My Great (First) Self-Relaxing Experience! (LONG)

Chichi

Ladies,

I just finished self-relaxing my hair for the very first time and I am very pleased with my results!

I used the whole Affirm Fiberguard system (Mild Lye) and will be sticking to this relaxer and KeraCare products in general. I ordered everything from Sheldeez and it came in less than a week. (I will probably be posting a good review for them in the Vendor Discussion board.)

Things that I had at the ready:
Everything that LondonDiva suggested (see thread below...)

Plus:
digital clock - I wanted to time how much I was taking in each section. My goal was three minutes for each section and I met that.

four baby wipes and four paper towels - for cleaning my fingers as I went along. The baby wipes really came in handy.

separator/butterfly clips - extras just in case I wanted to move hair out of the way while working.

plastic cap - for the step after washing out the relaxer application.

Application process - I used the applicator brush but did not use gloves. I used my hands to feel my way through... after relaxing I just washed with dish detergent and I was good. My hands did not suffer any irritation whatsoever.

I also used my hands to smooth the relaxer.

This is what I did:

Night before, I gently felt my new growth to see how long it was both with shrinkage and stretched out. I decided then how straight I wanted my hair to come out while relaxing the next day.

I first prepped reading LondonDiva's Self-Relaxing Tips. I also read the tips provided to me by Isis and Hiza, so thank you ladies!

1.PARTED hair into relaxable sections (quarters) - I had my Mom do this for me.

2.PREPPED/BASED scalp carefully with Affirm Gentle Assurance Sensitive Scalp Protector (this one actually comes from the regular Affirm relaxer line). I didn't use too much. It came with a spout tip but I mostly used my fingers because I didn't want the tip to touch my scalp. I let this soak in for about 15 mins. or so before the next step. My scalp was feeling goood.

3. APPLIED the Preservo Chemical Block sparingly to my ends and previously relaxed hair. I was nervous about this step and was going to skip it altogether because, being a newbie, I didn't want the Preservo to block any relaxing action at my roots. I ended up applying the Preservo (watery) to each section and then letting it dry before moving on to the next step. I am sooo glad that I did not skip this step... I ended up doing a little overlapping but not too much.

4. APPLIED the Affirm Fiberguard Relaxer (Fiberguard Conditioning Creme Relaxer Mild Lye) – each section took me about three minutes to apply. I smoothed the relaxer for another 11 minutes until I elongated my waves just so (I wasn't going for bone straight at all). The relaxer tub said to use 13 minutes for the application and smoothing but since I have coarse and thick hair, I needed some more time.

5. RINSED relaxer completely out of hair with warm water. I literally spent 15 minutes rinsing making sure that all traces of the relaxer was completely gone. I loved rinsing my hair. My hair felt so strong and it didn't feel limp at all. It is about 70% straight with lots of body

6. APPLIED Sustenance Fortifying Treatment – I liked this. It was very creamy and gave my hair great slip. I put on a very generous amount and was supposed to leave it on for five minutes but left it on for seven under a plastic cap.

7.RINSED OUT Sustenance Fortifying Treatment and...

8. SHAMPOOED with Normalizing Shampoo two times. I liked this shampoo. It did a good job of cleansing my scalp and hair. I used lots of it at the first rinse. It has a color indicator. If the lather is pink that means that you still have relaxer in your hair; white lather means that the relaxer is compltely gone. I called my mother in at this stage and I had white lather at the very first rinse, so I guess I did a good job of rinsing the relaxer out. (Also, you are allowed a maximum of two rinsings with this shampoo so it pays to make sure that you get the relaxer completely out at step 4.)

9. (Optional) DEEP CONDITIONED with KeraCare Humecto Cream Conditioner. This was not in the instructions. I just did not want a shampoo to be my last step. I ended up leaving this conditioner on for 45 minutes (not intentional but my hair is thanking me for it.)

10. (Optional) RINSED finally with distilled water since I suspect that I have hard water.

11. (Optional) Rollerset and dried for 30 minutes. I usually air dry my rollersets but will make an exception when I relax my hair.

I gained approximately 2.5 inches. (I was at 13 weekes post relaxer and usually get an inch a month but slacked off on my vitamins
.) I will probably trim .5 inches in the next month or so in hopes of getting rid of all of my bone straight ends...

All in all, I had a very pleasurable experience - no wait in the salon (the whole process took me less than three hours), got my hair exactly as straight as I want it, and no $80 to pay

Chichi

NYCQT16

Natural Again
Sounds great
..Saving this in my favs so I can refer back cuz I'm thinking of doing my own touch-up next time around

Cowgirl

Sounds like you had this all under control ChiChi. Glad your results came out just as you wanted. I'm switching to Affirm on my next relaxer also and hope my results are as good as yours.

Cinnabuns

Re: My Great (First) Self-Relaxing Experience! (LO

That's wondeful ChiChi
I'm saving this as my favorite also. You can save allot of money from doing your own hair care.
I've been doing it for years

Chichi

Thanks ladies. I am loving the way my hair feels now. It has so much body...and shine, which is kind of surprising because I didn't put a lot of products in it. I still haven't pinned my hair up for the night because I am still playing with it, LOL. I'll still be going to Dominican stylists for a blowout, but that's about it! Feels good...

@Cowgirl, I am sure that you will like the Affirm. It is the only relaxer that I will be using from now on.

Chichi

LABETT

I am glad your first relaxing experience turn out great.
I knew you could do it.
I just did my second relaxer last week and it turn out great
my hair is difinitely thicker and stronger now.
I wish I had started doing my own relaxer sooner.

godzooki

Glad it went great for you! I want to do my own relaxers so bad but I am totally chicken!

dannie

Yipee!!! I'm glad everything worked out good for you on your first time.

zoya_j

chichi i'm glad your hair turned out great. I will be switching to affirm for my next touch up.It's good for me to hair all the positive results with Affirm
I don't have the nerve to do the touch up myself though, way to go

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie

That is great! I relaxed my own hair for 10 years and never had a problem with it. Now if you have to go to the salon for any reason at all, you may start to dread it.. I haven't been in a salon since I was 19

Chichi

[ QUOTE ]
godzooki said:
Glad it went great for you! I want to do my own relaxers so bad but I am totally chicken!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can totally relate to this... I was chicken before I started too

Chichi

Chichi

Thanks again ladies! Oh and did I mention that one of the best parts of self-relaxing is going in to work and not have your freshly relaxed hair scream "RELAXER!!!".

Everytime that I went to a stylist before, my hair would always have that relaxer smell until I washed it. Not this time...

Chichi

(...promising that this will be her last rave LOL; I am just a very happy camper
.)

ubavka123

Yay!!!! I am so happy for you!!! I just had a touch-up with Affirm Fiberguard (normal) for the first time and I LOVE it. I am never going to use another relaxer on my hair! I am glad that you had a good self-relaxing experience!!!! I am sure your hair looks and feels wonderful!

sengschick

The Bun Master

Very nice ChiChi! I just added this thread to my favorites
. I'll be self relaxing soon as well.
Thanks for the tips!!!

J

JenniferMD

That is great!! Looks like you'll be saving lots of money from now on

Chichi

@ ubavka123 - isn't the Fiberguard wonderful? I am not switching even to the regular Affirm. The Fiberguard seems to keep the hair strong while straigthening it.

@ sengschick - you're welcome and good luck to you!

@ JenniferMD - yes, even though the products cost, they will more than pay for themselves after my second retouch.

Chichi

Chichi

[ QUOTE ]
MissJ said:
Congratulations!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank ya!

Chichi

Chichi

[ QUOTE ]
Mamacita said:
What exactly is the Sustenance Fortifying Treament?? And why use this instead of the 5in1. TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that the Sustenance Fortifying Treament is for Affirm Fiberguard and the 5 in 1 is for regular Affirm.

Sustenance Fortifying Treament also doubles up as a deep conditioner so I will be using it for that purpose as well.

Chichi