Nape Growth Challenge Anyone?

Misseyl

I know you have to be relaxed to be having this problem because that's the only time I had that issue was when I was relaxed. If I was you I would relax the nape last. If a beautician is doing your relaxer then she needs to neutralize the nape properly and wash-off the basin where you rest your head to make sure no relaxer residue is there.:afro:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I know you have to be relaxed to be having this problem because that's the only time I had that issue was when I was relaxed. If I was you I would relax the nape last. If a beautician is doing your relaxer then she needs to neutralize the nape properly and wash-off the basin where you rest your head to make sure no relaxer residue is there.:afro:
Most of us are natural in this challenge. The issue is the texture difference in the back. My hair is baby fine back there like velcro and really fragile.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
There is an interesting point about my relaxed hair. I discovered I had a cowlick in the middle of my nape whe the hair grows up. I could really see the direction when I was relaxed, not so much as a natural. I spent many, many years trying to force it into a V, causing breakage. I also have a cowlick in the front at my hairline. The section grows toward my face where the rest of my hairline in the front grows towards the back of my head--yet another place where I was trying to force my hair in a direction it didn't want to go. I was stressing the hair in those areas trying to force them to do what they didn't do naturally.

Aggie

Just moisturized my hair and massaged my front scalp area that needs filling in a little. It feels so good afterwards too. So invigorating.

greenandchic

I had the same issue (even worse) when I was natural.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I have kept the bottom 1.5-2 inches of my hair in a cornrow across the bottom, which has helped a lot. I didn't have one in the past few days, and I had a set back. I'm going to moisturize and braid it back up tonight.

Aggie

As for me today, I prepooed with Matrix Biolage Hydrasource with Aloeconitioning balm mixed with sunflower and palm oil and a dash of aloe jiuce.

It felt much better than it did last week. I suppose I can use it as a deep conditioner this way, but the prepoo is working swimmingly so why mess with a good thing?

I used Redken Time Reset shampoo (made my hair feel squeaky clean without feeling hard) and now I'm deep conditioning with Redken Time Reset Youth Revitalizer replenishing deep treatment for 20 minutes under hooded dryer.

This shampoo and treatment also have ceramides and camellia oil in them. I'm a little excited about that so we'll see how good it is for my hair once I'm done. I'm washing this out and finishing off with a palm oil rinse leaving some of it on my hair.

I'll be moisturizing with Redken Anti Snap leave in sealed with sunflower oil. That's me for my hair day.

LdyKamz

I'm having nape problems again so think I'll hang out in here. Only thing is I wear my hair straight. The rest of my hair is ok to habdle heat but what do I do with that part of my hair when I'm wearing it straight?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I've been keeping my hair either in two braids back there or twists. For DD, I've been flat twisting the back or either two strand twisting it and keeping it moisturized.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I've been keeping my nape maintained in a horizontal braid. It is definitely growing, so I am going to keep it up. I just need to keep a delicate balance between re-braiding too often and not re-braiding enough. If the braid gets too messy, I start to absentmindedly pull at the edges. If I re-braid it too often, the hair starts to pull out.

Aggie

My edges in the front of my head are filling in nicely I believe from the inversions and scalp massages. It can do with another 2 months of this to look even better.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I will be wearing braids under a wig for the next few weeks so that I can baby my ends and retain all my growth.

theRaven

I was looking for this thread earlier. I wish I took starter pictures, I checked my hair growth and I think I'm bsl :look:

I just make sure to take extra care to nape when deep conditioning, and I ever so often do a dust.

Rozlewis

I want to join too. My nape is in pretty good shape but having a challenge that makes me pay attention to it is always good. I tent to baby my nape and keep it will moisturized because it is the driest part of my hair. I also stay on top of my protein treatments and that has made a difference. I think 6 months will give me enough time to see progress.