Naturals (any type) HOW do you know that your hair

Boadicea

needs a trim? Do you use heat to straighten it every couple of months to assess the state of the ends? Or do you just stretch out a few curls and make a general assessment of the hair's health? Or do you just trim every couple of months on schedule whether the hair needs it or not?

Hi Boadicea! I just check the ends once in a while and make an assessment. If I see knots or split ends, I just trim above the knot or split end. This has been my method for a while now, and it seems to be working. I don't use any type of heat.

[ QUOTE ]
Maestradiva77 said:
Hi Boadicea! I just check the ends once in a while and make an assessment. If I see knots or split ends, I just trim above the knot or split end. This has been my method for a while now, and it seems to be working. I don't use any type of heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ME!
smile.gif

I use heat to straighten and assess ends, although I don't do it quite often enough I'm sure. But since I'm in protected styles 100% I think I'm going to wait until after the summer.

I just trim every couple of months. I thought I could get away with trimming less often, but was sadly mistaken.

Re: Naturals (any type) HOW do you know that your

I try to trim at least every 3 months. It is mainly out of habit but it seems to be working.
smile.gif

I leave my ends alone and my hair thanks me for it. I keep my ends healthy by not pressing or blow drying my naps I also only comb my hair when its wet with something like water and conditioner.

Usually after a fresh trim the ends dont tangle as easily, so usually when they start to get knotty and uneven looking i know its time to trim again. last trim was January so im just about due for another one.

Thanks, ladies. I was wondering which method I should use when I go natural.

Your welcome. I almost forgot, you can also do twists and just clip off the ends of the twists to trim as well. Enjoy your journey!

I know my hair needs a trim when it starts to knot and tangle excessively. That usually ends up being every three months. I usually comb out little sections of hair and trim.

I trim every 3-4 months (that's usually the same time I get it flatironed by my stylist). My hair needs to be straight when I trim it so I make sure that I'm only cutting off the necessary length
smile.gif

Since my hair has been changing (scab hair), I can still "feel" when I need a trim. Later, I'm sure I'll do like the ladies that trim with no heat. I tried that once and hated it.

good question, BoaD...... /images/graemlins/up.gif /images/graemlins/up.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I know my hair needs a trim when it starts to knot and tangle excessively. That usually ends up being every three months. I usually comb out little sections of hair and trim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, except I trim in twists. I lcomb through while wet. Twist and snip off any scraggly ends

I've only trimmed my daughter's hair twice in her 5 years. Both times I knew it was time because her ends were knotting. The first time, I flatironed it and trimmed it. The second time, I just went through section by section after I washed it one day and trimmed as I was styling. I liked the second method better. Since she has only had her hair in a straight style twice in her life (including the flatiron trim), I didn't see the need for her hair to be evened up.

I trim every 8-10 weeks whether I see split ends or not.

I can tell when my ends aren't behaving, and it's harder for me to slide my fingers through my hair. My ends mat and tangle when they're bad. In worse cases, they look "stringy" when they've been stretched too thin. Also, I can feel knots at the ends--if they're a lot, I'll trim rather than just dust.

Because I have quite a bit of length now, I gently blow dry my hair in sections with a comb attachment (I'll airdry my hair for atleast an hour first). I used to trim my hair in small sections, but now I trim in 4 main sections, hopefully as my hair grows this will reduce to only 2 sections (helps the hair look more even).

I can't tell if I need it unless it's pressed...I usually don't trim til I think it needs it and I would say at this point, I've been trimming about every 7-8 months.

Back