Help with slow going nape.

irsgirl

I have been a member of lhcf since December 2008 and my hair is the healthiest it has ever been. When I wear it down i get tons on compliments. Here's my problem: I started my journey in November 2008 at that time I was right at shoulder length, but my hair was thin and uneven. By October 2009 I was below APL, but my hair dresser said the back was thin and my hair didn't look healthy, so I let her cut it back to SL where it looked healthy.

BY February 2011 I was again back to about APL and faced with the same problem, thin, short nape, so again I cut it to a little above SL.

This is my latest length check, again we can see the thin, short nape creeping up again. It kinda makes a W shape.

I need help! I don't want to cut it again because I will never make my goal, if each time it gets to this length I cut it back. Please any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

bigbrowneyez

I don't think you should cut it again. Give the nape time to grow and fill in. The w isn't always from breakage or damage, esp if ur not seeing any breakage or mishandling the nape. I'm prone to a w and have to let it fill in. I have less strands from the root in my nape area. I had actual breakage at one point years ago but the length of my nape has since been growing in nicely. I've cut a w out twice since my hcj in 2 years. It's not because of breakage. My sides, esp the right grows faster than the middle nape region. It just takes patience and being extra careful with the area. Keep the area moisturized and let it fill in.

Nonie

OP, if you're not dusting, then the reason your hair looks thin when it gets longer is coz the longer your ends are on your head, the older they are and the more worn they become. If you never dust, then you are just letting the "age" travel up the strand and pieces of your hair tear off leaving thin ends. I know I get the side-eye for saying that but it's the only explanation I can come up with.

Of course friction does wreck more havoc on nape than anywhere else...but thin ends are the next step after splits have come and torn off. If there were no splits, there'd be no thin ends. So if no dusting was done between Oct 2009 and Feb 2011, then of course nature took care of the "trimming" for you...only nature does it in a rugged way that leaves thin, partial strands.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Do u relax? If so, try not relaxing your nape for a while or relaxing it last/less time. I had that issue when I was relaxed, and that helped my nape grow out. Now I know it was because my nape is finer/ looser than the rest of my hair. It was simply being over-processed...

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

irsgirl

Yes I bun from November 1st to April 30th and in the summer I sometime bun during the week and only wear my hair out on the weekends.

irsgirl

Do u relax? If so, try not relaxing your nape for a while or relaxing it last/less time. I had that issue when I was relaxed, and that helped my nape grow out. Now I know it was because my nape is finer/ looser than the rest of my hair. It was simply being over-processed...

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF
I thought about not relaxing the nape because it is very fine. I looked at pictures when I was a kid and I had these two long side ponytails and the back pony was always shorter.

virtuenow

I need help w/a slow growing everything, sorry, still trying to figure it out myself. I agree, my back/nape/crown area is the worse. Its probably not a growth problem, but a retention problem you have going on back there. Is it possible you are drying your hair out or not getting enough moisture back there?

irsgirl

I don't think you should cut it again. Give the nape time to grow and fill in. The w isn't always from breakage or damage, esp if ur not seeing any breakage or mishandling the nape. I'm prone to a w and have to let it fill in. I have less strands from the root in my nape area. I had actual breakage at one point years ago but the length of my nape has since been growing in nicely. I've cut a w out twice since my hcj in 2 years. It's not because of breakage. My sides, esp the right grows faster than the middle nape region. It just takes patience and being extra careful with the area. Keep the area moisturized and let it fill in.

We must be hair twins because my right front grows like wild flowers and the right front grows faster than the nape too. I'll take your advise I won't cut it and I'll baby it during the winter months to see what happens. thanks.

irsgirl

I need help w/a slow growing everything, sorry, still trying to figure it out myself. I agree, my back/nape/crown area is the worse. Its probably not a growth problem, but a retention problem you have going on back there. Is it possible you are drying your hair out or not getting enough moisture back there?

No I don't think it's a moisture problem. The hairs in my nape are very sparse and fine. Since joining lhcf I found a great moisture/protein balance routine for my hair. It's weird because I took hair types from both my parents. My mom had thick course hair, but it grow beautifully and my dad had fine wavy hair. The hair on the sides and back are fine maybe 3c and the front middle to right before the nape starts is course 4c hair and then the nape is the fine 3c, but my 3c hair on the sides grow fine and are always at least 3 inches longer than the nape.