My Maxiglide is in the trash!!

Dearlove

OK, I am done with the maxiglide. I used it as advertised, but it didn't straighten my hair. I used the burst of steam, which I think pulled my coils out. The ceramic coating started to rub off, so some of the pins are bare. I have a solid ceramic jilbere I got from Sally's. It doesn't handle the ends like the maxiglide, but it gets the hair straight.

The last straw was last week. I roller set my daughter's hair in preparation to flat iron. Because of my reservations about the maxiglide, I used the jilbere for the first pass, then the maxiglide for the second pass. I used 5 squirts of redken heat glide over her whole head of hair. I had set it with highly diluted infusium 23 as a setting lotion, but I didn't use any other product.

The jilbere just slid through her hair. The maxiglide started to catch and pull the hair in the teeth. Then it started to smoke!! I only had it on level 3!! When I was done, the maxiglide was full of gunky buildup, but the jilbere was still clean.

I think the maxiglide is a great concept, but Maxius needs to refine his technology so that the tool is more effective!!

brickhouse

I am sorry to hear that. I used my Maxiglide a couple of weeks ago and I got great results. That was my first time using it this year. I notice that my coating is coming off as well. I will probably get a sedu or solia the next time.

Andreainnis

I was just about to purchase a maxiglide but now I don't know what to do:confused: Sylver, did yours chip and peel like the other girls? Is everyone having that experience?

Peachtree

I think ur the 1st person (I've come across) who didn't have a good experience with Maxiglide. I'm glad ur Jibere is working for u :)

Divine Inspiration

I TOTALLY agree with you. You're not the only one who feels this way. There are a lot of other members who were less than impressed with the MG.

I had similar issues...it just didn't get my hair straight. I was prepared to deal with the bulk and all of that, but my hair was SO poofy anf frizzy when I used it.

I have a Jilbere as well and love it. :D

blue_flower

That's too bad the Maxiglide didn't work out for you. I've had mine for 2 years and I love it. I don't use it all the time, and I switch the plates from time to time, so they haven't worn out yet.

sylver2

Andreainnis said:
I was just about to purchase a maxiglide but now I don't know what to do:confused: Sylver, did yours chip and peel like the other girls? Is everyone having that experience?

No, mine is still like new and had it for almost 2 years now. I only use it with the teeth. i never use the plates.

sareca

I love mine, but it leaks boiling hot water while I'm using it. I've only had it a year and only used it 10X. :(

ETA: For all the people that say it smokes, mine did that too. I took the plate off and cleaned it. That did the trick.

Last edited:

CurleeDST

I have the maxiglide and love it. I do not apply too many products to my hair first, I detangle with a rattail comb first to get through any tangles or snarls. Never use the maxiglide to detangle hair.

I never noticed any smoking or funky smell coming from the iron. I have had mine for 2 years purchased at Bed, Bath and Beyond with my 20% off coupon.

Make sure to fill the reservoir with distilled water to preserve the life of the appliance and I would clean the cooled off plates after each and every use to keep it clean and remove any potential product build up.

My glide works like a charm.

CurleeDST

I purchased my Maxiglide from Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon and it is like new. I have had it for about 2 years as well, only use it with the teeth and have had no problem with smoking, funky smells or chipping.

I also don't put too many products in my hair prior to straightening and I go through the 1-inch piece I am about to straighten with a rattail comb to get through any tangles first before applying the Maxiglide. Last tip, unlike other flat irons, you do not have to tighten the Maxiglide while gliding it over the piece of hair because it doesn't need it and it increases chances of snagging and pulling the hair. Simply close the Maxiglide so the teeth touch and lightly glide it down the hair strands.

Will get the hair bone straight with minimal effort. Also, when filling the reservoir with water - use distilled water as instructed vs. tap water as that may contribute to the smoking or funny smell.

The Girl

sylver2 said:
Sorry u had bad results....I absolutely LOVE my Maxiglide!!
me too. That is too bad. I went from the Jilbere to the MG and havent turned back. I keep it for back up and I had recently bought it.

stargazer613

Dearlove said:
OK, I am done with the maxiglide. I used it as advertised, but it didn't straighten my hair. I used the burst of steam, which I think pulled my coils out. The ceramic coating started to rub off, so some of the pins are bare. I have a solid ceramic jilbere I got from Sally's. It doesn't handle the ends like the maxiglide, but it gets the hair straight.

The last straw was last week. I roller set my daughter's hair in preparation to flat iron. Because of my reservations about the maxiglide, I used the jilbere for the first pass, then the maxiglide for the second pass. I used 5 squirts of redken heat glide over her whole head of hair. I had set it with highly diluted infusium 23 as a setting lotion, but I didn't use any other product.

The jilbere just slid through her hair. The maxiglide started to catch and pull the hair in the teeth. Then it started to smoke!! I only had it on level 3!! When I was done, the maxiglide was full of gunky buildup, but the jilbere was still clean.

I think the maxiglide is a great concept, but Maxius needs to refine his technology so that the tool is more effective!!

You're not the only one. Sadly, it didn't work for me either.:ohwell: I'm actually hoping to sell it. I will stick to my beloved Solia:D

Dearlove

Whew!! Thanks, ladies! I thought I was losing my mind because I so wanted it to work. I don't know about the smoking thing, though...I cleaned the plates on both irons before I started and only used minimal product. Oh, well...when Maxius comes out with a refined model I might look at it again.

CurleeDST

Ya know everything can't work for everyone. Sounds like you gave it the good college try. LOL Perhaps you can return it and report the device faulty and get a full refund.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
My hair didn't like the Maxiglide either. I tried it back in late'04/early'05 when I was transitioning from relaxed to natural. It was too big to handle. It also didn't get my new growth straight, it only straightened the relaxed ends and it was smoking after I ran it through my hair. So I sold it!!! :woot:

I have the Jilbere flat-iron and have used it once on my natural hair. I like it and it doesn't smoke or damage my hair. Ít does a pretty good job at straightening my hair.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
CurleeDST said:
Ya know everything can't work for everyone. Sounds like you gave it the good college try. LOL Perhaps you can return it and report the device faulty and get a full refund.
I agree! Or at least try to sell it like I did!!! :yep:

GlamourGirl

Divine Inspiration said:
I TOTALLY agree with you. You're not the only one who feels this way. There are a lot of other members who were less than impressed with the MG.

I had similar issues...it just didn't get my hair straight. I was prepared to deal with the bulk and all of that, but my hair was SO poofy anf frizzy when I used it.

I have a Jilbere as well and love it. :D

ITA...Maxiglide and my hair do NOT mix:nono:...I felt like it did nothing for my hair...I got my money back in a hurry...but I am glad it works for some of the other ladies:).

You are not alone. My MaxiGlide was such a disappointment. The steam burst makes so much sense, and I followed the instructions, but for some reason my hair looks more like a big blow out,even at the highest temperature. I usually try to flatiron after roller setting. The roller set comes out ok for natural hair, but the Maxi Glide afterwards just makes the hair look like I just ran a blowdryer with comb through my hair. Have given up. Jilbere looks more promising.