Natural vs Relaxed stylists

lexiwiththecurls

I hope this questioned hasn't been posed before...
How do you tell a stylist how to do your hair? Is it even proper to question a stylist method or to educate them? Just wondering..
I have had a few incidences where I sit in the chair in PAIN :wallbash: because I didn't speak up. I have never been the type to speak up to a stylist when I know they are doing something wrong. So I got a sew in the other day and I was sooo irritated and in pain that I really wanted to hit the girl. I had blown my hair out and it wasn't completely detangled ( i was rushing) so she starts to cornrow my hair and uses a rat tail comb to comb out my hair from the TOP to the BOTTOM. WTH was she thinking??? My head hurt sooo bad and she was so rough with me. Is it not common sense to comb from the bottom to top if the hair is tangled? I mean I could see if it was a caucasian person and they comb from top to bottom...but I would think it is common sense...maybe not. So this poses another question: If you are natural, should you only go to a stylist that has natural hair since they know how to deal with your texture? I don't necessarily believe this, but for some reason I have hair hair issues with relaxed women doing my hair, plus I have heard that most hair schools really don't go into natural hair besides how to cornrow, etc...

Sorry so many questions. I am just tired of the pain to get my hair done/detangled/thrown around.

Learn to speak up right away, it's your money and your hair. You are responsible for your hair, your health, your mind and your body.

It is not only proper, it is the right thing to do. You should question everything you don't understand.

If you don't like what someone is doing you have every right to let them know and stop the show.

Having said that I used to be the one to sit and not say anything. I had my first weave for 5 hours and I hated it and haven't had one since. Complete waste of my time and money because I was afraid to speak up.:wallbash:

If I have to educate a stylist, she/he should pay me. I stick with stylists who know the qualities of my hair and how to cut it and style it. For that reason I would probably not got with a stylist who relaxed their own hair.

Honestly I'm scared to go to both. My last salon experience was a bit overwhelming. I went in to a salon catering to both, I clearly stated that I was natural when making my appointment and that I wanted a cut and flat-iron. They did all the good stuff but when it came time to flatironing well there was no heat protectant, and the heat was so damn HIGH!!! Not to mention she went over my hair a few times with the iron. It was beautiful but I was crying when I got home I just knew I suffered from heat damage the thing I was trying to get away from.

When I went into an exclusively natural salon for a consultation it was overwhelming, they were a bit militant. They wanted me to comb out my curls, and just like wear it in a fro. And I'm not into that, so I just kind of walked away.
Go to the dominicans they tell me Mija you need a relaxer. If I don't get one then they want to detangle how they want to and are extra rough.

I rather stay at home and do it. Save my money and sanity.

If I'm paying you MY money, you will do my hair the way I tell you to do my hair, period. I'm very protective of my hair on the very rare occasion that I go to a salon and I tell them exactly what they are and are not going to do to my hair. I worked too hard to achieve the health and length I have just to throw it awa because of an incompetent miseducated stylist.

On the blue moon that I do go to stylists, I go to ones that understand that you must be gentle with natural hair and respect my requests. You should look for a salon that's highly recommended don't hesitate to visit them one day and watch them in action to see how they handle their clients hair.

If you're in the midst of getting your hair styled and you feel that their detangling too rough or braiding too tight.....tell them! It's your hair, your head and your $$ would you rather suffer a setback for the sake of being polite or would you rather speak up and make sure you hair stays on track?

Overall, I do my hair myself, I only go to my salon for a trim and they're always willing to listen to my requests and respectful of my rules, thats the kinda place to go to.

Back