Natural 4As/4Bs - How to KEEP hair untangled

EbonyEyes

To naturals with 4A/4B hair:

I have conditioners that are great at helping me detangling in the shower. But when my hair dries, it's almost as if I never spent an hour detangling my hair.

I put my hair in 8-10 twists, wash, condition, and detangle each section, then twist it back up. But an hour later, my hair is acting like it hasn't been detangled in weeks!

Do you have any conditioners that not only effectively detangle but KEEP it detangled? Do you have a drying method (methods without heat) that helps keep the hair tangle free? If so, what is it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

-Ebony

Last edited:

Shatani

girl, im living your hair!!!! my hair doesnt stay detangled either....im pretty sure theres nothing i can do about it...my shrinkage is like whoa and no matter what i do, how i separate and braid and twist sections, once it shrinks its like i never did anything to it!!!!

i have just come to accept the fact that my hair doesnt like to be combed....so, i'll detangle it in the shower and what not, but i have no fantasies of running a comb (no matter how wide the teeth are) through any large portions of my hair....its just not to be for me.....i hope someone can help you with yours though!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Check out Chicoro's album. She detangles her natural hair very well and it looks so nice and smooth when she wears a bun or does the baggie method. :yep:

DragonPearl

EbonyEyes said:
To naturals with 4A/4B hair:
I put my hair in 8-10 twists, wash, condition, and detangle each section, then twist it back up. But an hour later, my hair is acting like it hasn't been detangled in weeks!
-Ebony
I agree with Shaitani. Once your natural hair is in the process of drying, unless it is drying straight through rollersetting or some sort of straightening process, the coils and strands are going to stay coiled around each other, because that's what natural African hair does. Natural African hair is zigzaged or coiled, not straight or wavy or curly, so putting a comb through it when it's dry will feel as thought the hair has not been detangled. The reason why you don't have this much of a problem when it's wet is because of the slip factor of water and conditioners.

That's why I don't comb my hair when it's dry unless I absolutely must.

confused_one

Try Pro-line's Comb-Thur Softener, i used it while my hair was dry and it soften my hair enough so i could comb it out.

EbonyEyes

Jessy55 said:
I agree with Shaitani. Once your natural hair is in the process of drying, unless it is drying straight through rollersetting or some sort of straightening process, the coils and strands are going to stay coiled around each other, because that's what natural African hair does. Natural African hair is zigzaged or coiled, not straight or wavy or curly, so putting a comb through it when it's dry will feel as thought the hair has not been detangled. The reason why you don't have this much of a problem when it's wet is because of the slip factor of water and conditioners.

That's why I don't comb my hair when it's dry unless I absolutely must.

Thanks Jessy55 for your response (Your hair is beautiful, by the way). The only time I comb my hair dry is when I'm taking out of my twists. And get this, when I do that, it's not hard to comb at all. It's as if the smaller twists stretch the curl. But it's when I try to seperate my damp hair with my fingers for the twisting process that I can feel my hair tangling back up.

-Ebony

babyblue

if i want my hair to airdry without tangling i make some large braids or bantu knots to dry. if i detangle and let dry loose then i have a real problem on my hands once it dries....

I think the key is that we need to let go of old habits that we had when we permed like combing it all the time especially when dry. natural hair doesnt need to be combed as often and is more managable when in its damp state.