My Last Relaxer Burned My Scalp Something Fierce!

Afrikaisi

I am done with relaxers! I have said this at least twice, but this time is a keeper. Lately, I have been wearing cornrows for the past month in a half, switching it up with ponytails and buns.

But Anyway, I got a perm put on my head and i even based it myself with petroleum jelly and after not even 7 minutes my scalp was burning. The relaxer hadn't even been applied to my entire head yet. i finally went ahead and washed early. After I finished, washing, conditoning, etc. My scalp was still hurting, not burning, just hurting. Even a few days later, I could feel the scab. then I got scared, like what if I damaged my scalp so much that my hair will never grow again. i am done, this is so damn riduculous to me, I thought to myself. I literally burned the skin on the top of my head, just like I would burn my arm with some fire, it was just a chemical burn, i don't know what the lasting effect is, I am freaking out. I thought about all the times I had burned my scalp prior to this.

I am just mad at myself for being so ignorant for so long. it really doesn't matter to me what type of perm it is, or what process is used. It doesn't matter if I stratched my scalp, just came out of braids or whatever reasons many people have for your scalp burning when applying a relaxer. (I didn't have braids, stratch my scalp, or anything though I follow the guidelines) That is just unnatural, anything that is going to or may burn my scalp period, is not for me! I will not be putting that stuff in my head again. I am going to just make do with what G_d has blessed me with. The End.

LiLi

I am sorry that happened to you. I agree, that any chemical process can cause potential damage.

I used to burn extremely bad and always had burn scabs on my head. It wasn't until I stopped drinking carbonated and acidic drinks a week before I relaxed, did I stop burning.

No matter what you decide, I hope your hair journey is happy.

NYAmicas

Seeker
Sorry to hear that.
Your story reminds me of the "Why Im not going Natural" thread.
I wish you success on whatever hair decision you make!

aloof one

AMEN!

There are some ladies on this board who refuse to admit relaxers arent safe, but ITA with everything you said. I cant wait until I'm completely done with relaxed hair to deal with completely.

I really hope you do continue to transition, GOOD LUCK!

NYLegalNewbie

AMEN!

There are some ladies on this board who refuse to admit relaxers arent safe, but ITA with everything you said. I cant wait until I'm completely done with relaxed hair to deal with completely.

I really hope you do continue to transition, GOOD LUCK!

Relaxers can be used safely, but you're right, they really aren't safe. No chemical process that alters what you naturally have is "good" for your hair. That's why when you have relaxed hair, you've got to be seriously vigilant about it. And not everyone wants to deal with that :nono:

But that's the wonderful thing about Black hair. No matter how you choose to wear it, if you care for it, it looks beautiful :grin:

aloof one

That's why when you have relaxed hair, you've got to be seriously vigilant about it. And not everyone wants to deal with that :nono:

Yea, you are SO right! :yep:thats part of why I hated it. Normal hair doesn't react the same as chemically altered. relaxed or dyed, or relaxed AND dyed hair just isnt natural and is high maintenance to keep up with. Its like its not even hair anymore to me! The stuff dont act right:nono:

I hated knowing I could get burned any time, and I hated knowing I would STILL have to spend hours styling my hair everytime, and there was NOTHING I could do to remedy a bad hair day. With relaxed hair for me... bad hair days are all day affairs :nono: just to fix...

If perms are so permanent, then why do I still have to spend 2 hours straightening (from wash to finish), or 1 hour wrapping, or 2.5 hours rolllersetting, or an entire night/day airdrying just so it can be straight? You cant just wet permed hair and go (at least for me). Only thing permanent about perms is the burns. I might as well be natural and have good looking hair whether I straighten or not! :drunk: cant wait...:rolleyes:

♦K.O♦

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I relax and I have NEVER burned. Trust me, if I ever did, I would stop. :yep:

PinkSkates

Originally posted by al00fone
Yea, you are SO right! :yep:thats part of why I hated it. Normal hair doesn't react the same as chemically altered. relaxed or dyed, or relaxed AND dyed hair just isnt natural and is high maintenance to keep up with. Its like its not even hair anymore to me! The stuff dont act right:nono:

I hated knowing I could get burned any time, and I hated knowing I would STILL have to spend hours styling my hair everytime, and there was NOTHING I could do to remedy a bad hair day. With relaxed hair for me... bad hair days are all day affairs :nono: just to fix...

If perms are so permanent, then why do I still have to spend 2 hours straightening (from wash to finish), or 1 hour wrapping, or 2.5 hours rolllersetting, or an entire night/day airdrying just so it can be straight? You cant just wet permed hair and go (at least for me). Only thing permanent about perms is the burns. I might as well be natural and have good looking hair whether I straighten or not! :drunk: cant wait...:rolleyes:

Amen to everything you said here! That was me in the 90's. My relaxed hair totally ruled my life. Telling my bf, oh, I can't go out of town with you to this wonderful place..i gotta get my relaxer touch-up...:wallbash: I am so glad that my hair no longer rules my life. Yes, my natural hair has its ups and downs, but my natural hair is so strong and healthy. And I can make it straight and shiny and bouncy when ever I feel like it with the stroke of my hot comb and Aveda products! I can honestly say I will NEVER put a relaxer in my hair ever again!

DeepBluSea

Please take care of your scalp burn. They really make you think. A member of another site did not even notice the scalp damage until she BC'd. She BC'd by shaving and you could see the toll relaxers had taken on her scalp. Defintely makes you wonder what your scalp really looks like. Good luck on your transition.

aloof one

Please take care of your scalp burn. They really make you think. A member of another site did not even notice the scalp damage until she BC'd. She BC'd by shaving and you could see the toll relaxers had taken on her scalp. Defintely makes you wonder what your scalp really looks like. Good luck on your transition.

:blush:
I had to gasp on that one. I never want to BC for those reasons... people lookin at my scabs and such. :nono:

balisi

Relaxers can be used safely, but you're right, they really aren't safe. No chemical process that alters what you naturally have is "good" for your hair. That's why when you have relaxed hair, you've got to be seriously vigilant about it. And not everyone wants to deal with that :nono:

But that's the wonderful thing about Black hair. No matter how you choose to wear it, if you care for it, it looks beautiful :grin:

ITA with everything you posted. :yep:

Afrikaisi

This is exactly what I am talking about! I am so ready to just cut the lifeless relaxed ends off today. But I think that will be too much of a shock for me. Anyway I try and try to tell my sisters about this, but they are so hooked on the relaxer its ridiculous, so I am done talking to them about it. Something is just not right about relaxers and I just know it. Its sad that they can put this stuff on the market even though they know it is not safe. I mean do we even know the lasting effects of it. When are we as a race of women going to stop letting people do this to us? I am sorry we do it to ourselves, I know. (OK I am getting off of my soap box now.)Arrggghhh!:wallbash:

Afrikaisi

What was the name of the relaxer?

Not being ugly sweetie, but it really doesn't matter, they all have the potential to burn your scalp, due to nature of the chemicals that are inside of ALL of them. :sad:

No one can tell me different.

DarkVictory

So sorry you had such a bad experience! And it's happened before? Grrr!

Wonder if your skin is particularly effected by the ingredients in the relaxer? I believe some people's body chemistry makes them have differing reactions, and that's why some have so much trouble with relaxers burning, under-and-overprocessing, etc., while other ladies use relaxers, look great, and never have any problems.

I have extreme chemical sensitivies, so any kind of relaxer is *right out* for me. Being natural can be as much a health as a style issue.

Good luck to you in your transition. There's always lots of help and encouragement available here on LHCF!

lisana

Not being ugly sweetie, but it really doesn't matter, they all have the potential to burn your scalp, due to nature of the chemicals that are inside of ALL of them. :sad:

No one can tell me different.

Sweetie, that was a legitimate question, and it can matter what type of relaxer you use. If it is one that is not well known, that information could potentially spare some other women from a bad experience. And I'm not trying to tell you anything, I was just asking a question. It is very interesting to me that you got so defensive from such a simple, common question. Very interesting indeed.

growth2come

I am really sorry about your incident with your relax. Your story just reminded about my relaxed days that it brought back the memories of cabbage patches that stuck around for days. To think I was considering relaxing my hair again.:perplexed...I am sorry to read about your story but its just helped me decide on just keeping it natural permanently.

Crown

Transition or big shop, take it one day at a time and enjoy your natural hair growing from your scalp. Don't forget to pamper your scalp, coconut and castor oil are very good for the scalp, and the hair.

NewYorkgyrl

Dag!!! I hope that your skin heals quickly.

People always say oh it depends on eho is doing the relaxer, what kind of relaxer it is, how you aplly the relaxer, etc, etc, etc.
And although that MIGHT be true. I have met MANY peolple that do EVERYTHING right (the same kind of techniques we use on this hairboard) and they still manage to get burned. SO sometimes it is just the relaxer.

I'm sorry you had to experience that.

And if you need any advice if you decide to transition PM me if you need any advice.