My oil rinse left my hair greasy

krissynick

hey guys

i did an oil rinse yesterday and i tried to rinse the oil out my hair really well and when my hair was finish it was so oily it was crazy ugly.... was i supose to wash with shampoo after i do my oil rinse? cause it was really bad....

No you don't shampoo after the oil rinse, but you should use really warm water to rinse it all out. You conditioned after the oil rinse?

What kind of oil did you use and did you do it BEFORE you shampooed or did you do it AFTER and then applied conditioner, rinsed, etc. What was your method and how much oil did u put in your hair?

yea i think i used warm water to rinse... it was vitamin e oil and then...i put some A0 honeysuckle and rose on it afterwards.

Yeah, I was gonna ask what oil you used too. After you leave the oil in, you conditioning your hair, but I foung that it works best with a rich creamy condish like Treseme or Suave Humectant... not a cheapie condish like V05.

it left mine greasy too:nono: i tried castor oil and coconut oil. i will not be doing this again. It's just not for everyone...(btw i rinsed and rinsed and rinsed)

I see there are different ways to "oil rinse." I use coconut oil & I work it through my hair right before I'm about to get out of the shower. Then I rinse with the coolest water I can stand. Sometimes if I'm too heavy handed, my hair will drip oil just like a jheri curl. :perplexed

oil rinses don't work for me. i tried both extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil, and it left my hair waaay too greasy. even after i rinsed the oil out. and olive oil makes my hair stinky, so i quit.

I had the same problem. I use evoo the first time and my hair was crazy oily. This time I tried a different way. I oil rinsed first, detangled and all that good stuff, then I clarified with acv, shampoo'd and conditioned as normal. I used a lighter oil too. It dosen't seem to be as oily this time and I still got the benefits of being able to detangle with the oil.

try doing it as a pre-poo instead. i do it like that and it works wonders for me. On dry hair, I deep condition and SATURATE my hair with Vatika oil, put on a plastic conditioning cap, and sit under the dryer for 10 to 15 minutes. Thn I rinse it out in the shower, shampoo, and move on to my airdrying technique. The result is shiny, soft hair.:grin:

I used sunflower oil in an old conditioner bottle. I had a lot of sunflower oil from oil pulling. I put Trader Joe's conditioner on dry hair and then when I was ready to rinse I poured the oil mixed with a little bit of conditioner all over my hair. I detangled wonderfully in the shower. I had my twists in for three months so I really appreciated that oil rinse.

The next day my neck did have oil on it, however, the results are stupendous and worth the extra oil:drunk:

I had the same problem. I use evoo the first time and my hair was crazy oily. This time I tried a different way. I oil rinsed first, detangled and all that good stuff, then I clarified with acv, shampoo'd and conditioned as normal. I used a lighter oil too. It dosen't seem to be as oily this time and I still got the benefits of being able to detangle with the oil.

What she said. :yep: You could also do a baking soda rinse instead of acv. It'll cut even more of the oil.

Mine start out oily sometimes, but it's rare that my hair doesn't soak it up after a couple hours.

it left mine greasy too:nono: i tried castor oil and coconut oil. i will not be doing this again. It's just not for everyone...(btw i rinsed and rinsed and rinsed)

Same here. I'm used to very bouncy hair and therefore the results from the oil rinse were not for me. The hair did not have that swoosh factor that I get leaving the Dominican salons or when I do a good rollerset and root blow out.

If I wear my hair in a twist out or wash n' go style then I will do an oil rinse, but not if I'm wearing it straight.

I was just about to make similar comment to SandB's: don't follow up oil rinses with straight styles if you're relaxed or a fine-haired natural. The only exception might be if you use a very light oil like grapeseed.

I was just about to make similar comment to SandB's: don't follow up oil rinses with straight styles if you're relaxed or a fine-haired natural. The only exception might be if you use a very light oil like grapeseed.

I agree, but if you try it the way I described in my previous post you should be fine. My hair still felt light and fluffy (I did a roller set).

Back