My (white) DH's Prejudice About Natural Hair....

10WordzOrLess

Is this a roll-call in disguise?!:look:

Because I feel compared to share:grin:

I BC'd to a VERY short haircut/fade, and my Hubbster was there for the whole process. He told me it was a great idea, he drove me to the barber, and then he took pics. He also told me I was more
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L than before. I was scared, and feeling less feminine, and he assured me that I'd never looked more like a woman than when I was shorn. He couldn't keep his hands off my egg-head!

He definitely prefers my twa to the way I had it before, and I don't think he could be more supportive. We both enjoy watching my fro grow. He's noticed the rise in my self-esteem, and cofidence and he can't wait to see what I do with it next.

I know exactly how you feel Kbragg.

Miss AJ

I think men from all races are starting to appreciate nappy hair a lot more. It's sad to say but when black men say they like my hair I am shocked because there was a time i was always getting teased about my hair by my own people. White people genuinely do love our hair and i've had white friends say they wish their hair could do what mine does. And kbragg i agree with your hubby on his Bey comment. Don't get me wrong, i love Bey and she is a beautiful woman but she is the black version of Jennifer Aniston: she's had the same look for years and she only makes safe changes like a new cut or something. IMO, there is nothing about her look that makes me think of her as the epitome of black beauty.

Enyo

See ya'll thought I was gonna say something bad didn't you?:grin:

Nope. All the White guys I dated loved natural hair. When I first stop relaxing a few White hubbies asked me to "talk to" their wives to get them to follow suit. :yep:

Amerie123

I have a black DH, and he feels the same (except the part w/ the Buffy booty) lol.. he dont want my butt to get any bigger than what it is. and although i have a big butt, he tells me that it don't need to get no bigger, in fact, he used buffy as an example of what not to look like. lol. but other than that, he loves the natural hair look .. i appreciate your DH's opinion though, about embracing who you are. thats very mature coming from a man.

Last edited:

healthyhair2

My SO prefers the natural look too. He's white as well. The way my curls feel to him ,I think drives him crazy!!!He also says my hair is healthier that way. He calls my relaxed hair "Church hair", which is his way of saying it doesn't suit me, because I don't go to church. Nothing wrong with church though ladies,but I'm Buddhist :) I have had way more passes made at me by White men when I was natural! Go figure?......

brucebettye

I was going to be all mad at Kbragg for blasting her husband on LHCF, until I read the story. It is nice to see that your husband supports you going natural with your hair and wants your daughters to be proud of their natural hair. Nice story.

LadyAmani

That was very mature of your husband Kbragg, i agree with your husband i want my daughter to be happy and confident in the hair that she has.... When she grows some bc right now she is rockin a baldy :lachen:.

serendipity

I think it's admirable that your DH appreciates the natural look.
I hate to sound like a party pooper but I'd hate for my SO to be highly vested in how I choose to wear my hair. Hair is one of those things that can come and go in a flash(God forbid should I develop cancer or alopecia). I'd rather he didn't really care so long as I'm presentable amongst other things.

hair_rehab

This older white man at the gym always makes sure to compliment my hair whenever he sees me (I hope he's just being nice and not trying to holla though :look:) He even suggested a hair product to me one day, lol.

BonBon

Finally, someone who doesn't think Bey looks like a "goddess"!!

LOL I remember talking to a good white male friend back when Crazy In Love was out. He's like "Look at her beautiful face, her butt, her skin...but her hair is awful. Why doesn't she have hair like a black lady??" :lachen:

newbiemom

Is your hubby related to mine. Ibc'd about a year ago and started my hhj but my dh doesn't credit lhcf or my smarter choices for my hair growth. It is because I have put down the creamy crack aka the devil. MY dh hates weave like it ran over his dog. Only natural hair. If 3 bw are in a commercial and the one with the biggest natural fro and biggest booty gets his attention.

Nonie

OP I would have been surprised if your post had been that he hated it, coz any white guys that I've discussed hair with have been in love with natural hair. For example, my neighbor once expressed how much he loves a TWA and wondered why I don't wear that. He's in his 70's and I was showing his wife, 65, how I put extensions in...when he joined the convo and told me about his coworker at the Pentagon who looks so classy with a TWA that always has a cute clip or flower in it. As he gestured as if knew how she slips the clip into her hair :lachen: I couldn't help but be uber amused by how animated and excited he was about the look of natural TWA hair on a black woman.

Guitarhero

That's great and all but regarding the posts mentioning "Black women with the Western look," you might as well include a suit, pumps, makeup and a job, driving a car and not a horse or a camel. That's the look that most Westerners have on the job and then jeans and tee-shirts off the job. It's not kente cloth. Not that my ancestors would wear kente cloth, but they are from here, the West. And as an American, I wear western looks, including however I wish to wear my hair, which varies. Am I sucked into group think? Not really. Do I like trends? Yes. But then again, holding a job and paying taxes might mean group think as well. Or maybe not. I just wish we'd get to the point that whatever and however a woman desires to look is her own business and that people should not judge her in attempt to change her perfect right to freedom.

Last edited:

michc

First of all Kbragg I just saw from your siggie that you are pregnant! Big congratulations to you (I am a secret stalker of your posts with fitness tips in them :sekret::grin:).

Secondly I love your husbands style! He really knows what he likes and dislikes and that is :up:

and

ShiShiPooPoo said:
He needs to hold a class where he can enlighten some of these brothers out here.

That quote is the TRUTH right there!