Gray hairs different texture?

hrtbndr21

<Sniff, sniff :crybaby:> I have a few gray hairs starting to come in now. They have little to no curl pattern. I noticed my dad's hair which is almost completely white looks straightish but I just thought that was a health/nutrition thing. It's going to be interesting concealing these babies as more come in now that I'm natural. :perplexed

Anybody else notice their gray hair is a different texture than their colored hair?

FindingMe

yep, mine are more coarse and wiry...they tend to stick up and are harder to curl than the rest of my hair, so I have to beat them into submission:wallbash:
:lachen:
I tried plucking them out:blush: ('cause I started out with only a few, but as they grew back, they stood straight out and didn't lay down...i just kept getting more and more, so i stopped pulling them out and just let them be

AtlantaJJ

<Sniff, sniff :crybaby:> I have a few gray hairs starting to come in now. They have little to no curl pattern. I noticed my dad's hair which is almost completely white looks straightish but I just thought that was a health/nutrition thing. It's going to be interesting concealing these babies as more come in now that I'm natural. :perplexed

Anybody else notice their gray hair is a different texture than their colored hair?
Girl some of my gray hairs are straight 1a's !! I mean straight I mean not a bend in them. I got one long one that I use to measure my over all length because the rest of my hair is that length when it's stretched... It's funny I have like 10 of them and they are henna colored so they just look funny after a fresh wash sticking out there! LOL

JustKiya

From what I understand, gray hairs are almost always different from your 'normal' hair texture - it's just part of the hairs characteristic. My mom has really fine, soft, lays down easy hair - her grays, however, are super wiry and stand up all over the place - she's struggling to figure out how to incorporate them into her locks smoothly....

Dark&Lovley

Gray hair tends to be coarse because all the pigmentation is gone.

The pigment cells in our hair follicles gradually die. When there are fewer pigment cells in a hair follicle, that strand of hair will no longer contain as much melanin and will become a more transparent color - like gray, silver, or white - as it grows.

StarrsNana

Yes! And mine are mostly in my front hairline and sideburn area (sticking straight out).

Same as one of the other posters, I used them to measure my progress because (1) they aren't as coiled and (2) they aren't as likely to break from stretching.