i am experiencing breakage with my braidout

krissynick

hi guys

last night i braided my entire head... i detangled my dry hair with a wide tooth comb and then i put a lil moisturizer on each end ( profective) and then i braided like four braids in the back and 4 down the side in the front... today when i took it out... i took a wide tooth comb and kinda comb thru it to loosen the curl... it wasnt not hard to comb cause..... i dont have much new growth but alot of loose hairs came out into the sink... i keep coming to see what would happen and the hair stopped coming out... my mother use to say taht sometimes hair has its shedding period... i think she right cause i use to have this problem even before ... i always had a point like in the winter time when my heead just sheds and it the summer it grows like crazy.. what do you think i am taking care of my hair so i dont understand.. im about to do a protein treatment cause i i just want to make sure its not me... and its just hair going thru its changes

West Valley

I have the same problem when I wear braids. I just can't wear them. I would love to put my hair in braids while I am stretching but I am left with bunning. My hair sheds and breaks a lot with braids. At first I thought maybe it was because I was not moisturizing enough but then I would keep them oil and that just sat in my head and would pull out my hair too. I tried to find middle ground but it just never worked. I haven't had them for about 10 years now. It' sad because my DH loves braids. :ohwell:

Traycee

I hope braid-outs aren't causing breakage...I'm addicted to them right now...what is regimen ????
I try not to comb dry hair ...I would never comb a braid-out either. I style with fingers and detangle in shower with conditioner and shower comb

krissynick

I hope braid-outs aren't causing breakage...I'm addicted to them right now...what is regimen ????
I try not to comb dry hair ...I would never comb a braid-out either. I style with fingers and detangle in shower with conditioner and shower comb

well i just wash and dc once a week.. i usally just wear my hair out from a rollerset or on clip up with one of those hair thingys.. thats it... my ends look a bit thin and im not ready to cut them now ... so i want to wear a braid out to disguise it till i figure out what i want to do with it.... i mean i know why its thin at the ends... i had to cut some hair off at the top due to a curling iron incident( dont ask lol) but anyway... thats it.. right now i just pre poo imma wash and it do a protein treatment .... and i hope that helps... tracyeee.. i thikn imma just let it air dry and braid it again and see what happens.. what u think... i cant be bothered with a roller set today

Traycee

well i just wash and dc once a week.. i usally just wear my hair out from a rollerset or on clip up with one of those hair thingys.. thats it... my ends look a bit thin and im not ready to cut them now ... so i want to wear a braid out to disguise it till i figure out what i want to do with it.... i mean i know why its thin at the ends... i had to cut some hair off at the top due to a curling iron incident( dont ask lol) but anyway... thats it.. right now i just pre poo imma wash and it do a protein treatment .... and i hope that helps... tracyeee.. i thikn imma just let it air dry and braid it again and see what happens.. what u think... i cant be bothered with a roller set today

I'd try it again but this time loosen the curls with your fingers..and see if you still get breakage

krissynick

I'd try it again but this time loosen the curls with your fingers..and see if you still get breakage

okay well tracyee tell me what you think about this... i only comb it cause i didnt like it looking so wild so i use my wide tooth comb to tame it down a bit..it wouldnt have worked with my fingers... and also... i have hardly any new growth and my hair flet very m oisturized so do u really thinking combinng with a wide toogh comb... did t.. ? i mean i kinda glad the dead hair felll out but i just dont want it keep on coming out.... imma try and braid it the way you did in your fotki and see what happens.

Traycee

okay well tracyee tell me what you think about this... i only comb it cause i didnt like it looking so wild so i use my wide tooth comb to tame it down a bit..it wouldnt have worked with my fingers... and also... i have hardly any new growth and my hair flet very m oisturized so do u really thinking combinng with a wide toogh comb... did t.. ? i mean i kinda glad the dead hair felll out but i just dont want it keep on coming out.... imma try and braid it the way you did in your fotki and see what happens.

Girl.......I don't know because when I unbraid my hair it is opposite not wild or messy ..just tight curls stuck together that I have to separate by hand...If I combed my braid-out even a little it would frizz up.....

:bump:for more responses

tallygirl

For me, combing a braid-out is a no-no....I just get in the shower and co-wash it out...If I don't wash it out, the breakage will be tremendous.

krissynick

well tally girl i wasnt even going to wash my hair ... i just took out the braid out to see how it would look and i didnt like that it look so wild.. i think its cause i put too many braids.. to defined.. anyway im gonna try again and see what happens

this is what i have done so far?

i prepooo with lustrasilk shea butter and mango... it worked really well
i had hardly no strands come out in the comb when i rinse it out

then i use the keracare hydrating detangling shampooo

then i use some pepperment rinse

now im under the dryer with the aphoghee keratin reconstructor.... about to wash it out... if its still tangly.... imma us ao but it not imma just air dry and style...

should i put some oil in my hair while i let it air dry ...?

Traycee

well tally girl i wasnt even going to wash my hair ... i just took out the braid out to see how it would look and i didnt like that it look so wild.. i think its cause i put too many braids.. to defined.. anyway im gonna try again and see what happens

this is what i have done so far?

i prepooo with lustrasilk shea butter and mango... it worked really well
i had hardly no strands come out in the comb when i rinse it out

then i use the keracare hydrating detangling shampooo

then i use some pepperment rinse

now im under the dryer with the aphoghee keratin reconstructor.... about to wash it out... if its still tangly.... imma us ao but it not imma just air dry and style...

should i put some oil in my hair while i let it air dry ...?

I always airdry with a leave-in and a little coconut oil

SilentRuby

I never had breakage with my braid-outs. I learned from Sylver2 to unbraid the hair with a little moisturizer on your fingers and it kind of defines it. I never comb the braid out. If you don't want it as curly, don't braid it as tight. I also unbraid the braids while the shower is on and the steam gives me the look I want.

betty-boo

Hello! Yes, I used to wear braidouts a lot. I would never comb it out, because this will surely lead to breakage. I agree with Pemuny and Tracee. Make sure the braid isn't braided tight - it has to be loose, and when you take it out, separate each loc with your fingers. You could also try doing double-strand twists instead of braids - they give you a more wavy look.
I hear coconut oil makes it really shiny too!

sylver2

hi guys

last night i braided my entire head... i detangled my dry hair with a wide tooth comb and then i put a lil moisturizer on each end ( profective) and then i braided like four braids in the back and 4 down the side in the front... today when i took it out... i took a wide tooth comb and kinda comb thru it to loosen the curl... it wasnt not hard to comb cause..... i dont have much new growth but alot of loose hairs came out into the sink... i keep coming to see what would happen and the hair stopped coming out... my mother use to say taht sometimes hair has its shedding period... i think she right cause i use to have this problem even before ... i always had a point like in the winter time when my heead just sheds and it the summer it grows like crazy.. what do you think i am taking care of my hair so i dont understand.. im about to do a protein treatment cause i i just want to make sure its not me... and its just hair going thru its changes

yikes..this is something I jus don't do. I do not comb thru my braidouts. I just wait the amount of time for it to loosen. Its going to be tighlty curled at first...but I usuely braid mines very very loose. so its not as tight.
Also the steam from the shower gives me my loose wave look

poookie

Stop combing. If you MUST, make sure it is a shower comb or a bohn comb. :look:

agreed. combing out a braidout, or any kind of style that you "set", either on dry hair or wet hair, can possibly lead to breakage if you're not extremely gentle.

i learned that the hard way, when i tried to comb out an air dried braidout last month :perplexed

krissynick

okay guess i took your advice... excuse me if im sound dumb but i dont understand the reason behind the breakage when i took out my braids the first time it was very soft...... thats why i thought i could comb it.. dont you find that odd that you cant comb it without breakage even with a wide tooth comb... im not gonna do it again.. i cant take the risk but i just want to understand why...

okay yall so i finally finished i braided my hair and let it air dry.... if it dont come out the way i want this time its going up into a pony tail for the rest of the week.. anyway thanks again.