Natural Girl...shrinking braid outs!?!

Teva

What can I do to prevent my braid out from shrinking?

I was and condition then apply S-curl activator gel, then I add a little oil in sections. After my hair drys in a bun I braid it in about 7 braids with sheabutter. The following day I open the barids, it looks great for the first hour but as the time goes it gets poofier and poofier.

What can I do?

You may want to try an anti-humectant type of product like gel or Aveda anti-humectant while it is still wet then braid. You can use those with your oil/butter. Those work for me but the only problem is that I have to wash them out in about 2 days or my hair gets too dry. HTH.
smile.gif

You may also want to try less braids. I too use the Aveda anti-humectant to seal in the moisture after washing, conditioning and my leave-in and any oils I may use. After air drying, I make 4 braids. I prefer to leave my braids in overnight for a more defined braid out. Otherwise, after 2-3 hours, my braid out looks pretty good, just not as defined. At night when I rebraid my hair, I add just a little bit of Protectiv Breakfree moisturizer to my braids. It's very light and so far, there's no build-up. If it's a humid day, I'll also lightly apply some more anti-humectant, not too much or it can loosen some of the waves. Since I wash every 3 days, my hair is always moisturized.

Edited to say:

I just noticed you have "Natural Girl" in the subject line. I am relaxed so the Anti-humectant may not work the same way on natural hair.Perhaps creating more braids will help. Nay is natural and usually wears a long, beautiful braidout. You may want to check out her regimen.

I think the glycerine in the activator is causing your hair to shrink. That is the main reason I am not a fan of glycerine based products because I hate shrinkage and I don't like the way it feels.

I would make sure your hair is damp when you do the braids or even wet. Then let it dry completely. That should give more definition and keep the poof away.

Instead of airdrying I sit under a soft bonnet dryer. I apply my leave-in and shea on the ends then spray the length of my hair with lasta QP Silk while wet. Drying under the dryer seals in all the moisture. I think that's what keeps my braid-outs from swelling.

I think the two most important things are to a) make relatively small braids (between 16-20 depending on thickness/length); and b) make sure the hair is COMPLETELY DRY before removing braids.

For natural hair, wetness = shrinking/poof.

Good luck! Nay does have some GORGEOUS braidout pics
smile.gif

you may want to use a petroleum based product since they prevent moisture from entering the strands. Dont use the s-curl because it has glycerine which is a humectant that attracts moisture. Also let your hair dry completely before releasing braids.

Isis the anti-humectant sounds confusing. Does it add moisture or retain moisture?

I need to make large braids for the braid out to fall right. If they are too small it just does not look right.

Why do some people braid wet hair and some dry? What is the real differnce?

[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
Maybe your braid outs are shrinking because your hair is still damp.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what blue flower maybe you are right, maybe the scurl gel keeps too much moisture in my hair for the braid out to come out smoothly. Thanks that makes sense.

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
you may want to use a petroleum based product since they prevent moisture from entering the strands. Dont use the s-curl because it has glycerine which is a humectant that attracts moisture. Also let your hair dry completely before releasing braids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I am really getting this now. The main key seems to be the moisture. Even though the braids seem dry the hair is still too moist to give the braids a nice stretch for a firm braid out.

Thanks everyone, I think I got it now.

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Hairlove,

What is the password for your Fotki photo Journal? I tried "pm", but I don't think that's it. Just wanted to see your hair. Thanks.

Cheek2Cheek

I tried my first braidout and you know not too long after I took these pics, my hiar poofed up and shrank.
frown.gif

I at least took some new pics for everyone to see in my fotki album. I'm still getting the hang of braidouts.

I agree with everyone about the moisture. When I do a braidout with wet hair, it never dries completely, even overnight....I think doing it with dry hair creates more definition.

Back