you loop it over your puff and double up.

If the elastic is too short to double up, you can create a bow by just tying a double knot.

Combing out the puff with a pick creates a nice round dome:

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

Nonie I LOOOOVVVEE your hair texture!!!!! those coils are delish:lick: looking!!! You have the most veratile texture of them allll love it!!!:grin:

Kayanna1212

I can't do Pony's with my natural hair my hair is too thick, my natual hair can only do puffs. I can do pony's if its twisted up braided up or straightened.....I used to feel bad about that but then I was like ummm I have a Diana Ross sized fro.....I have no room to complain:lol:
Depends on what big means to you, but big by my standards......took me about 2.5yrs
No, I was a long-term transitioner but I kinda feel like BCing is the best way to go natural.
It's so big that its starting to hang:lachen: it'll be huge on the sides but its hard for me to get volume on the top anymore:rolleyes: but I'm enjoying it I wanted it this huge so hey *shrugs*
OMG you have GORGEOUS HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jupitermoon

I use Flexi 8's and Hair Zings. I use conditioner and my hands to slick it back.

The shortest my hair has ever been is shoulder length, so I've always had big hair.

Did you Big Chop?
No. I was a long term transitioner.

How big is your afro?
I never comb my hair dry but I would imagine it would be pretty big.

Attachments

• DSC00820-vi.jpg
    DSC00820-vi.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00788-vi.jpg
    DSC00788-vi.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 64

ToyToy

And how do you make a poof pony with scrunchies?? I don't use scrunchies, but just normal elastic hairbands (the ones without the piece of metal)
And how long did it take your afro to become big? I'd say about 2.5-3 years.
Did you Big Chop? Yes, I did in February 06.
How big is your afro? Not sure how big it is, but I can easily pull it back into pony puff, so I guess big enough :).

(Sorry, I don't have any pictures with my hair in a puff :()

Nonie

Nonie I LOOOOVVVEE your hair texture!!!!! those coils are delish:lick: looking!!! You have the most veratile texture of them allll love it!!!:grin:

Goodness, I'm so flattered. I've been admiring YOUR hair like forever! That mane in your siggy pic is just wild. :notworthy

Nonie

I use Flexi 8's and Hair Zings. I use conditioner and my hands to slick it back.

The shortest my hair has ever been is shoulder length, so I've always had big hair.

Did you Big Chop?
No. I was a long term transitioner.

How big is your afro?
I never comb my hair dry but I would imagine it would be pretty big.

Dayummmm...I feel faint. :ill:

Your hair is to die for! It's so freaking beautiful. :cry2:

jupitermoon

Dayummmm...I feel faint. :ill:

Your hair is to die for! It's so freaking beautiful. :cry2:

Thank you. I think your hair is really pretty. Unfortunately, I can't get a proper rounded afro like yours. My picked out hair tends to hang and looks more like a blow out... :nono:

Nonie

Thank you. I think your hair is really pretty. Unfortunately, I can't get a proper rounded afro like yours. My picked out hair tends to hang and looks more like a blow out... :nono:

I have a friend who hates rounded afros so she'd kill for your hair. She never picks out her hair but does WNGs coz that hanging look is more appealing to her. I'd kill for your length. *sniff* Oh what wouldn't I do with that length.

Afrobuttafly

Blown out my fro is fairly impressive...
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Yes I BC'd.
It took about 6-8months I didn't realize how big it was until I blew it out.
Not sure about "poof pony" :perplexed someone explain.
Is it this?

^that is my hair put into a puff after my blow out. I use a big black elastic band with no silver thingy on it.
HTH :grin:

Last edited:

Platinum

Blown out my fro is fairly impressive...
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Yes I BC'd.
It took about 6-8months I didn't realize how big it was until I blew it out.
Not sure about "poof pony" :perplexed someone explain.
Is it this?

^that is my hair put into a puff after my blow out. I use a big black elastic band with no silver thingy on it.
HTH :grin:

:thud: I can't wait until I have enough NG to rock a fro like yours. Great job!:afro:

Rei

too small! :cry3::cry3: its in my siggie. My hair shrinks like crazy. (It's also cbl in the front and sl in the back i guess? not apl yet though.) and I still can't put it in a puff. I seriously have not figured that out yet. It always slips out of the elastic/stocking. Maybe its too short idk

14got

mine either I just bc-ed in june
I use the legs of pantyhose because I like to do a bow

I have never stayed natural long enough to do a ponytail

BeExceptional26

Well Im only 3C so i dont know if i really count BUT.....

My hair is this big :grin:

how do you make a poof pony with scrunchies?? I simply let my hair air dry and then just lightly pull it back and tie it with the scrunchie... nothing special
how long did it take your afro to become big? I remember my hair as always being bigger
Did you Big Chop? I never did a big chop, i kind of transitioned without really thinking about it i just decided that i hated the state my hair was in and didnt want to try relaxing it anymore so i just let it grow and grow
How big is your afro? See above... of course i can always make it bigger haha sometimes i think it has no limits :lachen:

MizzBrit

And how do you make a poof pony with scrunchies?? the same way i make a regular ponytail on relaxed hair...but my hair will be stretched.
And how long did it take your afro to become big? i dnt think mine is big until it starts "hanging" so id give it another year..with will make 2.5 years
Did you Big Chop? no..cut off relaxed ends gradually
How big is your afro? check my avi

:grin::grin:

tocktick

When blown-out, it's quite big. It's actually too big to stick up now, it just flops. Yet it's not as big as other afros I've seen IRL and online though but my hair is only 9-10 inches/APL. When I do a semi-shrunken fro, it looks about 5" long. If I band my hair until it's about 70% straight, my afro looks big but it kind of hangs instead of completely sticking up.

It took about 13 months after I BC'd (with 2" of hair) to get a afro that looked medium/big. You can see in my avatar my afro at 13 months. The difference between then and now as I've touched upon above is that at 13 months, my hair did not hang whatsoever.

eta: I can't do puff ponys - my hair is too dense for all that. I just do regular puffs. Here are pics of my hair back in May 09. I had to fluff my hair up a lot for this look. Still not sure how I feel about a floppy afro.

Last edited:

Bulletproof

tHicK hAIr dOn't CarE
I've never used scrunchies. I use the big friendly elastic thingies (Are they by Goody?). My hair isn't long enough to make a nice healthy pony puff so I just make a pulled-back puff.

I just comb my hair in a backward direction (Usually my hair had been in big plaits and is well moisturized with S Curl after a night of baggying). Then I wear the elastic thingy like a necklace as I smooth my hair back with my hands. Next I hold the elastic thingy at the front and holding it against my nape, I lift the front over my face and twist it to cross at my forehead.

Then I start to slide the cross back, making sure to keep it crossed firmly against my head by pulling tighter as I move it backward. By the time I get to the point where I need it to be, I have enough length in the loop I was holding to stretch it over the puff and double it up.

Alternatively, I create the cross over at the nape my lifting the front over my face to my hairline, then I cross over the back and use my fingers to slide the front back while I tighten it by pulling the cross part to keep it from slacking. This works better coz you can pull the cross over away from your hair so you're not getting strands caught in the cross. Once you have enough length, you loop it over your puff and double up.

If the elastic is too short to double up, you can create a bow by just tying a double knot.

Combing out the puff with a pick creates a nice round dome:

Blah blah blah about hair Who the heck does your eyebrows is what I want to know? How can they be that perfect. Full, arched, not a stray hair. Why must you do these things to me Nonie?

I have been admiring the sheen in your signature for a while now MizzBrit, care to let me know what you are using?