my hair wont grow

eve777

i give up,ive tried absolutely everything i can think of and my hair just wont grow, the front is still about a cm and the bak has just broke to match the front.natural was meant to stop all that wasnt it? well i dont know where else to go.i have put it in a weave cus i hate it.i wonder it i try a texturiser whether or no that will work for me.or just cut of this natural disaster.

locabouthair

what is your regimen? what have you tried so far?

please don't give up girl. i have gone through so many obstacles with my hair and im still not giving up.

YoungWavey

Awww hugs ((((you))))...your hair is going to grow...I don't think putting a text in will MAKE your hair grow though...

freshlikemoi

Perhaps you should try the c&g method. Rocking braids or a sewn-in that way your hair can retain the most growth..Don't give up..Also, make sure you take pics...because the pics dont lie.

HHG

candy1214

i give up,ive tried absolutely everything i can think of and my hair just wont grow, the front is still about a cm and the bak has just broke to match the front.natural was meant to stop all that wasnt it? well i dont know where else to go.i have put it in a weave cus i hate it.i wonder it i try a texturiser whether or no that will work for me.or just cut of this natural disaster.

well if you're living it HAS to be growing....how long have you been trying to grow it out? what's your regimine and how are you styling it on a regular basis?

we're all here to help you.

Neala21

Its growing. There's a chance it could be breaking as fast as it is growing. If that happens to be the case you then have to try to narrow it down to what is causing the breaking?

What is regiment? What products do you use?

Evolving78

what have you been doing to your hair to make it not behave? Have you been moisturizing? Do you deep condition your hair? Have you been using heat? You are not using a lot of protein are you? What type of shampoo and conditioner are you using?

BrownSkin2

I see that you are natural and in your profile pic you are wearing a puff/fro. Well, I was never able to retain length that way. If you are wearing like that every day it will be hard to retain length, especially as a 4a/b because it tangles, causes knots and break, as least for me it did. The best way I've been able to retain length is in protective styles (braids, kinky twists, cornrows, singles, etc), and keeping my hair moisturized, and deep conditioning weekly.

chicacanella

Just keep trying. Try to find out why or throw some pencil-sized braids in it and don't forget to moisturize every two days.

I don't want to tell you to quit cause it seems that you really want help.

betty-boo

Hello! You're from the UK!!! Please don't give up! I know it seems hard, but you really need to answer the questions that have been people here are asking. Only then would you know whether what you're doing is wrong or right.
Hair is hair. It is going to grow. The only reason it would 'seem' like it won't is if we're doing something that is not helpful for it.

Moroni

Hey, Eve, I'm sure a lot of ladies on this forum has felt the same way at one time or another. The good thing about it, though, is that we truly care about each other's hair, and we'll help as much as we can.

Are you on any medication? What foods are you eating? Any supplements? Are you drinking enough water? Hair grows from the inside out, so if you're taking care of the outside, let's take a look at the inside.

sikora

Hey Eve I know EXACTLY what you're going through. My hair did the same thing to me for like the past year and a half. My growth was extremely slow (1/8 to 1/4" a month) and I was very annoyed at the lack of progress. Do you take vitamins? That helped me a lot. I actually got 1/2" per month from July to September.

santia

Awww, I hate to hear that your going through this, but please DON'T GIVE UP. I know for sure that there are some members here who can help you solidify a routine. Have you read the hair articles from Sistaslick. I'm telling you her articles help you get inside the mind of our scalps & hair strands.

locabouthair

Awww, I hate to hear that your going through this, but please DON'T GIVE UP. I know for sure that there are some members here who can help you solidify a routine. Have you read the hair articles from Sistaslick. I'm telling you her articles help you get inside the mind of our scalps & hair strands.

I agree.:yep:

I think everyone should read her articles.

*Muffin*

Aww...It'll be okay :Rose:. I don't know what your hair care routine is exactly, but here are some tips that may help stop breakage (because your hair most definitely is growing, but it's probably breaking at a faster rate than it is growing.)

1. Try not to brush your hair-Brushing breaks off a lot of hair, especially if it's already fragile.

2. Try detangling your hair with a wide-toothed comb while it's wet with conditioner in it. This will reduce breakage.

3. Restrict heat styling to once a week or longer

4. Deep condition every week

5. Use a leave-in conditioner every day.

6. Do scalp massages at night.

7. Sleep with a satin sleep cat or on a satin pillow case

8. If your hair is brittle, try doing a protein treatment. If you already do protein treatments, consider whether your hair is getting too much protein. This can also lead to breakage.

9. If you shampoo your hair, dilute your shampoos so that they aren't as drying.

10. Also make sure you are getting adequate nutrition each day. Consider taking a multivitamin or increasing fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains in your diet. And of course get at least 6-8 hours of sleep, and drink plenty of water.

I hope that I helped. Forgive me if I'm just repeating stuff you already know :eek:.

Last edited:

santia

I agree.:yep:

I think everyone should read her articles.

Honestly, It should be mandatory. When I thought I was doing the right things b/c I was reading and doing what everyone was agreeing on I was like "Oh ok" but when I started to read those articles, it was like I saw the light. I reconstructed my whole routine, realizing that my routine needs to be simple. 1 Moisturing shampoo, 1 moisturizing conditioner, 1 leave in and 1 creme for moisture (which I haven't really found yet) & daily am/pm scalp massages. Anything else is just for rotation and depending on what my hair is asking for.

eve777

oh my word....what a response, im sorry for delay,this as made me really see how many people care about little bitty me hair,woowwww.thankyou soooo much.
i have a really busy life at the moment because im on my final year doing a degree and i work part time to so my apologies for late reply.

i have my hair in a sew in weave to retain length and moisturise it every 2day with mango butter, when not in weave ive been using pretty much every advice possible, s-curl,mango butter,castor oil, and more recently aveda products. but my hair is really porous and absorbs everything and remains unruly. i really wish i knew how to grow it.it has so different lengths going on. the only place that appears to grow a little is the sides at the back.i use a moisturing shampoo,deep conditioner and protein conditioner every week when not in weave.
i take vitamins, flaxeed,biotin vitamin B50 and beta carotene.
i dont drink much water to be honest,it make me feel water logged and sick urgh.
i take medication for natural shakes cus my mom carried me with bad nerves and we shake a bit, i hate it.bad nerves.
errrr what else...i dont have a regime for weave so let me know if i should. i cant manage my hair when loose so ive been weaving it as i have no other option.the back broke off when putting in a phony pony and it wasnt tight either cus that gives me head ache. i really dont know what im doin wrong or right .thats why i join up i thought this might set me straight and ive been braving it out without any joy,so now im here on my knees.

hothair

Eve I'm in a full weave cause I'm on the HYH challenge I use a modified C&G (Crown and Glory method)www.growafrohairlong.com, I use an applicator bottle for everything. So once a week, on dry hair I put my DC conditioner (I alternate protein and moisture) in the bottle dilute a tiny bit and aim towards my scalp (where my hair is) I put on a shopping bag and leave it at least 30-1 hour then rinse with the shower head, I then dilute some acv in a bottle and rinse my scalp then use a cheapie conditioner on the extension itself rinse and put a towel round my neck and let it dry (its curly) with straight hair just rinse out and you can blow dry the extension just be sure to leave it down so the weft dries!

Every other day I put my moisture mix in an applicator bottle and aim for my hair close to the scalp. (you have to use liquids (try braid spray and infusium) to make sure it gets to your own hair) I use a sulphur MN mix on my scalp daily. My hair has done well with this regimen and its pretty easy. The ACV helps my cuticles lay flat, I colour - so should help lower your hair's porosity. You need to have a set regimen and stick to it come rain or highwater!. Check out my fotki journal if you like...

Last edited:

eve777

thank you for tip,does that mean i need to put water in between weaved hair? oh this is so hard.i have to look at beautiful hair when mine is so awful, i have to weave it to escape from its awfulness
:cry3:

Eve,

I'm' glad you posted this. I am getting a lot of good hints. I'm going to start a regimen this weekend. I BC'ed in July after going back and forth on whether or not I wanted to be natural. I decided after my "HD" set me up with a horrible cut and color, that I had to correct. I have been "protective styling" the horrible way. Throwing on a wig or a weave without taking care of my real hair. Now I'm going to start my regimen and take some of these health tips away and hope for more noticeable growth and management. Time to stop being lazy!! I hope I can get it good enough to where I can wear my own natural hair, no more wigs. I'm ready to be me NATURALLY!

betty-boo

Hello Eve, I'm glad you came back! I was beginning to think that you'd gone left us!
What the girls here have said is good advice. If you want to use weaves and wigs etc., you have to follow a very specific regimen for this. The crown and glory technique is good for this.

Because I'm worried that my treatments would not penetrate to my actual hair, I have chose not to go down the weave and wig route. That combined with laziness, because it just seems like you have to put more effort into it, detangling etc., imho.

If you are brave and want to be able to wear your own hair, you can do like what I did. When I first started, my hair was in very, very bad condition, so I would french roll it and wear braidouts, in a way which hid the damage, rather than weaving etc. By the end of that year, and with doing good hair practices, I was able to cut off all the bad hair and wear a chin-length bob that had been growing throughout the year.

You can do this by putting your hair in a style that would mask the damage.

hothair

thank you for tip,does that mean i need to put water in between weaved hair? oh this is so hard.i have to look at beautiful hair when mine is so awful, i have to weave it to escape from its awfulness
:cry3:

:yep: Yup nothing worth having comes easy, most of the ladies with long hair work at it, once you change your mindset its pretty straight forward, you can do the wash and DC once every 2 weeks but you must moisturise your own hair braid spray and infusium is a good mix.

tt8

Be careful of how often you wear the weave and especially careful if you are not putting moisture in your own hair! My weave broke off my front edges so terrible cause I did it so often. The weave can make the hair brittle if you are braiding your own hair with synthetic hair and attaching the extensions...this can break the hair shaft b/c its so dry, causing you to lose length. Treat the extensions as an extension of your hair minus applying oil directly onto it. do that to your own hair and scalp with little bottle with small nozzle top that you can squeeze product out of in small areas. Research if you can take vitamins with your medication. You have to drink water because it helps flush out your medicine and helps keep your scalp moist from the inside out. Try drinking a glass per meal for starts. and then work your way up.

Believe me I just stared to drink plenty of water cause I force myself to by not having anything else to drink in my house... hope this helped!!

Isis

oh my word....what a response, im sorry for delay,this as made me really see how many people care about little bitty me hair,woowwww.thankyou soooo much.
i have a really busy life at the moment because im on my final year doing a degree and i work part time to so my apologies for late reply.

i have my hair in a sew in weave to retain length and moisturise it every 2day with mango butter, when not in weave ive been using pretty much every advice possible, s-curl,mango butter,castor oil, and more recently aveda products. but my hair is really porous and absorbs everything and remains unruly. i really wish i knew how to grow it.it has so different lengths going on. the only place that appears to grow a little is the sides at the back.i use a moisturing shampoo,deep conditioner and protein conditioner every week when not in weave.
i take vitamins, flaxeed,biotin vitamin B50 and beta carotene.
i dont drink much water to be honest,it make me feel water logged and sick urgh.
i take medication for natural shakes cus my mom carried me with bad nerves and we shake a bit, i hate it.bad nerves.
errrr what else...i dont have a regime for weave so let me know if i should. i cant manage my hair when loose so ive been weaving it as i have no other option.the back broke off when putting in a phony pony and it wasnt tight either cus that gives me head ache. i really dont know what im doin wrong or right .thats why i join up i thought this might set me straight and ive been braving it out without any joy,so now im here on my knees.
You may want to check with a nutritionist (and your doctor) about anemia. Vitamin B12 is essential and a severe defiency can cause nerve conditions like you described. There are many kinds of anemia and some lead to hair breakage, meaning iron supplements must be taken to increase red blood cells. It's best to check with a doctor first though.

eve777

thankyou for the tips, its nice to know im not alone in this problem,im going to do the crown and glory regime whilst im in a weave and then i will really try hard with my own hair by the end of the month. so i take it that no one will recommend that i texturise my hair? oh well lets see what happens...watch this space.ill do pics when i get a camera.