My Skala review

JustSimplyTish

Same here Lucia.

Momo, I'm very sorry this happened to you! That is way too much hair. I usually tell people to try Skala but you need to stay FAR away (I don't think I need to tell you twice :yep:).

Momo posted her bum results in the Skala thread first but what I'm wondering is why haven't many of you who are complaining about it now done the same. We sure could've used these reviews in the thread. That's what helps people make a more informed decisions and we want to hear the BAD as well as the good. I'm a Skalahead but I still thank you MoMo for starting this thread.

100% Agree.....To be honest I would have proceeded with caution if I had heard from others who had posted their bad experiences....If I don't like something and it doesn't work for me...I will be the first to speak up so others know what I went thru...I posted my first experience and it was not great it left my hair coated...and I posted that so others would be informed of my results....But after tweaking my procedure I got excellent results and noted that as well...

Thanks OP for your honesty...It helps others who are thinking about using the product in the future be aware of the possible problems that could occur

SEMO

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :( Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It was a reminder to me to not get caught up in the hot new product on the forum all the time (and there's always a hot new product).

I've been getting slack in this recently and had been more and more tempted to splurge on products (I looked but couldn't find Skala in my area). Not to say that I have not found a lot of the products I love through recommendations on here. But sometimes, even when you have products that work for you, you get tempted to switch things up (or a beloved product is reformulated and you're on the hunt again for a replacement).

But like others said, your hair will recover soon. You already know what to do for your hair to grow and maintain it. All you need is a little time now. But I know how hard setbacks can be.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Oh my! This story was horrifying. I'm so sorry you had to go thru it. It does sound like there could be an allergic reaction, since your scalp is irritated. Are you putting anything on the scalp to calm the reaction. Maybe like some hydrocortizone cream. (Just throwing that out there and not at all experienced in this). I'd be worried about continued loss while the scalp is freaking out. Maybe even some aloe gel. Something soothing and healing.

Thanks for posting this and putting your experience out there. But, I'm most concerned now that you get the irritation under control. Keep us posted. Your hair grows fast and will recover in no time.

Making another mental note: stick to what's working. Thanks for that reminder, Mo. Oh, and luckily you were able to pinpoint right away what the culprit was. Imagine those who start a bunch of new things at once. Yikes! :sad:

Mz.MoMo5235

Oh my! This story was horrifying. I'm so sorry you had to go thru it. It does sound like there could be an allergic reaction, since your scalp is irritated. Are you putting anything on the scalp to calm the reaction. Maybe like some hydrocortizone cream. (Just throwing that out there and not at all experienced in this). I'd be worried about continued loss while the scalp is freaking out. Maybe even some aloe gel. Something soothing and healing.

Thanks for posting this and putting your experience out there. But, I'm most concerned now that you get the irritation under control. Keep us posted. Your hair grows fast and will recover in no time.

Making another mental note: stick to what's working. Thanks for that reminder, Mo. Oh, and luckily you were able to pinpoint right away what the culprit was. Imagine those who start a bunch of new things at once. Yikes! :sad:

very true!!! i've been one in the past to totally revamp my reggie, luckily this time there was only the one change so i can fix it.

i'm using tea tree oil on my scalp. its already started to dry up some of my owies. now that i have scabies all over i see i had more owies than i thought :sad:

ms.blue

Assuming when jumping into bandwagons, there is never a thought that a technique or product will not work but what will work for some may not work for others and unfortunately sometimes it leads into a setback. That's why is better to stick what works. Again I'm sorry Mz.MoMo5235 and I know you will recover from this setback.

song_of_serenity

Very sorry to hear that. :( I'm always leery of "unknown" products, especially at a cheap price. Some cheap products work great and I was interested in the skala...but right now what I'm doing is working so I'm sticking with it.

Hang in there and thanks for sharing! and I'm glad it's working for the other ladies as well.

Lucia

exactly lucia... keeping it simple and sticking to what got me to where i'm at. if it worked to get me to wl twice, then it doesnt need changing.

thanks everyone for your support. my hair will eventually thicken back up and i will have forgotten the whole thing in a few months (i have a short attention span so maybe 2 wks lol). i share this so that people think clearly before trying new products... cause if you dont... you hair might break off :(

ITA 100% if your regimen is working don't mess with it, at all ever unless they stop making your staple products have a back up that works exactly or almost like your 1st staple.
(hugs)

Solitude

Wow...I bought three Skala products last week, but I haven't tried them and don't know when I will. I keep thinking to myself that there has to be a reason these products are at Big Lots...:look: They have lots of brands at Big Lots, but still....

JustSimplyTish

Well I seriously would be cautious if I had not tried them just by ingredients or others experiences...But I wouldn't not use them or be cautious because they came from Big Lots...Big Lots is no more than a store like Ross, TJMaxx, Marshall's...they get overstocks and closeouts from other brands from drugstores etc..If brands change their labels etc...they pull and send them to discount stores..it does not mean it is a bad product because it is at Big Lots....

I buy my Caress Body Wash there when they have it..and the only difference in it and Target is the price that I have noticed

Mz.MoMo5235

Well I seriously would be cautious if I had not tried them just by ingredients or others experiences...But I wouldn't not use them or be cautious because they came from Big Lots...Big Lots is no more than a store like Ross, TJMaxx, Marshall's...they get overstocks and closeouts from other brands from drugstores etc..If brands change their labels etc...they pull and send them to discount stores..it does not mean it is a bad product because it is at Big Lots....

I buy my Caress Body Wash there when they have it..and the only difference in it and Target is the price that I have noticed

very true. my mom always shopped at big lots with no adverse reaction to anything. the only reason why i dont regularly is because its out of the way to shop there. when i went there for the sole purpose of skala, i picked up all kinda stuff lol :D and everything else works fine. so i dont blame big lots and at this point i dont think i can fully blame skala if its an allergic reaction you know.

LittleLuxe

Oh you poor thing! My jaw was dropping as I read your review and I practically jumped when I saw the big wad of hair. I was there at the start of my hair journey when I started and looking in my shower after wash days literally made me sick (the hair, the horror!).

I think the problem with bandwagons is that we all have to be educated consumers, mistakes certainly happen and we're all susceptible, but it definitely helps when we take the time to think it through and decide if a product is right for US. That's currently how I feel about most of the Dominican Craze products :Skala, Silicon Mix, etc etc. I can tell some ladies are loving it and it's right for them but when I examine the ingrediants and the fact I'm unfamiliar with the brand/products...I've hit the X instead of Checkout button many a time.

The good news is you're familiar/comfortable with what your hair needs and you've got your routine before this incident down, you should be right back to having healthy strong hair soon.

Sending some hair magic and prayers your way, all the best!

NikStarrr

Your hair his beautiful, and I'm sure it will recover in no time. As for me, I've tried a couple of the Skala products, and I wasn't overly impressed. Suave Almond & Shea, for ex. gives me better slip. The only thing I can really say is that is seems to be pretty good for a dollar product, but then again Suave is a dollar too and has better ingredients. For the people who love Skala, great for them. I say buy it up while you can! For people thinking about it, try it you might like it, but if you don't--don't feel bad. Because looking at the ingredients list and where the few "good" ingredients land on that list--the proof is in the pudding. It's not really a superior product, IMO.

ETA: Also, some of the Skala products in Big Lots have expiration dates (I saw for myself) that have passed. It may be important to check that, because that may contribute to some freaky reactions to it.

Last edited:

*Frisky*

I am sorry this happened to you OP...hopefully your hair will recover fully from this. The same thing happened to me when I used henna but that is the chance you take using ANY product. Not just "bandwagon" stuff.

Janet'

MzMoMo,

Thanks for the honest review. I am so scared of bandwagons. I have heard, seen the topics, and lurked through the Skala threads and I have been tempted (as I did join the Juice Challenge) but for some reason, I held off on Skala. I am sorry that your beautiful head of hair suffered in the meantime. This is another classic case of what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. I was also very interested in doing a BKT (I even bought some off of E-Bay) in preperation-but I have decided against even that. I'm trying to keep it simple, but Mz. Mo, I understand because how much more simple can you get with a conditioner...Your hair will definitely recover! Thanks for posting this and reinforcing my decision!

NikkiGirl

I am sorry this happened to you, but this is why I stick to what I know and not what everyone else is raving about. My hair likes natural simple products, so does my skin and I found that out that hard way and I stick with that. But I still think your hair is very beautiful.

simplyhair

Sorry to hear about that OP. I tried the Ceramide one and did not have successful results either. I did not lose a lot of hair...it just did not have any slip. I couldn't see any benefits.

biancaelyse

OP,

I'm sorry that this happened to you. Everything won't work for everyone and it takes both positive and negative feedback to get the big picture.

I am a bit of a product junkie and have hopped on a bandwagon or 2 but I always take note of what works for me and make no apologies about dropping what doesn't work for me, even if it does wonders for others and they rave about it.

For example, I can't do juice because it just makes my hair sticky, coated and frizzy with no feeling of moisture. Skala happens to work great for me and my kids and we've had less shedding but I appreciate your honesty.

Happy Growing!

beans4reezy

Wow. Thank you for creating this thread. I've seen a lot of Skala threads open recently- but this just goes to show the downside of jumping on bandwagons.

BoaterGirlKim

So sorry you had this experience and thank you for sharing. I had made up my mind to let the Skala parade pass me by as some of the products like the masks sounded too thick or too protein-laden for my hair. My thin, relaxed strands aren't very strong and it doesn't take much to set me back. You still have a beautiful head of hair and I'm sure your tried-and-true staples and reggie will have you restored in no time.

Muse

Sorry Momo for getting off topic.

I hear a some of you refer to this Skala stuff as a bandwagon. What makes a bandwagon a bandwagon? I see lots of raves and recommendations for products but I don't necessarily hear them referred to as a bandwagon. Lots of Qhemet threads, is that a bandwagon? Do you have to have so many pages in the thread to get to "bandwagon" status? Are all products raves that find themselves with more than a handful of followers bandwagons?