Naturally Flexible Support Thread

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Soooooo anyways....after a week of not touching my hair I had a matted knarled mess. I'm glad I was patient enough to get the tangles out without damage. Every once in awhile
I forget my hair doesn't play like that and if I neglect her she will put the foot down on me.

caliscurls

So....after my rant about having breakage due to new styles/over manipulation and vowing to stick to my blow dry routine...I did a braid out with a hooded dryer (dried to 90%) :D and it turned out great! With no breakage (yay!)

While I do think over manipulation was part of the problem, I think which products I used contributed. This week I left in some of my conditioner, did not oil rinse, used KKNT lightly, and sealed the braids with NG Pumpkin Butter. Before take down (2 days after wash day) I oiled my ends with EVCO then used Bekura Palm Tapioca lightly after take down followed by the pumpkin butter lightly. My hair seems happy. It looks great, feels great.... I think the left in conditioner, KKNT and Pumpkin Butter were key.

I am still learning :)

havilland

So....after my rant about having breakage due to new styles/over manipulation and vowing to stick to my blow dry routine...I did a braid out with a hooded dryer (dried to 90%) :D and it turned out great! With no breakage (yay!)

While I do think over manipulation was part of the problem, I think which products I used contributed. This week I left in some of my conditioner, did not oil rinse, used KKNT lightly, and sealed the braids with NG Pumpkin Butter. Before take down (2 days after wash day) I oiled my ends with EVCO then used Bekura Palm Tapioca lightly after take down followed by the pumpkin butter lightly. My hair seems happy. It looks great, feels great.... I think the left in conditioner, KKNT and Pumpkin Butter were key.

I am still learning :)

It's a process. It takes time to get products and process and know your hair. Then as your hair grows it all changes! :pLol. Glad u found something that works.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I washed my hair and did a moisturizing dc with Kerastase Chroma Riche. For some reason I had more shed hair than usual. Next wash day I will add Alter Ego to my scalp during my dc.

havilland

Just realized how much shiner and defined my hair looks this week. I can't remember it ever looking like this. **crossing my fingers this isn't a fluke and I can actually repeat the results** :rolleyes:

Make sure you are keeping a journal so you know what to repeat and make notes not only on what you used but also what worked and how it worked. Results matter.

Evolving78

I flat ironed my hair bone straight. I don't know what to do about this new growth! I have to use a creamy leave in, that will help with smoothing and stretching my new growth. Once I blow dried it, it was still kinky and I had to still detangle to flat iron. I used a ton of heat protectant. Spray and serum. Both were light products though. The Thermasmooth isn't moisturizing enough. And I gotta stop washing my hair in the sink! I may need to get some kera care or use mizani moisturefusion.

havilland

Do transitioning creams work?

what type of transitioning creams?

for me....the only thing that worked was deep conditioning like 2-3 times a week and wearing a bun. i wore a bun for two years....it was awful! but worth it!

my natural hair would not stay straight until i was natural and even then it was a struggle until i found the right products and regimen

Evolving78

what type of transitioning creams?

for me....the only thing that worked was deep conditioning like 2-3 times a week and wearing a bun. i wore a bun for two years....it was awful! but worth it!

my natural hair would not stay straight until i was natural and even then it was a struggle until i found the right products and regimen
Shea moisture and there is another one called lemongrass transitioning creme out there.

mz.rae

I ended up flat ironing my hair, I guess I will say that is my heat pass for the month. Definitely going to try to cut back on heat this coming summer and do wash and go's. If I don't see any retention when I straighten again in the fall I'm probably going to relax.

caliscurls

I ended up flat ironing my hair, I guess I will say that is my heat pass for the month. Definitely going to try to cut back on heat this coming summer and do wash and go's. If I don't see any retention when I straighten again in the fall I'm probably going to relax.
@mz.rae if you're up to it you may want to try a keratin treatment before jumping in with relaxing. I've used the QOD Max Organiq in the past with success as have others on the board. I've also heard good things about some other treatments (sorry can't think of them off hand). There's a couple of threads out there if you want to check them out.

Edit: Here's one that's had activity as recently as March
https://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/keratin-treatment-support-thread.357933/

Last edited:

Evolving78

I am going to attempt to do a Bantu knot set... If I could pin it to cover my spot and it turns out nice, this will be my go to style for wearing my hair out... I got some new conditioners I would like to try as well.

havilland

Shea moisture and there is another one called lemongrass transitioning creme out there.
I never used any of these or anything similar. I found what worked best for me was oiling my hair before detangling and deep conditioning ALOT.

Maybe others can chime in. Also check the transitioning without big chop thread. Ladies there may have some input that is valuable.

havilland

@mz.rae if you're up to it you may want to try a keratin treatment before jumping in with relaxing. I've used the QOD Max Organiq in the past with success as have others on the board. I've also heard good things about some other treatments (sorry can't think of them off hand). There's a couple of threads out there if you want to check them out.

https://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/keratin-treatment-support-thread.357933/

I agree. I would try a BKT at home before I relaxed again. As a step one....if that doesn't work then perhaps texlax.

havilland

I am going to attempt to do a Bantu knot set... If I could pin it to cover my spot and it turns out nice, this will be my go to style for wearing my hair out... I got some new conditioners I would like to try as well.
What conditioners did u buy? Share share share!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I cowashed my hair in the shower just now. I used Alter Ego on my scalp and Kerastase Oleo Relax on the length. I'm airdrying to get most of the moisture out and then I will detangle and rebraid. Hopefully I have little to no shedding today.

mz.rae

Thank you I am going to look into this!

havilland

@havilland What is the name of the system you use when flat ironing your hair? I have searched but can't find it anywhere.
TMS Beautiful Textures.

I used the leave in conditioner one time. Then I followed with the Anti Reversion shampoo and conditioner for about 2 weeks. I found that I didn't need the leave in treatment anymore, ever..... The shampoo and conditioner are enough to get my hair prepped to flat iron. I get relaxer straight results and full reversion. I have used it for months now with no problems.

I always clarify after I use it though. I don't like leaving all that silicone on my hair and scalp.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I got a new half wig today. It's synthetic 4/30 and it has loose waves. I love it. I will post pics when I wear it Monday.

Today I am wearing my human hair half wig. I cowashed and airdried her last night. She looks like new

havilland

I still can't post pics from my phone?!!! Argh....I am not going back to downloading pics into a site and then dropping them from there.

Any suggestions? Because without phone photo access, I am useless here.

Joigirl

I still can't post pics from my phone?!!! Argh....I am not going back to downloading pics into a site and then dropping them from there.

Took me a while too. My album kept coming up. I set up a new album and then it seemed to allow to to embed photos.

Guinan

Re-Branding
TMS Beautiful Textures.

I used the leave in conditioner one time. Then I followed with the Anti Reversion shampoo and conditioner for about 2 weeks. I found that I didn't need the leave in treatment anymore, ever..... The shampoo and conditioner are enough to get my hair prepped to flat iron. I get relaxer straight results and full reversion. I have used it for months now with no problems.

I always clarify after I use it though. I don't like leaving all that silicone on my hair and scalp.

If you know: How does the Beautiful Textures hold up with working out or with sweat?

Evolving78

I used BT TMS and my hair held up pretty well. It reverted a little, just like with relaxed hair when I work out, but nothing a scarf couldn't fix.

The Bantu knot out was a win and a fail. A fail because I never finished the front and sides. The back was lovely and curly! Lol I will try again another day. Giving myself a pre oil treatment now. Will take the plastic cap off, if I don't get a chance to wash today.

Dayjoy

Old School Member

WAIT! We can post pictures without having to use a Photobucket type deal?!?!? Why didn't I know this???? How??!