Natural hair give you a headache?

ajoyfuljoy

Question ladies:

I'm 12 weeks post now (I don't know why I thought it was longer than that), and when I try to manipulate my hair from the scalp a little (parting it to put condish in it), if I do it too much, it gives me a headache.

Do other naturals, transitioners, relaxed heads with a lot of NG feel this way? Am I doing something wrong or is this just a sign that my hair is really thick?

I was one of those little kids who cried whenever my natural hair was combed/styled/whatever. If I ever transitioned, I'd hate to cut my hair and end up in that same position.

So any help from ladies with hair that sometimes gives them a headache would be greatly appreciated!

JustKiya

I don't get a headache, perse, but my scalp gets SORE. When I'm done with a detangling session, all the pulling and tugging and twisting leaves my scalp feeling - achy. It's not really a headache, because it's not coming from my head, it's really a scalpache! :lol:

Parting doesn't bother me as much, anymore - I think it just took my head a little while to get used to it after I took my locks out, but for a while there - yeah. It almost felt - swollen, or something.

I think it just might be part and parcel of being tenderheaded & natural.

*thinks* I'll have to think about tricks I've learned to put less stress on my scalp - but I don't know if any of them would help, since you're transitioning, and since I transitioned in braids, I don't remember much.... :(

carib_n_curly

been natural my whole life and i've never got one headache from myself doing my hair.
maybe when i was younger and my mum would rake the comb through my dry head, it was war every day
:gunner7: and yeah i got a big a** headcahe from all that crying:cry2: i'm not pretending i cryed my head off. my mum was and still is a monster with a comb:jaws:

maybe your a bit rough i know my mum was. i've never given my self a headache though but i would think that detangling 2 texture will be more tricky than one uniform texture so that may be giving you the headaches.
hope your headaches goes

Bigghair

When I was relaxed and I had a bit of new growth, my scalp would get sore especially in the areas that I normally parted. Now that I am fully natural I don't get a sore scalp or headaches.

ajoyfuljoy

When I was relaxed and I had a bit of new growth, my scalp would get sore especially in the areas that I normally parted. Now that I am fully natural I don't get a sore scalp or headaches.

Well this is the most encouraging post :grin: Thank you, it could be b/c of the two textures. I know that my NG coils a lot and it ends up coiling my relaxed hair and hurts a lot. But this is hope!

Mook's hair

It sounds like it's just your tender-headed-ness!

Yeah...you like the way I hyphenated that! LOL.

I have crazy thick hair! 14 months worth of new growth. But...I'm not tender-headed. I don't get those headaches but I have seen a few other threads recently with ladies having the same issue. My 10 year old neice is like this too.

I wish I had some advice for you but I don't know the remedy for tender-headed-ness. Someone needs to invent a product that desensitizes the scalp temporarily the way Anbesol does on gums.

blazingthru

I been natural for over 2 years heading towards my three years --now I never get a headache, I am extremely tenderheaded. I only use a comb on my hair when I am in the shower and thats the only time a comb touches my head. I remember when I was researching naturals I could not understand why anyone want to be natural, I remember how much it hurt. But I learned our hair was meant to be style when its wet. Since I learned that one thing I been good as a natural. Now I use MT and OV but I used a spritz (water) and finger part my hair and put it on my scalp I never run my fingers through it or anything like that. Nope never. I do massage my hair and put a bonnet over it and work through it in the shower in the morning. THats how I been doing my hair since I gained length.

BeautifulRoots

been natural my whole life and i've never got one headache from myself doing my hair.
maybe when i was younger and my mum would rake the comb through my dry head, it was war every day
:gunner7: and yeah i got a big a** headcahe from all that crying:cry2: i'm not pretending i cryed my head off. my mum was and still is a monster with a comb:jaws:

maybe your a bit rough i know my mum was. i've never given my self a headache though but i would think that detangling 2 texture will be more tricky than one uniform texture so that may be giving you the headaches.
hope your headaches goes

Oh goodness!! Brings back soooooo many memories. :lachen: I used to cry soooo hard when my mom detangled my hair when I was little. She did it on dry hair too. Always been natural also so yea, we always would fight on wash day. My dad and my brother would leave the house everytime my mom washed my hair because I would cry and scream and yell...LOL!!! Soo funny... :lachen:(well now its funny, back then it wasnt...)

ajoyfuljoy

I been natural for over 2 years heading towards my three years --now I never get a headache, I am extremely tenderheaded. I only use a comb on my hair when I am in the shower and thats the only time a comb touches my head. I remember when I was researching naturals I could not understand why anyone want to be natural, I remember how much it hurt. But I learned our hair was meant to be style when its wet. Since I learned that one thing I been good as a natural. Now I use MT and OV but I used a spritz (water) and finger part my hair and put it on my scalp I never run my fingers through it or anything like that. Nope never. I do massage my hair and put a bonnet over it and work through it in the shower in the morning. THats how I been doing my hair since I gained length.

This makes sense, it does hurt when it is dry, that is when I was doing it, thanks!

SimpleKomplexity

Before I joined LHCF, my hair used to get extremely sore when I needed a relaxer. Maybe I just wasn't used to it. I'm not tenderheaded, so I always thought of it as a sign my hair was growing. I'm 11 weeks post right now, and my scalp is a little tender at times, but not really because I'm just letting it do it's all thing. I'm not combing it or ANYTHING so it's not sore at all right now.

BklynHeart

With the 2 textures the new growth always seems hard and rough. I'm fully natural and don't have any problems with combing through and detangling.