My Sister's COTTONBALL!

Melody.Monroe

I convinced my older sister to go natural with me! She said no for like EVER! My sisters hair is DENSE and thick. One strand of hers it two strands of mine and she has actually more hairs per square inch on her head. You part her hair and the part disappears! Its LUSH! In my opinion but it is course and kinky. :lick:

I was over there this mornting (in my Madea voice) and she was telling me that she doesn't think she could do the "Natural Thing". I said "Girl BYE! Why not?" She then told me that she was washing her hair the other day in the shower and she felt like she was washing a GIANT COTTON BALL! We both started busting out laughing because all I could imagine was a Black cotton ball sitting on her head filled with bubbles! But I have a vivid imagination. she proceeded to show me what she had to do in order to wash it thoroughly - seprate her hair into TINY sections because it was so tangled and matted! My sister is DRAMATIC so it was like she was putting on a play! The whole thing had me ROLLING!

I told her how I was my hair - in 4 sections, under the water stream, with my Tangle Teezer (Holy Grail for detangling #POW!) Of course with products of choice. She said she needed something!

How do y'all tame your COTTONBALL?

I can't answer your question but have you directed her to LHCF? There are tons of lush naturals that she can look to for advice, comfort, and inspiration. She can even go in the RT thread and share her dramatic thoughts there too! :grin:

I make sure that I use shampooes that soften my hair and don't strip them. I'm not a cowasher. And if I find that the shampoo causes my hair to shrink/get wiry/matted/tangled, I will apply conditioner over the shampoo before rinsing it out to combat the effect. I will also prepoo my hair if my hair feels too dry before shampooing.

Generally, I make sure that my hair keeps the moisture in each step and eliminate products that strip moisture from my hair. To me each step should feel good. If it doesn't the product is the wrong product for me.

Aireen: Girl I REFER everyone and their momma to this site! They think I'm speaking another language when I start talking about hair! LOL! I be going IN! And I be like go to LHCF! Because they have ALL the answers! :)

She should wash her hair in twists or braids instead of loose sections. My hair shrinks up like mad when soaking wet and no amount of slippery conditioner is going to help prevent tangles and SSKs. I now detangle after my pre-poo, braid or twist my hair, and then shampoo and condition. Now I don't have any tangles and SSKs from washing my hair every week.

I rarely Shampoo, as most shampoos strip my hair, even when I water it down. Only if I end up getting a ridiculous amount of build up will I shampoo...Otherwise I co-wash and that'll do it.

Section hair off either in twists or braids and tie them off at the ends.
Wet hair, work conditioner through it and let it sit for the recommended time on the bottle.
Rinse.
Detangling is a non-issue due to this method (thank you Nonie).
Each section after untwisting/braiding is sprayed with a leave-in, Care Free Curl (I've switchd from S-Curl) and some ORS Olive and a tiny bit of Eco Styler. Run my fake Denman thru it - Give it a shake and pull it into a curly puff. Its my staple style :)

Cotton ball? I have a muthafudging cotton plantation on my head.

I section my hair in 6 sections, use a non-sulfate shampoo, condition it. When I come out, I'm still in 6 sections. I use a creamy leave in conditioner and plop it on my hair and then comb through it section by section with a large tooth comb. It's not the quickest method, but it works.

Back