My transition plan...please offer tips

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
I've decided to transition to natural. I love the feel of my thick new-growth. Right now I'm about 15wks post. I plan to co-wash every other week and dc at that time. I plan to air-dry and wear twist-outs/buns for 2 weeks then after the 2nd co-wash of the month I'll flat-iron and wear my hair straight for 2 weeks. I plan to use really moisturizing conditioners and coconut oil to moisturize. For protein i'll use eggs in my dc once a month. I do not plan to BC, I want to trim away the relaxer 2 inches at a time, so everytime I get 2 inches of new growth I'll trim away 2 inches of relaxed hair until it's gone. Any transitioners out there have tips for me?

TIA

Whimsy

I've decided to transition to natural. I love the feel of my thick new-growth. Right now I'm about 15wks post. I plan to co-wash every other week and dc at that time. I plan to air-dry and wear twist-outs/buns for 2 weeks then after the 2nd co-wash of the month I'll flat-iron and wear my hair straight for 2 weeks. I plan to use really moisturizing conditioners and coconut oil to moisturize. For protein i'll use eggs in my dc once a month. I do not plan to BC, I want to trim away the relaxer 2 inches at a time, so everytime I get 2 inches of new growth I'll trim away 2 inches of relaxed hair until it's gone. Any transitioners out there have tips for me?

TIA

Well it sounds well thought out and filled with moisture which is great.
The only thing that concerns me is that you're only washing twice a month, and it's a co-wash. I feel like your hair won't ever really be getting clean. And your scalp is going to want it. But you know YOUR hair so this may be a great plan if you're used to washing so infrequently.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRANSITION!!!! If you ever want tips and support there's a transitioners support thread....

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Hi :wave: The only thing i would suggest is maybe going longer without heat if you can :yep: I see dramatic retention when i don't straighten every few weeks :) Good luck!!!

BotanyGrl

My tip is to be patient... especially since you're doing a long transition. There will be times when you get frustrated. Just stop what your doing and breathe. Also, try to schedule in extra time for detangling because it will take more than you're used to when dealing with the two textures. And check the Long Term Transitioners thread and the Transitioners Support thread too.

Don't do the BC on a whim. At least give yourself until the next morning to think about it. I've saved myself from chopping my hair off three times in the last seven months just by forcing myself to think it over for 24 hours.

Last, make sure your mentally prepared for what's ahead of you. Start checking out Fotkis with natural hair and never obsess about someone else's texture... Because your hair won't look like theirs.

Good Luck with your transition :yep:

honeybadgirl

yes patience is key. when i did transition it wasnt a big deal. i kept it simple and just went on with my hair as i always did. in the beginning it was hard getting used to the new growth but you are already embracing it. :yep:
i did go back to relaxing but get a touch up about 3-4x a year

loulou82

Good luck! I say take it one week at a time. You may have a plan now but dealing with 1 inch of new growth is a whole lot different than 5 inches. Go with the flow and adjust your regimen when needed. :yep:

Whimsy

Good luck! I say take it one week at a time. You may have a plan now but dealing with 1 inch of new growth is a whole lot different than 5 inches. Go with the flow and adjust your regimen when needed. :yep:

Agreed with that.

Good luck to you! :)

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
Hi :wave: The only thing i would suggest is maybe going longer without heat if you can :yep: I see dramatic retention when i don't straighten every few weeks :) Good luck!!!

I plan to flat-iron once a month and wear it straight for 2 weeks then wash.