Naturally Flexible Support Thread

bronzephoenix

I thought this would be a good place to share a before and after of my natural client who opted to have her hair straightened recently! image-1132075126.jpg
image-4184672317.jpg

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I would say it's ok so far. If you have dry hair or are protein sensitive then it may not be for you. My hair is a little dry. Nothing monumental. But I have healthy, well moisturized hair and I also deep conditioned prior to using the products. I would also say that you should strand test it first or not leave it for twenty minutes the first time you use it. Try 5-10 minutes and then increase the timing on subsequent uses if your hair reacts well. I don't like taking chances with my hair. ;) I suggest using a heat protectant though the instructions say not to. I don't think it's wise to not use any. I have no doubts my hair will revert. My curls seem fine so far. I will report back when I wash my hair to let you know if it's all good.

I don't have issues with keeping my hair straight once it's pressed so I wouldn't use this system. That mug has stayed bone straight for almost a month one time. lol I'm glad it's working out for you so far though!!!!! :)

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I feel like I have the worst shrinkage ever. At one point I thought about contacting the Guinness Book of world records, because I have the tiniest curls (kinks) in the world. Some of my coils are the size of this period. :(

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I feel like I have the worst shrinkage ever. At one point I thought about contacting the Guinness Book of world records, because I have the tiniest curls (kinks) in the world. Some of my coils are the size of this period. :(

Awwwww you ain't alone. Whats real freaky is at the scalp my strands are kinda like yaki straight the first inch or 2. Towards the ends I get those sewing needle like coils. Stylists and even myself used to wack my ends off calling it damaged for it to be the same a month or two later :ohwell:. But its just teeny coils that kinda feel rough. Took til my hhj to see this. Unfortunately these ends can snap real easy and fight heat like a prize fighter.lol
---------------------
Oan, just blow dried and about to run this hot comb through it. Raining cats and dogs out but I dont care. Lol

Rae81

Your not alone my shrinkage is ridiculous.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I couldn't wait to see if my hair would fully revert. It did! Win win win !!

I prepooed with olive oil and shampooed with clarifying poo.

I will def use the texture management from Beautiful Textures again.

This weekend I am going to hot oil treat my ends. I feel the product is a tad drying. Nothing that I think will cause breakage. My hair is shiny and happy and shedding was normal.

Attachments

• image-2021311228.jpg
    image-2021311228.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 59

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Last night instead of cross wrapping my hair I slept with 2 bantu knots. One on top and one in the back. I have a lot of ng/shrinkage and this seems like less manipulation.

I'm getting my hair done again in less than 2 weeks :grin:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I used my HSI flat iron today and like Hav stated already, it is the bomb. I like it more than my Amika & Babyliss. Speaking of my Babyliss...I ordered it once, swore it was a knock off...sold it....ordered a 2nd one from a different seller on Amazon and this one seems the exact same. The plates don't grip the hair tight enough for me. I now want a FHI to complete my flat iron stash. Why? I don't know...I rarely flat iron more than twice a year. A girl's gotta have options right?! lmbo

havilland

My new half wig Livia by outre. First two pics are my hair. (I don't know why it posted twice) Second pic is the wig. Great match!

Attachments

• image-2531065221.jpg
    image-2531065221.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image-4209479621.jpg
    image-4209479621.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image-3031615650.jpg
    image-3031615650.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Straight haired naturals or naturals that flatiron occasionally: How can you tell the difference between new growth and reversion?

It looks as if I have 1/2 inch or more in new growth, but I won't be 100% sure until I blowout my hair again.

havilland

Straight haired naturals or naturals that flatiron occasionally: How can you tell the difference between new growth and reversion? It looks as if I have 1/2 inch or more in new growth, but I won't be 100% sure until I blowout my hair again.

Good question....

I don't keep my hair straight long enough to assume it's growth. A week or less. Two at the most but that's pushing it.

MilkChocolateOne

Straight haired naturals or naturals that flatiron occasionally: How can you tell the difference between new growth and reversion? It looks as if I have 1/2 inch or more in new growth, but I won't be 100% sure until I blowout my hair again.
I can't tell the difference. 2 weeks between washes is the longest that I am willing to go. I don't have noticeable growth after such a short period of time.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Thanks for responding ladies. I keep my hair straightened for up to a month at a time, so there is usually a tad bit of new growth towards the end of the month. I guess I will find out if it's growth when I get my hair done next week. I'm 95% sure it's ng :look:

I will be sure to post my blowout pics :)

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

I usually don't see reversion at the hair near the scalp because I don't moisturize that area. I let my sebum do the work. My new growth comes in as a slight wave towards the end of the 2nd week or beginning of the 3rd week. My ends start getting bushy cause that's the only area that I moisturize so that's where I see reversion. So reversion for me equals bushy, swole hair. New growth is wavy hair. Hope that makes sense.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Here is a pic of my roots. My hair is 4b so there are no visible curls or waves until I stretch the strand.

The ends look crinkly/yaki (reversion)
The roots have tiny spirals (hopefully new hair)
I don't moisturize my scalp and I don't sweat so my roots shouldn't revert unless my hair gets wet in the shower or outside.

Attachments

• 20141215_093403.jpg
    20141215_093403.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Here is a pic of my roots. My hair is 4b so there are no visible curls or waves until I stretch the strand. The ends look crinkly/yaki (reversion) The roots have tiny spirals (hopefully new hair) I don't moisturize my scalp and I don't sweat so my roots shouldn't revert unless my hair gets wet in the shower or outside.

That could be new growth then! :)

havilland

Here is a pic of my roots. My hair is 4b so there are no visible curls or waves until I stretch the strand.

The ends look crinkly/yaki (reversion)
The roots have tiny spirals (hopefully new hair)
I don't moisturize my scalp and I don't sweat so my roots shouldn't revert unless my hair gets wet in the shower or outside.

i agree. i'm thinking that's new growth....prior to using my new method, my hair reverted first at the scalp because i sweat alot....so i never would have been able to tell the difference between new growth and reversion.:drunk:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
havilland I only sweat when I work out and as of lately I haven't been doing any cardio. I really want to join the gym, but I'm afraid my blowouts won't last longer than a few days :( I have been doing pilates and low intensity work outs

havilland

havilland I only sweat when I work out and as of lately I haven't been doing any cardio. I really want to join the gym, but I'm afraid my blowouts won't last longer than a few days :( I have been doing pilates and low intensity work outs

I sweat if I blink. Lol! My roots stay reverting....the TMS helps tame it so far.

havilland

I want to try it on my daughter's hair. Is the kit enough for multiple applications or did you use it all at once?

It's enough for several applications. My hair is BSB and I have plenty left over. A little goes a long way. I would definitely prepoo her hair though. That shampoo is very stripping and clarifying. My hair was fine with it but only because I deep conditioned with a prepoo beforehand. I don't care what the instructions say, use heat protectant. That didn't affect my results much I don't think at all. I love my results.

Rae81

The crown of my head is the worst part of my head. I get the most ask and splits in that section. I straightened my hair and all my hair looks nice and that section feels dry and the ends feel rough. I am going to have to really work on that section

havilland

The crown of my head is the worst part of my head. I get the most ask and splits in that section. I straightened my hair and all my hair looks nice and that section feels dry and the ends feel rough. I am going to have to really work on that section

I would deep condition that area and add some silk aminos to the conditioner to help restore it. Also Moisturize and seal that area nightly.

havilland

Curly pony today. Full reversion after the TMS SYSTEM was applied. My hair feels "coated" though. Not in a bad way...like in a "covered with conditioner" way.

Attachments

• image-1773641909.jpg
    image-1773641909.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1106037607.jpg
    image-1106037607.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 75

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
6 day old straight hair. 2 twisted ponytails wrapped around each other. When I first straightened my hair, I didn't like that it came out a bit fluffy. But I see that the fluffiness can make cute styles.

Last edited:

havilland

6 day old straight hair. 2 twisted ponytails wrapped around each other. When I first straightened my hair, I didn't like that it came out a bit fluffy. But I see that the fluffiness can make cute styles.

I love that twist! It's so pretty...I wish my hair was that thick. The color is nice too!

havilland

I used the TMS shampoo and conditioner today and flat ironed again. This time was better than the initial time. My hair feels like glass. It's beautiful.

So far I am loving this system. It's only takes me and hour to blow dry and flat iron my hair. My hair is soft, flowing and shiny. OMG. I'm in love. I'm probably going to make this my last flat iron for awhile. I don't want to damage my hair but wow, I'm gonna miss this silky straight hair.

Attachments

• image-2395912606.jpg
    image-2395912606.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1266721928.jpg
    image-1266721928.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 53

havilland

Here's a question: For you ladies that have been natural a year or so, how are you feeling about the journey so far? Any regrets? Frustrations? Things you want to celebrate? Things you have learned this far about hair or yourself as a natural? Share... ;)

Mine are: Regrets- none. I shoulda done it sooner. Mad I let fear of the unknown keep me in chemicals. I LOVED my relaxed hair but my natural hair is way better.

Frustrations - humidity and her evil cousin rain

Celebrate- I have the longest hair on my head since I was a kid

Things learned - natural hair takes work and commitment, especially if you want to retain length. With care, my natural hair as an adult is nothing like how it was when I was a kid. I am amazed at how much of a difference the right products and the proper regime makes.

Last edited: