Are there any ceramic irons that DON'T rip out your hair?? DANG!!!

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I purchased a Jilbere ceramic iron recently and I took it RIGHT back the next day. That joker ripped the *(&(&^^&) out of my hair! I could not believe it! I've been eyeing that Maxiglide for a while,but it is a lot of money. Do you ladies have any suggestions?

so1913

Wow, that sucks!

Well, it's a little up there in price, but my Chi flat iron runs through my hair sooo smoothly, no snagging.

curlilocs

I have a Curlmaster. It didn't snag. The key is smaller sections. I do plan to invest in a high end iron though. I want a Solano Sapphire.

deedabug

curlilocs said:
I have a Curlmaster. It didn't snag. The key is smaller sections. I do plan to invest in a high end iron though. I want a Solano Sapphire.

i was just about to say that...when tryna hurry up and puttin in big sections even on a 1 inch iron i got snaggin...

Shatani

i love my maxiglide!!!! but you cant mess around with those teeth...you have to really detangle your hair or it will get ripped right out! and you should definitely use smaller sections with the maxiglide....

kristina

Shatani said:
i love my maxiglide!!!! but you cant mess around with those teeth...you have to really detangle your hair or it will get ripped right out! and you should definitely use smaller sections with the maxiglide....

what she said. the maxiglide pins don't play.

CookieLAD

kristina said:
what she said. the maxiglide pins don't play.

Just a thought...the Maxiglide also comes with an interchangeable plate without pins. I've never tried mine, so I'm not sure how well it works.

aileendq

T3 Tourmaline all the way. I just gave away all my other flatirons (all 7 of them!! Yikes!) Some were high end and some weren't. Between the fact that the T3 doesn't rip my hair out and the fact that it leaves my hair in better conditon than any other I've tried, the others had to go....

Also, make sure the width of the section of hair is no more wider than 1 inch less than the plates on the iron. This helps some with cheaper irons. Good luck!

Cheleigh

Bublnbrnsuga said:
I purchased a Jilbere ceramic iron recently and I took it RIGHT back the next day. That joker ripped the *(&(&^^&) out of my hair! I could not believe it! I've been eyeing that Maxiglide for a while,but it is a lot of money. Do you ladies have any suggestions?

Sorry the Jilbere didn't work for you. I have one, and it hasn't ripped out my hair, thank goodness. I flat ironed in very small sections (I think I have either the 1/2" or 3/4") and had the heat down low on the dial.

I've heard good things about the Sedu, the Chi, and the Hai.

Tru_Mind

I had a Jilbere once upon a time...it did the same thing to my hair. I found hair laying between the plates, however, I did get shine...but it eventually dried my hair out. That's why I bought a real ceramic iron. From what I heard Jilbere and some others or coated...they are not real ceramic irons. When you get a real ceramic you will see the difference. Many think that they have a real ceramic...but they do not.

-tru

Last edited:

Lucia

Shatani said:
ITA, but it gets the job done in 30 mins even if you have longer or thicker hair.I esp. like the steam feature cause it seems like there's a little less damage than just heating the hair up to the max to straighten.

Angelicus

I have never had a problem with my CHI. I use small sections. It takes well over an hour to do all of my new growth.

kristina

Lucia said:
ITA, but it gets the job done in 30 mins even if you have longer or thicker hair.I esp. like the steam feature cause it seems like there's a little less damage than just heating the hair up to the max to straighten.

I love my maxiglide but I beg to differ- it takes me at least 2 hours and sometimes 2.5 hours. I only need one pass but I make really small sections.

Shatani

kristina said:
I love my maxiglide but I beg to differ- it takes me at least 2 hours and sometimes 2.5 hours. I only need one pass but I make really small sections.
im somewhere in the middle....it takes me 1 to 1.5 hours to do my whole head....i also only need one pass, but my sections arent super small....and also this is the first flat iron ive ever owned and the first time my hair as ever even seen a flat iron, so i still count this as my practicing phase...

vickyd

SEDU! SEDU! SEDU! I own one and one of the things about it that I love is the fact of NO snags. Check out folica.com for reviews. In fact, they have reviews on a wide variety of flat irons. HTH :)

H

honey_jammz82

vickyd said:
SEDU! SEDU! SEDU! I own one and one of the things about it that I love is the fact of NO snags. Check out folica.com for reviews. In fact, they have reviews on a wide variety of flat irons. HTH :)

ITA, this iron is well worth the money...I love mine!

aqualung

My Rusk Str8 iron has 0.5 inch plates, and they don't pull my hair. They heat up fast (less than 30 seconds). I only ever use the iron after rollersetting, so my hair is already pretty straight. Also, I only ever do rush jobs with it, not thorough straightening.

tal

When indicating what flat iron you use, please include your hair type as well. Mine is 4a/4b, and I need something that REALLY works. Oh and another thing, how do you tell the real deal as far as if a flat iron is ceramic or not?

Thanks much.

vickyd

tal said:
When indicating what flat iron you use, please include your hair type as well. Mine is 4a/4b, and I need something that REALLY works. Oh and another thing, how do you tell the real deal as far as if a flat iron is ceramic or not?

Thanks much.

I am not really sure of my hair type. I have been told that I am a combination of 2-something and 3-something. The great thing about the Sedu is that it has a temperature control so that you can adjust the heat to whatever temp you need. My sister in law is an all natural press and go girl and I used the Sedu on her hair and she was amazed both at the results and that fact that I didn't take very long to straighten her hair. I would reinterate that you check out folica.com because they have reviews of many of the top flat irons and the reviews often include before and after pics from people with many different hair types. Also, many "ceramic" irons are really just ceramic coated. the Sedu and the T3 are tourmaline irons and the plates are really smooth. The Sedu heats up in less than 25 seconds. I don't mean to sound like an add, but I like mine. I hope this helps and I didn't mean to be so long winded. :)

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Thanks for all of your responses, ladies. Looks like I may just go ahead and buy a marcel flatiron and get the hookup in mama's kitchen...

Tanelions

I love my maxi and like the others have said, you must detangle or the teeth will get you. I have tried the smooth plate before too,me likey. It may take me time to finish, but I figure it's worth it.