Naturals...BUTTERS & OILS...a database/survey

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Well, I just bought some oils and butters but now I want to know how butters and oils work on different hair types. I want to take a sort of mini survey just for my personal use so I can know which butters and oils work best and for whom.

You can help me by describing your hair. Then state the butter and/oil and say whether your hair liked it or not. Also say how you use the butter/oil.

If everyone responds, this thread can be an awesome database for helping to decide which butters/oils to purchase.

------------------------
Example:

My Hair: I have 4B hair that is very dry, thick, dense and coarse.

Shea Butter: Used as a moisturizer sometimes mixed with coconut oil. It left my hair soft and moisturized.

Coconut Oil: Used as a sealant. It was very light and I liked that it helped to add sheen to my hair

ETC ETC ETC
**Please list all butters and oils you've tried**

--------------------------

Your response is greatly appreciated and will help lots of people! :grin:

Mz.MoMo5235

i'm a 3b med-fine i guess lol

i whipped shea butter and evco together and my hair only likes it when its super super dry. since i've been taking better care of my hair though my hair doesnt like it... so now i use this mix on my face 2x a day (i have a super oily t zone and dry cheeks and this balances everything out)

sorry, not much of help

oh! but i do use evoo on my hair almost daily (or as needed) to seal in moisture!

MsBoinglicious

I am a 3-something hair type with medium fine and medium coarse hair strands.

I use Raw Shea butter mixed with olive, coconut or sometimes hot six oil. I even melt shea butter down into my deep conditioner and it works wonders on my hair. It leaves my hair very happy and moisturized.

Hair2Here

I'm a 4a/b natural with thin hair. I stopped using oils to seal since I bag my hair each night after moisturizing. I do use Elasta QP Mango Butter but only when I mix it in with a dc. I currently spray my hair each night and bag it for extra moisture. Works good for me.

MizzBrit

im a 4b/a with thick dense coarse hair

coconut oil leaves my hair shinhy
shea butter leaves my hair soft

biancaelyse

3B/3C

Fine to medium hair

I love shea butter - heavy, castor oil - heavy, cocnut oil - medium, grapeseed oil - light and rice bran oil - light.

jcanalena79

3b/3c

medium/coarse

shea butter w/coconut, almond, avocado, olive oils ... my hair, esp. my super-dry crown roots love it. i think it's really the shea butter and i can change up the oils.

ms.blue

4a/b dense w/ medium coarse & silky at the nape

with the coase hair my hair prefers pure shea butter but @ the nape it's too thick so I use jojoba oil. It's kind of annoying to have different textures & current buying different hair butter that all of my hair like. I'm not sure if that helped or not.

Prudent1

3b/ 3c ish??
medium/ course texlaxed hair
I use shea butter (haven't really tried many other butters).
Oils I use- grapeseed, jojoba, argan, coconut, EVO, almond, and tea tree oils.

I melt shea butter and blend it into a color applicator with the above oils. The oil I use more than any other is EVO. Coconut oil is second. I sometimes pre-poo with my oil blend but mostly I use it to seal after conditioning. My scalp get dry easily and I can't stand the tightness that causes so I use the oil blend on my scalp in the winter months to keep my scalp moisturized. On occasion I use castor oil as a hot oil treatment with steam or heat.
Funny thing... if I attempt to use any of these products separately, the results are no where close to the same as when they are blended.:ohwell: I learned this from experimenting.

KittyMeowMeow

3a, 3b (medium-fine), 3c (medium-coarse)

Love:
* EVCO- oil scalp & hair for prepoo, sealing, mixing into DC. Absorbs well, makes my hair shiny & soft.
* JBCO- tiny drop mixed w/ EVCO for sealing. Makes my hair soft & smooth.

Meh:
* shea butter - too heavy for me.
* EVOO- too heavy, makes my hair greasy

Lola Laughs

*When in desperate need of moisture (winter)
Unrefined shea butter whipped with equal parts coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil

*Not as much moisture needed (spring/summer/fall)
Equal parts unrefined shea butter and aloe vera gel whipped with coconut oil

*Mango butter, unrefined: too greasy, grainy
*Cocoa butter unrefined: worked well but couldn't get past the strong smell
*Coconut oil (refined--I'm just not convinced that unrefined is worth the $) for light sealing, JBCO for ends
*Amla/maka oil: pre-wash/hot oil treatment
*Wheat germ oil: just tried adding this to the above
*Neem oil: itchy scalp
*Rosemary oil: added as preservative to moisturizers
*Argan oil: Not worth the hype or $$$
*Hot 6 Oil: What I would buy if I didn't mix my own products--best bang for your buck off the shelf

My hair: 4a ish, medium strands

darlingdiva

I'm a 4a/4b natural with fine strands.

Oils
Avocado: I apply it after using Aphogee 2-min. It works great. I also used it after I applied AO GPB & it worked great that way too. It's not to heavy and my hair has extra umph when I use it.

Castor: It helps me detangle, but I must use it sparingly because it is heavy. It softens my hair when I use it properly.

EVOO: too heavy and greasy.

Grapeseed: nice & light. I use it to seal after I've braided my hair.

Coconut: It gives amazing shine (and it's great for my skin). I cannot use it alone, though, because it makes my hair hard. I use it on my ends.

virtuenow

Example:

My Hair: I have 4B hair that is very dry, thick, dense and coarse.

Shea Butter: Used as a moisturizer sometimes mixed with coconut oil. It left my hair soft and moisturized.

Shea Butter: Ditto the above

Coconut Oil: helps to add shine---> too thin for me to use alone on my thick 4b hair. Mixes very nicely w/shea butter or mango butter for my staple hair butter!

Jojoba oil: great for days I want to go a little more light, but also strong enuff to break thru the thick, hard hair to soften and moisturize it

Mango butter (unrefined): very thick and grainy, I'm looking for the perfect mix b/c you have to mix it w/a lighter oil (like coconut or jojoba) to make it spreadable.

EVOlive Oil: way too light for my thick hair; I couldn't do anything w/it!

Last edited:

Aviah

3c/4a fine

Jojoba oil- for straightened hair/DCing
Avocado oil- for straightened hair, general softness
Coconut oil- for shine/softness/DCing/Sealing/ on ends
Olive oil- DCing/sealing/ softness and heavy duty moisture/protection
Shea Butter- making edges lay down/sealing/extra moisture/ sometimes DCing

I tend to use coconut oil the most of these Olive oil tends to be too heavy for everyday use.

purplepeace79

3c/4a hair, fine strands, low-medium density

Butters:
Melted down shea butter mixed with grapeseed oil is a great moisturizer.
I also use Burdock Root Creme moisturizer

Oils:
Grapeseed, jojoba, and castor oil are my faves

Fhrizzball

Okay I'll bite

Hair:3c/4a/4b (I think)

Don't know the density or thickness but I know it's not fine or thin (I think). Really insensitive to protein and it dries out easily.

Oils that I tried recently:

Macadamia Nut Oil: Nice and light. Smells wonderful great for a DC or just sealing. Makes a great carrier oil and helps thin out thicker oils.

EVCO: Lovely scent and texture. Nourishes and isn't too thick

Castor Oil: Smooths my ends

JBCO: Great for helping my edges lay when used with a scarf.

EVOO: Impartial. I don't care for the smell though and my hair is really neutral towards it

Butter:

Aloe butter: Melts like butter and moisturizes so lovely. Made my hair really soft

Cocoa Butter:Scent was too strong and it is way too hard

Mango Butter: Too grainy for me

Shea Butter: Too heavy at times and made my hair greasy

lwilliams1922

3c/4a hair, fine strands, low-medium density

Butters:
Melted down shea butter mixed with grapeseed oil is a great moisturizer.
I also use Burdock Root Creme moisturizer

Oils:
Grapeseed, jojoba, and castor oil are my faves

can you tell me the ratio of shea to grapeseed oil?

Ms.Christ3n

Are there any more reviews on Macadamia, Grapeseed, Sweet Almond oils?

Just found out my hair feels amazing after using oils!:yep: I want more!

Last edited:

Vashti

My hair is type 4a.

Coconut oil leaves my hair with high sheen. My hair really likes it when mixed with a water based moisturizer.

Olive oil detangles it and seems to strengthen and condition it when mixed with a moisturizer. It seems a little heavier than the coconut oil though.

Haven't used any other butters or oils.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
4b thick, coarse hair

Avocado Butter -- Smooth, silky easy to smooth consistency. No scent. Absorbs well. Non greasy. Works okay for my hair.

Sweet Almond Butter -- same as avocado butter

Babasu Oil -- very similar to coconut oil. Light oil with great sheen.

LoveLiLi

I've tried too many butters and oils to remember them all and exactly how I felt about each one, so I'll just name my faves. :)

I have natural 3c/4a hair (mostly 4a). My hair is thick and the strands are coarse.

Hemp seed butter: Leaves my hair very soft and shiny. It absorbs into the hair well and doesn't leave any whitish film or strange residue (like shea butter and avocado butter). I can also mix it with other styling products with no problem. I can't say the same for many other butters.

Red Palm butter: I love this stuff. I can wash on a Saturday, apply red palm butter and my hair will stay soft, shiny and tangle free for the whole week. This butter is amazing. I can comb through dry hair, root to tip, without hitting any snarls/knots.

The downside with this butter is that it transfers easily. It would stain pillows and clothes and that's the only reason I stopped using it. I haven't found any other product that moisturizes and eliminates the need for co-washing or moisturizing and sealing for an entire week.

Olive butter: I love the softness and shine this product imparts. However, it gets all weird on me if I try to use another product with it, so I won't order it again.

Coconut oil: I use this after flat ironing if I need a bit more shine. Sometimes I use it on natural hair to help detangle before I wash my hair.

Olive oil: I use this on natural hair. I love using it for braid outs and I'll also apply it after I wash my hair when wearing a curly ponytail or bun. I prefer this to coconut oil, but it's too heavy to use on flat ironed hair.

Amla oil: I sometimes use this overnight and it's great for getting rid of tangles, adding shine and it reduces the bulkiness of my hair. I'll sometimes use a little after I wash my hair since I found one on FNWL that doesn't have an offensive smell. Avoid amla oil when wearing styles that need a-lot of curl definition.

I also like jojoba oil, vatika oil, camellia oil and Moroccan oil.

Last edited:

Sherbetcane

my hair is 3c/4a

My hair loves only Almond oil....i mix it with my leave in conditioner...(Elucence,Yes To Cucumber leave in or Qhemets Cocoa Tree) The other oils didn't give me the needed moisture. i seal with Qhemets Hydrating Balm mixed with Qhemets Heavy Cream