My Very First Self Install

SoopremeBeing

Hi all.

Since I am very strapped for cash, and I desperately needed my hair done, I was forced to install my own weave. From start to finish; Sewing in my weave is not problem, but I am a novice at cornrows. The hair I used was Outre Abella Wave and I left my own hair out for the horseshoe, as well as my edges. Unfortunately I am having issues with blending.

I washed with Doo-Gro shampoo, did a 45-min DC with Organic Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner, air dried for an hour, blow dried for 10 mins, and then cornrowed. I used Wild Growth oil for my scalp, Profectiv MegaGrowth for moisturizing, and sealed with Vitamin E oil. I know, oil overload.

The final results are in the pics below, I've been finger-combing the weave for about 10 minutes now to get a more natural-ish look.

Im not really happy with it, TBH :nono:. I am thinking about just braiding the leave-out and doing an invisible part.

Feedback please?

Last edited:

kandiekj100

I like it. It be my own personal bias, but I think I'd like it more if it was a tad longer or a touch fuller. But I think the blending is cool. If you aren't completely liking how the front looks, maybe you can play with pinning up the sides, or putting a headband on.

SoopremeBeing

I like it. It be my own personal bias, but I think I'd like it more if it was a tad longer or a touch fuller. But I think the blending is cool. If you aren't completely liking how the front looks, maybe you can play with pinning up the sides, or putting a headband on.

Yeah, I think it looks a bit flat in the back. I only used one pack of hair(I bought two), so i still have plenty to go around.

manter26

I would just add a few more tracks all around so it's bigger. I don't think the invisible part is necessary. The leave out looks good as it is now.

zoromo

You did a ggreat job! The only thing you may need to brush it out more so the curls look less uniform.

beana

I would add another track between your horsehoe track and the 2nd track, there's a noticeable space there. Also, adding 1-2 tracks to the back would help tweak it even more. Finger comb and you'll be all set! Great 1st try btw

The other ladies provided some great input. I know nothing about weave installs, but I can see you did a good job. :yep:

Guyaneek

I like it and I think you did an awesome job (particularly for your first try!). I think it looks natural and believable. Making it fuller IMO will make it look more weave-y.

EbonyCPrincess

You did a ggreat job! The only thing you may need to brush it out more so the curls look less uniform.

I agree! You did a much better job then I did on my first one. I think the hair is the issue its so uniform and has a much higher lustre than your real hair. Picking out the curls a bit will help it look a bit more natural. I love the length. I'm totally into shorter weaves now.

Nonie

I like it and I think you did an awesome job (particularly for your first try!). I think it looks natural and believable. Making it fuller IMO will make it look more weave-y.

I totally agree with @Guyaneek. I think making it fuller would make it look more like a weave. The way it is now I'd not tell it was a weave. As for the slight differenc between your hair and the shine of the weave, I wonder if some gel wouldn't help to add some bling to your hair (Said by someone who doesn't use gels so doesn't really know what she's talmbout. But I find gels make hair look like something slimy but shiny has been applied so that's why I think it'd work.)

The uniformity of curls doesn't make me think it's a weave. If you curled your hair with a curling iron, you'd get uniform curls. Similarly if you used Curlformers. Check out @queen_t's album on curlformers. Her hair has uniform curls all through. I don't think you need to comb them through or change the unformity of the curls. Even people with natural curls that size have uniform curls all through...unless the hair is damaged and has lost it's natural curl.

Here's a beautiful example of someone's own hair after Curlformers and the uniform curls don't make me doubt it's her hair:

An extra track behind the horseshoe might work...just as long as it doesn't create a bump that's a dead give-away. But otherwise I personally love how it looks and I'd not have guessed it was your first time. Very well done! :up:

BlaqBella

Looks good to me..you did great. I agree with most of what was said, but don't think you need to add anything, but I dont' know about what difference it could make either. Great job!