My Hair is acting up & im so depressed

aikaa71

Im so depressed, I almost called in sick today. I have been crying , not only is my hair acting up, I cant seem to post a message on the forum today.

My hair is shedding and I dont like it. This started since the 2nd week of January , when I got back to work from 4 weeks leave. I attributed the shedding to the airconditioning and dry air in the office. I then started on the motions CPR 32 days anti breakage treatment. (where you use the motions CPR as in a condition wash). I dont see any change and I think im now shedding more. Im using the CPR, then doing an ACV rinse,(comb thru with wide tooth comb to detangle- I get some shedding here which I can live with), rinsing with water, wet set (use ORS carrot oil and breakthrough foam wrap before rolling). I use magnetic rollers(with snap ons). Dry under hooded dryer, when dry and after removing the rollers, I use the Hollywood beauty carrot oil(liquid) and Profectiv root health cream on my roots before I comb out the curls with a wide tooth comb. Then I see those 10 to 12 hairs on my comb ( I hate this). Every day I use the HB carrot oil before I comb thru and im still get shedding AND my ends are dry. What im I doing wrong???

Im taking my vitamins and eating healthy. I treat my hair so gently and its not appreciating me at the moment. Is this shedding normal or am I just paranoid. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

My last touch up was on 27th Dec 2002 with Motions Reg, the relaxer did not take and im thinking this could be the cause of my breakage? I want to switch to another lye relaxer but since I dont live in the States or UK, I can not get Affirm or Eluence relaxers. The only lye relaxers I have seen here are Revlon, Revlon Arosci, TCB , Optimum(has anyone use the lye one) and African Pride. I need recommendations on any of these, please. Im currently on week 5, and im trying to stretch to week 8, before I do my touch up on 21st Feb.

My hair is fine (with coarse new growth) I cannot afford to be losing hair. Its just about chin length in the front and an inch off the base of my neck at the back. I want long hair and looking at all the pictures of the women on this forum with thick hair is just adding insult to ingury (I do not mean to offend anyone- im so jealous of thick hair. sweetcocoa, Adrienne I wish god had given me some of your hair.)

Help me please.

Nubianrose

GIRLLLL, is ALL you're seeing 10-12 hairs in your comb? if it is, you should be thankful. The normal amount of hair to lose Per day is 50-100 or more. Just be thankful and don't worry too much about your hair, stress causes bad effects on your hair as well /images/graemlins/drunk.gif, hope i help make you feel a little bit better.
Nubianrose

Integrity

try NOT to comb your hair every single day if you can cos if the strands are weak they will surely break! continue with washing and deep conditioning twice a week with a mild protein deep cond. to strengthen your hair, along with intensive hot oil treatments to lubricate the dry hair shaft. also, please get yourself some world of curl activator and treat your hair and ends to them and that will take care of the dryness. i promise!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

Hi Aikaa71,

Currently, I use the Optimum Rx lye relaxer and it's fine. If your hair is shedding, that's part of the normal life cycle of your hair. I hate to see my hair shedding too, but there's not much you can do about it. The average person sheds 50-100 hairs a day. Keep taking your vitamins. I have fine hair too and I do understand the feeling that every single hair counts. It's o.k girl. You seem to be handling your hair just fine. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LondonDiva

10-12 hairs on your comb. Girl you have nothing to worry about. You hair is doing better than the average recommended daily shed hairs. You're probably actually doing VERY well and not as bad as you think. Try to cheer up luv, I'm having a VERY bad day myself and can totally sympathise.

Robin41

Although I understand how you feel, don't cry over your hair. I think we all go through cycles where we experience more breakage than usual and get all upset and then things just balance out. So believe me, I'm not making light of your situation but I don't want to think you're somewhere crying and not going in to work because of your hair.

Try protective styles for a while so you're not constantly checking it or thinking about it. When my hair begins to act up, it gets braided or ponytailed or bunned or whatever until it decides to act right. You've got to give it a "time out" before it behaves. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Nyambura

surfer girl
Hi Aikaa,
I agree with everything Robin said. Hair obsession can drive you crazy if you let it. When my hair starts acting up, I put in a protective style. I don't know where you live, but if it's cold you might try substantially increasing the amount of moisture you put into your hair. Where I live, sub-zero (Farenheit) temperatures /images/graemlins/shocked.gif for months are not uncommon during winter. Because I have relaxed, color-treated hair I've found that I can't slack off on the hot oil treatments or on moisturizing my hair throughout the day. Curl activator and creamy leave-ins have helped keep my hair from snapping off in the icy, -6 to -12 degree days.
Good luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

honeycomb719

I wish that was all I was losing per day. I'm at 50 or so per day. I just try not to comb my hair everyday, but I do feel your pain. I hate seeing hair in the comb everyday too /images/graemlins/mad.gif But, I try to keep my focus and hope the next day will be better. So, lighting up a bit /images/graemlins/wink.gif Stress just adds to your problems.

Armyqt

Hey Aikaa, take it easy on yourself girl. Beleive me, I know how u feel. Sometimes when I see those hairs, I cringe and wanna cry too. But like everyone said, what you have is a normal amount of shedding. I think it is next to impossible to have relaxed hair and not have some type of shedding.

How often do you wash your hair? The water from moisture really helps in maintaining that length. Also I would add a hot oil treatment about 1x per week. Also, CPR is a good protein treatment but many here, including myself, have had great results with ORS Hair Mayo. Maybe you shouldn't do a rollerset everytime you wash your hair. Too much manipulation could cause already weak strand to pop and break. You could just put the wet hair into a ponytail with some good moisturizer and then some oil to seal in the moisture. These are just a few suggestions. I really don't think you have much to worry about though. Let us know how things progress.
Chin up!! (( BIG HUG)) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

leejure

Aikaa!

You are fine, girl!

Hair usually sheds 100 strands a day. Also, we all go thru a shedding hair phase. When you go thru this phase, those shedded hairs are usually replaced by new hairs (I think its every 3-4 years when you go thru the shedding phase...not sure) So, rest assure, all is well. But you do need to eliminate the stress! Okay?!

-lee

moni

Hugs to you Aikaa. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Everything will be fine, you'll see. /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

aikaa71

Hi all,

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

I feel much better today and I have to admit that im getting obsessed with my hair. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I will have to learn to control myself. Im so grateful for all the advice.

I took advantage of my hair situation and went out to the supplies shop. I got
Break thru shampoo & conditioner
Organics leave in liquid mayo
Elasta QP mango butter
Sheabutter(cannot remember the brand, it comes in a metal tin)
Keracare silken seal.

(these will be my last investments until April/May) /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I washed & conditioned my hair last night, with the break thru. Did an ACV rinse, applied the leave in mayo, sprayed a little of the silken seal and wet set. After drying I applied the mango butter to the ends, sprayed some braid spray on the new growth, did a doobie and the covered with a satin scarf.

This morning, after removing the doobie, I had incredibly shiny, fuller hair. I feel good. I have less shedding and my hair smells so nice.

Bless you all.