I feel like texturizing! Naturals help me!!

firecracker

:mad: Ok ya'll I did the big chop March 05 (1 1/2in). My hair inspiration is Joan from girlfriends can't remember her name and bubblnbrwnsugar. I want to grow my hair back long but natural. I would like to rock every size/style afro during the growning out process. I got a dye job June 05 and I now have 4 inches. I want to texturize because I feel my hair will grow faster and the curl pattern will relax. I feel like a failure for even considering this. I love my afro but I cannot rock twist right now because they won't stand up. I was rocking the knotted afro by doing twist outs w/o manually removing the twist. I'm lazy and being natural is better because of this. What do you ladies do when your bored?

Cichelle

Firstly, you are NOT a failure for considering texturizing. You wouldn't be a failure if you actually did texturize! But I understand what you mean. Have you tried using different, pretty hair accessories? I mean like scarves, hair clips, etc? Also, I hate to say this but maybe you just need to wait it out. Concentrate on something other than your hair. Sometimes we can get restless, especially when we want our hair to grow. A texturizer won't make your hair grow faster. But of course, it will relax the curl and make it appear longer. A texturizer might damage your hair. You just never know. And then what happens if you don't like it? You have to transition all over again and you'll be back to square one. You say you want your natural hair to be long. Try to remember that goal, because once you texturize, it obviously isn't natural anymore.

In the end, you should do what you want. I just suggest you maybe write down on a piece of paper the pros and cons of texturizing, with attention to your goals. Then take some time and decide what you really want to do.

Good luck!

jainygirl

When i'm bored I twist my hair and leave it like that. That way my hair looks cute and I dont have to think about it for days to a week at a time. That or I wash my hair and force myself to learn a new hairstyle. That's how I learned to cornrow-- plain boredom :look: . Or I get all curious at what length my hair is and wash my hair and stretch it out and wear a puff. I'm hair lazy as well and being natural is helping me right along. I like having styles that last for days to a week with little to no manipulation after I create the style. I know i'm a bad hair advisor :lachen:. Trust me i'm in the middle of yet another inbetween stage and have been rocking twists almost 24/7 until I get through this stage. It will pass for you as well. Good luck ;). -- jainygirl

AFashionSlave

latia said:
:mad: Ok ya'll I did the big chop March 05 (1 1/2in). My hair inspiration is Joan from girlfriends can't remember her name and bubblnbrwnsugar. I want to grow my hair back long but natural. I would like to rock every size/style afro during the growning out process. I got a dye job June 05 and I now have 4 inches. I want to texturize because I feel my hair will grow faster and the curl pattern will relax. I feel like a failure for even considering this. I love my afro but I cannot rock twist right now because they won't stand up. I was rocking the knotted afro by doing twist outs w/o manually removing the twist. I'm lazy and being natural is better because of this. What do you ladies do when your bored?

First of all - Texturizers will not help your hair grow faster.
Second of all - Don't be so hard on yourself.
I went back to relaxers twice back in the 90's before I went natural. As a matter of fact, I found this board because I was searching for a natural way to texturize my hair.

Remember: For some people, going natural takes a lot of patience. It's often a shock to people because many naturals want Cree Summer / Scary Spice hair but their hair texture is more like Macy Gray. (I'm not saying that this is your dilemma)

My advice to you is don't give up on your natural hair yet and learn to enjoy how your hair looks now. If you stay natural or if you texturize it will not make your hair grow any faster. Right now you should be enjoying cute shorter hairstyles. You can do more than you think you can with 4”of hair.

You just chopped in March. Give yourself a little more time, because once you texturize you will have to cut off your hair again if you decide to go natural once more.

What is your routine? What products are you using?

Maybe we can help you figure out why your hair is knotting up.

firecracker

AFashionSlave said:
I went back to relaxers twice back in the 90's before I went natural. As a matter of fact, I found this board because I was searching for a natural way to texturize my hair.

Remember: For some people, going natural takes a lot of patience. It's often a shock to people because many naturals want Cree Summer / Scary Spice hair but their hair texture is more like Macy Gray. (I'm not saying that this is your dilemma)

My advice to you is don't give up on your natural hair yet and learn to enjoy how your hair looks now. If you stay natural or if you texturize it will not make your hair grow any faster. Right now you should be enjoying cute shorter hairstyles. You can do more than you think you can with 4”of hair.

You just chopped in March. Give yourself a little more time, because once you texturize you will have to cut off your hair again if you decide to go natural once more.

Thanks ladies for your words of encouragement. :) I know this is an in between stage/struggle. I just took out some braids for variety. Ok let me give you guys a rundown. I used have a texturizer prior to growing back my hair in 2001. I used a motions relaxer and s curl products for texturizers plus short cuts. I had great results. My hair grows at really good rate and my hair will be back shoulder length by this time next year. Relaxed it takes a year to grow back shoulder length. I am giving it more time to grown in its natural state. This is my first time with natural hair since probably 5 grade. My hair is crazy and different textures on the sides and top. I can rock almost any style and I have. It's just so hard rite now because I cannot stand hair products in my hair! It erks me. Jainygirl I cannot wear the two strand twist right now because I don't like the flat look. The top won't stand up. The top of my hair is finer and has larger moisture retaining curls. The sides have tiny non defining dry ass curls. My stylist says I need to brush daily so my natural hair oils will distribute/return to the sides. :confused: Afashionslave I want the knotted afro look but it is too time consuming w/o the two strand twist because with the twist I just sleep on it, the twist loosen up creating a hellva style. This last for like two weeks. I get soo many compliments from everyone, everywhere. I don't have regime. I started out trying varied products. I will try more but I cannot tolerate products in my hair. If I don't twist I pick out my coily curls while reading or bored. Child if you came to my house you would find millions of curly hairs around this here desk chair. My family and friends remind me to stop picking in my hair. I did this when I was younger also to my edges. LOL I can say from prior short texturized hair that frequent weekly washes work for me. You guys my mom was soo upset I cut my hair again she was physically sick. :ohwell: I told her to get over it cuz I am not a Glamour girl like you think. I am a Bippy at heart damn it!! I love jeans not suits!! I can do the natural thing! I guess I just need ya'll support during times like this. I am going to try Aveda Brillant line. I almost used that motions perm in the closet but after spraying with Pantene light spray conditioner detangler. I realized if I use this daily w/some 360 blowout I can rock my natural without so much shrinkage or the pretty coily curls I like to pick out like an arse. Ya'll I really want an Angela Davis Afro that I can flat iron when I want to be glam. I am tired of being a slave to stylist and hair!!! I know that I would be like this no matter what type of hair I have. If I had a hook in the back of my head I would go completely bald because I could rock that too but my heads flat in the back.:perplexed I'd get tired of that too. I am just have to accept that I never have been one of those persons with a set fashion style. I rock all types of style at any given moment. I am not letting go of my natural glory!!! Really my hair issues has alot to do with where my head is now. I am trying to Simplify my life in every area. I thought natural was a way to simplify since I can't stand the hair woo's of a black woman. I feel like a slave man!! Ya'll thanks again and please give me some products to sample for 4b coily hair.

AFashionSlave

OK latia - here ya go

Thanks ladies for your words of encouragement. I know this is an in between stage/struggle. I just took out some braids for variety. Ok let me give you guys a rundown. I used have a texturizer prior to growing back my hair in 2001. I used a motions relaxer and s curl products for texturizers plus short cuts. I had great results. My hair grows at really good rate and my hair will be back shoulder length by this time next year. Relaxed it takes a year to grow back shoulder length. I am giving it more time to grown in its natural state.

Relaxed hair does not grow faster than natural hair. It may take you longer to see growth because of shrinkage but that does not mean that natural hair grows at a slower rate than relaxed or texturized hair.

This is my first time with natural hair since probably 5 grade. My hair is crazy and different textures on the sides and top.

Your hair is not crazy. There are a lot of naturals who have a mixture of textures.
Here is a closeup of my hair texture. I have curls on top and napps below:

This is what my hair looks like after a washing before I use conditioner:

I can rock almost any style and I have. It's just so hard rite now because I cannot stand hair products in my hair! It erks me.

You are not alone. I don’t use any products in my hair anymore. I use Dr.. Bronners castile soap & el cheapo conditioner on my hair. I like suave humectant, daily defense tender apple & therma silk for curly hair. When I rinse out the conditioner I leave a little bit in my hair before I style. That’s it!!!
There are a lot of natppturals who do not use any products on their hair.
(I’ll send you a pm of my favorite naptual head – I don’t’ want to post her information on the board without her permission.)

Jainygirl I cannot wear the two strand twist right now because I don't like the flat look. The top won't stand up. The top of my hair is finer and has larger moisture retaining curls. The sides have tiny non defining dry ass curls.
My stylist says I need to brush daily so my natural hair oils will distribute/return to the sides.

You do not have to brush your hair every day if you don’t want to. I brush & comb my hair once every week or two.

Afashionslave I want the knotted afro look but it is too time consuming w/o the two strand twist because with the twist I just sleep on it, the twist loosen up creating a hellva style. This last for like two weeks. I get soo many compliments from everyone, everywhere.

I don’t quite understand what the knotted afro look is - Do you mean bantu knots or china bumps?
If you love this “twist loosen up” style then you should wear it until you figure out other ways to do your hair easily.

I don't have regime. I started out trying varied products. I will try more but I cannot tolerate products in my hair.

Like I said earlier, you do not have to use products if you do not want to use them.
You should make up a basic regimin and make changes as you go along. There is no need to go crazy spening a ton of money on products. Just make a couple of changes to your routine at a time.

If I don't twist I pick out my coily curls while reading or bored. Child if you came to my house you would find millions of curly hairs around this here desk chair. My family and friends remind me to stop picking in my hair. I did this when I was younger also to my edges. LOL

LOL! I agree with your family you should stop picking at your hair.

I can say from prior short texturized hair that frequent weekly washes work for me. You guys my mom was soo upset I cut my hair again she was physically sick. I told her to get over it cuz I am not a Glamour girl like you think. I am a Bippy at heart damn it!! I love jeans not suits!! I can do the natural thing! I guess I just need ya'll support during times like this.

What’s a Bippy?

I am going to try Aveda Brillant line. I almost used that motions perm in the closet but after spraying with Pantene light spray conditioner detangler. I realized if I use this daily w/some 360 blowout I can rock my natural without so much shrinkage or the pretty coily curls I like to pick out like an arse. Ya'll I really want an Angela Davis Afro that I can flat iron when I want to be glam. I am tired of being a slave to stylist and hair!!!

You do not have to be a slave to the stylist. I have not had much luck with Aveda Brillant I used to use it about 5-6 years ago. Maybe you will have good luck with it. If you don’t want to go back to a texturizer then I suggest that you throw away or give away that perm. Shrinkage is just part of having natural hair & you should get used to it if you are ever going to be happy. I have worn my natural hair in every style that I can imagine, but I am also very comfortable with shrinkage.

I know that I would be like this no matter what type of hair I have. If I had a hook in the back of my head I would go completely bald because I could rock that too but my heads flat in the back.erplexed I'd get tired of that too. I am just have to accept that I never have been one of those persons with a set fashion style. I rock all types of style at any given moment.

You have no idea what you would be like if your hair type was different. Just relax and learn to have fun with your hair.

I am not letting go of my natural glory!!! Really my hair issues has alot to do with where my head is now. I am trying to Simplify my life in every area. I thought natural was a way to simplify since I can't stand the hair woo's of a black woman. I feel like a slave man!! Ya'll thanks again and please give me some products to sample for 4b coily hair.

Natural hair can be simple or complicated. It all depends on what you make of it.

firecracker

:) :) :) :) :) :)
AFashionSlave said:
OK latia - here ya go

Relaxed hair does not grow faster than natural hair. It may take you longer to see growth because of shrinkage but that does not mean that natural hair grows at a slower rate than relaxed or texturized hair.

:lol: I know but you get to see the new growth better!!

Your hair is not crazy. There are a lot of naturals who have a mixture of textures.
Ok my hair ain't crazy but I sure as helz is!! LOL:lachen:

Here is a closeup of my hair texture. I have curls on top and napps below:
Dat's me dat's me!!!

This is what my hair looks like after a washing before I use conditioner:

Your pic below is how I like to wear my hair some days. Just Natural. I'm sooo jealous your my inspirations also!!! I am drooling over here.

I don’t quite understand what the knotted afro look is - Do you mean bantu knots or china bumps? I haven't heard of china bumps. Not bantu knots. Knotted afro is when the twist comes out at the root but stays on the end. I usually spray elasta curl moisturizer on the roots to make them unravel.

You should make up a basic regimin and make changes as you go along. I am going to do just that because I can use the pantene to comb out daily w/washing.

LOL! I agree with your family you should stop picking at your hair.
:lachen: I know I am catching myself.

What’s a Bippy? Black hippie:lol: I have always had a boho chic thang going every summer. ie;raggedy jeans, baby t, funky belts, plenty scarfs & jazzy hats.

I have not had much luck with Aveda Brillant I used to use it about 5-6 years ago. Why didn't you like it?

Shrinkage is just part of having natural hair & you should get used to it if you are ever going to be happy. I have worn my natural hair in every style that I can imagine, but I am also very comfortable with shrinkage.
I like most days but I want a larger afro. Hey do you use surge also?

You have no idea what you would be like if your hair type was different. Just relax and learn to have fun with your hair.
LOL yes I do cuz I'm going thru it now. My relaxed hair was beautiful but I want to love my natural hair too. It's more deserving of my attention cuz it keeps growing back after constant abuse.

Natural hair can be simple or complicated. It all depends on what you make of it. So true! You helped get thru this and am taking all ya'll advise.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I tell ya, don't feel bad. I texturized less than a month after my first BC. I was so sure of myself at first and when I texturized, I felt soo bad. So I grew out the texturizer and researched anything I could find on natural hair and styles. I finally feel like this time I'll be successful because I educated myself. It took me some time before I felt I was ready to bc again. Bublin and Jainygirl were very instrumental in my choice to remain natural. I look at their photos and get encouraged to remain natural. There are so many naturals on the board so when u get bored with your hair, eyeball theirs. I can't wait til my hair is long enough to even make a puff like Bublin does! :violin: :lol:

divine

Was in ur post two months ago.....
I ended up getting braids and a wig. Just try doing that for a year. If you are still not happy within a year then go for it.

firecracker

:) Hey ladies I am feeling normal and happy with my hair again. Last night I put 10 plaits in my head. I didn't even think I could braid it. So I will do this nightly and oil my hair w/du sharme hair creme. I am going to add long human hair to my 10 plaits for the island gurl look I used to rock back in 1989. LOL I'm taking u way back. You guys gave me so much hope with all these wonderful albums and inspiration. I think I am going to start a journal on my fotki to assist me during this transition. I don't have any natural friends. They don't have the guts those sluts:lachen:!! Yesterday they were looking all up side my head talking about you need to go head and perm girl. Bald head hatas!!! I am sticking to my gurls on the board that have mad style and knowledge!!

Netta1

AFashionSlave said:

True that!

crml_buttafly

latia said:
:) Hey ladies I am feeling normal and happy with my hair again. Last night I put 10 plaits in my head. I didn't even think I could braid it. So I will do this nightly and oil my hair w/du sharme hair creme. I am going to add long human hair to my 10 plaits for the island gurl look I used to rock back in 1989. LOL I'm taking u way back. You guys gave me so much hope with all these wonderful albums and inspiration. I think I am going to start a journal on my fotki to assist me during this transition. I don't have any natural friends. They don't have the guts those sluts:lachen:!! Yesterday they were looking all up side my head talking about you need to go head and perm girl. Bald head hatas!!! I am sticking to my gurls on the board that have mad style and knowledge!!

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

kristina

Good for you. Waiting to give your natural hair a chance is a very good idea. I gave myself six months before deciding to stay natural and just in a few months I learn so many little ways to make my hair easier to manage. There's nothing wrong with texturizing but getting a texturizer with not magically cure all your hair issues. In fact, it might create new ones. For example, I texturized twice before I went natural- the first time my hair fell out in clumps right after the process and I ran to braids. Like a masocist I tried again and the second time, my hair looked nice but it still was difficult to detangle and unlike my natural hair, it couldn't handle even gentling combing- I had breakage galore and ran back to braids again just because I couldn't take all the hair bits all over the place. And it won't promote hair growth.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Just when I was gonna delete my pics from my fotki album.....
Wow, I didn't think folks admired my hair to the point of keeping them encouraged to stay natural. You ladies have given me a reason to keep my album open and to UPDATE this month!

To latia- you are not alone with those feelings of getting a texturizer or relaxer. The things that keep me from doing something drastic like this are:
1. How will I look getting a relaxer/texturizer when I have been encouraging others to go natural or stay natural?
2. Do you know how much stylists charge? GEEZ.
3. I have been natural for almost three years and my hair is so long- it is past brastrap.
4. I can get up and go after I sleep- literally. Well, I do have to put a little water in it,but that's it. Very low maintainance.
5. Oh yeah, my hair is almost Joan's length in it's natural, shrunken state- is it really that crucial to have it permanently straightened,just so I can 'see' the length?

These are just a few pick me ups whenever I am discouraged. I don't know why we tend to think that a texturizer/relaxer is a 'cure all' for any hair ailment we are going through.

I REALLY recommend the the Curly Custard from kinky-curly.com. It will provide you with the texturizer look INSTANTLY. Good stuff:up:

firecracker

:grin: Please don't take your gorgeous pics down. You are what inspired me to want natural hair. I am going to stay focused and try more styles. I am going to the bss today for a few things you all suggested. You guys have really lifted my spirit. I do love my natural hair more than the permed hair. Low maintenance is what I am looking for.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Bublnbrnsuga said:
Just when I was gonna delete my pics from my fotki album.....
Wow, I didn't think folks admired my hair to the point of keeping them encouraged to stay natural. You ladies have given me a reason to keep my album open and to UPDATE this month!

To latia- you are not alone with those feelings of getting a texturizer or relaxer. The things that keep me from doing something drastic like this are:
1. How will I look getting a relaxer/texturizer when I have been encouraging others to go natural or stay natural?
2. Do you know how much stylists charge? GEEZ.
3. I have been natural for almost three years and my hair is so long- it is past brastrap.
4. I can get up and go after I sleep- literally. Well, I do have to put a little water in it,but that's it. Very low maintainance.
5. Oh yeah, my hair is almost Joan's length in it's natural, shrunken state- is it really that crucial to have it permanently straightened,just so I can 'see' the length?

These are just a few pick me ups whenever I am discouraged. I don't know why we tend to think that a texturizer/relaxer is a 'cure all' for any hair ailment we are going through.

I REALLY recommend the the Curly Custard from kinky-curly.com. It will provide you with the texturizer look INSTANTLY. Good stuff:up:

Bublin, no!!!Please don't delete the fotktis! :eek: :crying3: Put down the mouse, don't clink delete.....Put down the mouse, don't click delete..... :lol:

firecracker

Hey ladies I went to the bbc yesterday. I was there for like an hour!:grin: Never knew you could have so much fun in a beauty supply. :confused: I always run in and run out. I picked up some castor oil, kcutter,afro pick w/the fist "go fxybrwn go fxybrwn":lachen: ,du sharme hair creme, pure glycerin, short looks styling spray & gel,shea butter,aloe vera cholestoral conditioner and natures therapy shampoo & conditioner. I am going to wash and try out the short looks spray. It is really light so hopefully I will like it since I hate products in the afro. Did not purchase the human hair for the braids yet checking for cheaper pricing. :eek: :confused: