Naturally Flexible Support Thread

daydreem2876

carpe diem
I blew out my hair today. Idk what to do withh it since it still is short and has alot of layers. I will be keeping it straightened for a while. I dont feel like dealing or seeing my natural texture for quite some time. I am also contemplating a bkt again.

Get some soft rollers and roll it up... you would be amazed the multitude of sins a good roller set will cover up and at least you will have some level of curl to work with for a few days.

hnntrr

A. any pictures from your journey you want to share -
I will post a before and after pic :)

B. your regimen
1. current regimen and products:
  • Wash hair twice a week with Blousy Shampoo from LUSH, DC once a week with One N Only Hydrating Masque, seal with a mix of avacado, coconut and castor oil. Protein treatment once every few weeks. Leave in with Giovanni Leave in Spray and daily mist with a mix of water glycern and conditioner.
2. regimen during transition, especially at different stages:
  • When I was relaxed I co washed one a week and DC'd with protein *ick. Flat ironed once a week. Once I started transitioning I started the CG method (still am doing that) and co-washed 3-4 times a week and DC'd once a week. I wigged 12/7 up until about a a week and a half ago. So I plan on getting a short wig soon for the winter and wearing my hair out and protecting it in braids/wigs alternating)

C. how long you relaxed and what products you used
  • I was relaxed between the ages of…5 and 22. I used to much crap I can't even remember all of it. I used Motions Relaxer though. I would relax every 8 weeks.

D. any setbacks and how you overcame them as a natural or relaxed head. (you never know who you can help with this information)
  • I had a lot of breakage relaxed, I did tea rinses and that helped a lot and I managed to retain a lot of length regardless. I had a bad protein treatment while transitioning and solved that by DC'ing every other day. I have not really hit another setback since I BC'd and I hope to not again (knock on wood)

E. Your goals as a natural, especially length goals
  • I want to be MBL, so SL unstretched…I would LOVE to be WL stretched but I am going to keep my goal reasonable.

F. Any hair inspiration pictures or stories about who/what inspired you (in a POSITIVE way) to go natural or consider it
  • Seeing my sisters natural MBL hair inspired me, it was so pretty and curly and I wanted mine to be like that. She went from TWA to MBL in two years with her wigging regimen. Even though I wont be wigging to the intensity that she is/was I hope to be in the same place by then, APL or nearing MBL.

eta: for some reason it wont let me upload photos so I will do it later.

Last edited:

Rae81

Put my hair back in twist. I really want them to last at least two weeks but my scalp starts to acts up after a week

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Cleansed with CJ cleansing conditioner
Detangled with SD Vanilla Silk
Used coconut oil & Cantu as a leave in
High top knot to airdry/style

My hair in it's natural state is so thirsty! I have to condition it more and I can't go days without moisturizing it like I can do with my roller set hair. Since the sets smooth my strands, it allows my natural oil to travel down & moisturize my hair on it's own. Also, my curly hair can't go past 4 days without it being co-washed/conditioned, but my roller set hair can last 9 to 10 days. Back to roller setting on my next wash! lol Smooth hair is much less manipulation for me which equates to more strands being left on my head.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Cleansed with CJ cleansing conditioner
Detangled with SD Vanilla Silk
Used coconut oil & Cantu as a leave in
High top knot to airdry/style

My hair in it's natural state is so thirsty! I have to condition it more and I can't go days without moisturizing it like I can do with my roller set hair. Since the sets smooth my strands, it allows my natural oil to travel down & moisturize my hair on it's own. Also, my curly hair can't go past 4 days without it being co-washed/conditioned, but my roller set hair can last 9 to 10 days. Back to roller setting on my next wash! lol Smooth hair is much less manipulation for me which equates to more strands being left on my head.

your hair looks so cute!

:grin:

Lita

Sunday,washed with Elucence moisture poo,pomade shop cafe coffee con 1hr for the front of my hair,NG Slippery elm dc 1hr in the back,BR Coco cream spray leave-in,HH soft coconut & BR blueberry moisturizing hair cream...Dax gold on edges.

*Hair is air drying in 6 braids..pined-up

Happy Hair Growing!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My hair stylist is going on maternity leave next month, so I thought this would also be a good time to let my hair get some rest. I 'm either going to get a sew in bob weave installed before she goes or get some braids. I'm leaning more towards braids, cause I have better access to my scalp and won't have to wash as often. I'll be heading on a 2 week vacation soon after so it would be perfect timing.

LdyKamz

:wave: I'll be joining you guys. I really like this thread.

I am about 8 months post relaxer and 3 months post bc and notice that even though my transitioning regimen catered mostly to my natural hair, now that I am fully natural my regimen is almost completely different and it responds much better. I was using a lot more protein then and balancing conditioners.

I finally have my staples down and just posted them in the TWA support thread. Here they are:

Moisture DC - Aussie Moist 3 minute Miracle, Komaza's Olive Moisture Mask

Rinse out CO - Aussie Moist, Komaza Moja Conditioner, AOGPB (for a light protein during the week)

Protein - Komaza Protein Strengthener

Leave In - Giovanni Direct Leave in
Moisturizer - Komaza Califia Moisturizing Spray

Styler - Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream, Eco Styler (the pink one)

I'm working on experimenting with some light butters to seal my hair. There are lots I want to try.

I dc 2x a week alternating my dc conditioners and my hair likes this a lot. And just moisturize as needed. I use oils to pre poo but I've realized that my hair may not like them all that much. Or mabe I'm using too much. That's why I want to try butters.

Use Komaza protein strengther once a month to add a little bit of strength and that's it. I think that's pretty simple.

havilland

Before and after shots of my edges.

I used castor Oil hair grease to flat iron and edge control pomade with a scarf after.

Attachments

• image-2398645064.jpg
    image-2398645064.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1291855358.jpg
    image-1291855358.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 68

mz.rae

Ending up flat ironing last weekend since it is cooler now. I think now I am going to start flat ironing every other week and protective styling afterwards to see how that works. I will wear my flat ironed hair out the weekend and then put up in a bun for the rest of the week. Will see how this works and if I notice any length retention.

Rae81

I find myself moisturizing my roots thinking I have to keep my new growth.moist. but then I realize my whole head is new growth lol

Lita

Ending up flat ironing last weekend since it is cooler now. I think now I am going to start flat ironing every other week and protective styling afterwards to see how that works. I will wear my flat ironed hair out the weekend and then put up in a bun for the rest of the week. Will see how this works and if I notice any length retention.

mz.rae Wow! Looks like we have a similar routine..I plan to flat ion or blow dry,Twice a month..Buns/Bantu knots..On occasion use my curl wand,to maintain pin curls..

Happy Hair Growing!

mz.rae

ForumRunner_20130919_063022.jpg

The picture on the left is from when I flat ironed my hair this past weekend. The picture on the left is a wash and go I did two weeks ago using the clump method. Prefer the clump method way more than shingling.

LdyKamz

View attachment 225783

The picture on the left is from when I flat ironed my hair this past weekend. The picture on the left is a wash and go I did two weeks ago using the clump method. Prefer the clump method way more than shingling.

mz.rae can you explain the clump method to me. Is it faster than shingling? I want to try something different for my wng this weekend.

mz.rae

@mz.rae can you explain the clump method to me. Is it faster than shingling? I want to try something different for my wng this weekend.

Hey! And yes. I just part my hair in sections, apply the conditioner and gel. Instead of running your fingers through the hair you just applying it to your hair and smooth it with with your hands until the curl forms. I find this way is quicker and the curls hang and don't shrink up as much as shingling. I will find a video to post that shows the method.

ETA: Here is the video that I watched for the clumping method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF0M4v3psQk

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Hey Ladies, I know this thread is hair related but....hubby and I are expecting a little munchkin in about 7 months. :)

Between the first trimester nausea and the constant pee runs to the restroom, I haven't had the time nor energy to be bothered with my hair. I did have a doctors appt. today so I finally took down the bantu knots from my previous rollerset hair. As soon as I'm done at the doctor, gonna put it back in bantu knots...make a turban scarf and leave it alone for a few more days. Hope you ladies have a great weekend.

Last edited:

ronie

Hey Ladies, I know this thread is hair related but....hubby and I are expecting a little munchkin in about 7 months. :)

Between the first trimester nausea and the constant pee runs to the restroom, I haven't had the time nor energy to be bothered with my hair. I did have a doctors appt. today so I finally took down the bantu knots from my previous rollerset hair. As soon as I'm done at the doctor, gonna put it back in bantu knots...make a turban scarf and leave it alone for a few more days. Hope you ladies have a great weekend.

Congratulations on the little one. Wish you an awesome pregnancy, and fast and painfree (as painfree as possible:lachen:) delivery.

havilland

Ponytail today.

No humidity. My hair is silky as heck. It feels like someone else's hair!

Attachments

• image-258177276.jpg
    image-258177276.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 58

Godyssey

Thanks for starting this thread, Havilland, your hair is beautiful, btw.
I stopped my transition and BC'd a few months ago.

I'll be 2 years natural mid October and my hair is a few inches past my collar bone.

I'm still doing the phony pony, half wig deal, nothing exciting. I've tried straightening my own hair but a. Because of the summer humidity and b. because of my regular fitness schedule, my hair stays in a state of reversion. Opting not to unnecessarily damage my hair, I haven't straightened in awhile. I will most likely keep it up until 3 years natural and it's long enough to do braid outs and ponies with some length to them.

Anyway, yay for natural hair! It is head over heels more healthy feeling and looking (it's so thick!) than my relaxed hair. I love playing in it on wash days!

My wash routine. I only wash twice a month, to freshen it between washes, I either just rinse it while in the pony or I use this alcohol based hair perfume that I bought many years ago. Crazy, I can't recall off hand who makes it but it works. It's a large bottle and only takes a few squirts.

When I wash, I use Aveda dry remedy moisture shampoo and Aubrey Organics Jojoba & Aloe Revitalizing Conditioner, same products I used when relaxed but weren't so great while transitioning.

Before I BC'd, I'd come to the conclusion that I couldn't do a braidout but after doing a henna treatment it is now possible. Unfortunately right now, I just don't have the length that I'm accustomed to.

Last edited:

JJamiah

Okay so, I am in braids and plan to keep them in for 2 months then come out of them for 2 months, and on and on again. I figure 2 months is enough to give me a break and then enough to play in it and baby it back to full blown moisture love. I plan to continue this for a full year and then reevaluate again.

So by December 2014, I will be seeing what is it my hair needs and give it that.

Things I hope to learn successfully: twist outs, braid outs, cute styles with my hair that don't make me look retarded.. :perplexed: :look:

davisbr88

JJamiah: Omg! I was thinking of doing the same thing!!!
We must be buddies. Seriously this time!
I'm in Senegalese twists until October 19. I was planning to do 6 weeks, but I can stretch it another two if we're really gona do it :)

shortt29

Hey Ladies, I know this thread is hair related but....hubby and I are expecting a little munchkin in about 7 months. :) Between the first trimester nausea and the constant pee runs to the restroom, I haven't had the time nor energy to be bothered with my hair. I did have a doctors appt. today so I finally took down the bantu knots from my previous rollerset hair. As soon as I'm done at the doctor, gonna put it back in bantu knots...make a turban scarf and leave it alone for a few more days. Hope you ladies have a great weekend.

Congrats!!!!

Rae81

So I tried a braid out and it was a fail. My hair didn't dry completely so some parts were frizzy and puffy ,so I put out in a ponytail. My hair takes a long time to dry and I even sat under the dryer for a little while last night hoping it would be fully dry this morning for church.

havilland

So I tried a braid out and it was a fail. My hair didn't dry completely so some parts were frizzy and puffy ,so I put out in a ponytail. My hair takes a long time to dry and I even sat under the dryer for a little while last night hoping it would be fully dry this morning for church.

I'm sorry, Girl. Sometimes I think natural hair should have a section in the card store.

"Thinking of you on your bad hair day"

"Happy 'humidity sucks' day"

"Deepest sympathy for the loss of your chunk of hair at the hand of that detangling incident"

"Sorry your favorite product was discontinued/changed formula"

"You're my soulmate. Love Always, your favorite Wide tooth comb"

Ahhhhh natural hair is indeed a journey full of ups and downs and spins around. ;)