Naturals and hair knotting

TigerOrange

I read Mr. John's Holistic Guide to Black Hair Growth. I think that is the name of it. Anyways, he has a section in there about hair knotting back on the individual hair strand. He says that this happens with people who have what is considered to be tightly curled hair or 4a/4b for people that use the hair typing system. When the hair is wet and allowed to stay in its natural state the hair will start to curl and knot. The only way to cure this (These are not my thoughts but his) is to keep the hair midly straightened. I had this problem alot and have never been able to wear my hair all the way out in its full glory. I am too weak to give up the pressing comb for fear that this phenom will happen again. He also said that women should set their hair loosely on sponge rollers to keep their press longer but to never curl it tight wear you see an indention in the roller. Overall, it is a good read. He hates relaxed hair and doesn't think it will grow, but people on this sight prove that wrong everyday. Just look at Adrienne's hair. It is absolutely stunning. Well, just some thoughts on the knotting issue.

Is this the same Mr. John from Hair Fanatic: Does anyone have Mr. John's Book?

I haven't read the book, but judging from the summaries I HAVE read, I just don't buy some of what he's says. Natural tightly coiled hair may be more prone to knotting but is keeping it straightened all the time really the best solution?
frown.gif
That just seems more damaging in the long run to me.
look.gif

I'm not completely natural yet, so I can't really give you any advice on preventing tangles and knots but I'm sure some one has something else to add.
smile.gif

I don't believe that either. I remember getting knots with my relaxed hair. In my opinion, I think you can prevent knots by detangling and moisture. How often is up to you. I am transitioing and my hair is underprocessed but if I don't detangle is when I get knots.

I get knots frequently...but the solution is PATIENCE!

I just gently pull apart the individual hairs if there are more than one in a knot...and usually they come out. If one of the strands has a knot on it...and I cannot unravel it...I simply cut it off the individual strand.

But the knot problem is not so great that textruizing is a solution...If anything...just use a good conditioner in the shower and a large toothed comb and your fingers and you should be able to work through most knots.

I think keeping my hair in a semi-stretched state has helped me with the knots. When I was trying to no-poo & wear my hair out in a shrunken afro or puff, I had a ton of knots. With braid-outs & regular trims, single-strand knots are not at all a problem. I still get some here & there, but it's not throughout my whole head & way up the shaft. Also, when I was wearing my hair stretched by using sponge rollers, that also helped with the knots. This might not be true for all naturals, but my hair will definately knot itself if left alone.

My knotting has DEFINITELY decreased with wearing my hair in a stretched out statE. I wear twists most of the time(mainly because I think it is the most beautiful natural style in the world, so I am biased) and I wear twistouts the rest of the time. I still get them(knots), but nowhere near as much as when I was wearing shake n goes, freshly rinsed puffs that airdry and shrink thru the day, etc. Wearing "out" styles also contributed to my "hand n fro" disease, which led to more knots because I am constantly feeling, twirling, "stretching and let spring back" my coils. I understand Mr Johns POV about wearing the hair straightened, but it is most definitely NOT the only way that natural 4a/4b hair can grow long.

Back