My First Roller Set

Courtney

Hello Ladies,

Yesterday I did my first, very own roller set! As proud as I was, the results were...well, let's just say practice makes perfect. I know this sounds so Fisher Price of me ("my first roller set", haha) but I want to get some advice on how you ladies do your lovely sets so I can try again tonight. What I did yesterday was I washed and conditioned my hair (which by the way is slightly longer than shoulder length), detangled it with a wide-toothed comb, then distributed TCB Naturals Wrap n' Set lotion on my hair. after that I took 20 rollers (about 8 1 1/4 inch - pink, and the rest 1 inch - green) and rolled my hair. I put the larger pink ones on the bottom and the smaller green ones on the top. I sat under the dryer for about an hour, then I took the rollers out. I then wrapped my hair in a cone, smoothed on some Paul Mitchell foaming pomade, but some neck strips around my hair and sat under the dryer for another 1/2 hour. It came out okay, I guess, but it was to big, had no sheen, had some shake but no slip and by the end of the day today it ended up looking frizzy. My main concerns are:
-should I have put some creme moisturizer on it before I rolled it up
-should I have used a liquid leave in/ setting lotion for my set
-should I the bottom of my hair or the top with the bigger rollers
-and..........how long should I stay under the sryer with it wrapped?

Thank You much ladies...help a sista out!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say to ditch the wrap and setting lotion it always makes my hair crispy, get larger rollers (my hair is your length and I only use the pink rollers for ringlets, this'll make your hair smoother and not so big), I'd use a leave-in as my setting agent or if you want it really sleek and your hair is not really thin you can use WGO, and you shouldn't have to sit under the dryer for another 30 min. with your hair wrapped if your hair is already dry 20 min. should suffice.

HTH
smile.gif

Congratulations on your first roller set. Yes, practice does make perfect. I like to use leave-in conditioners versus setting lotions. Setting lotions always made my hair crisp, and I do not like crisp hair / curls (only soft and bouncy). I only use big rollers because they work best for me (plus I wrap my hair afterwards for a smooth and sleek look).

Allandra, what size rollers do you use? My hair is about shoulder length in the back and layered all the way up to the front which falls to the middle of my cheek. I thought that 1 and 1/2 inch rollers would be good for my relatively short hair, but I'm starting to think they are too small. I was wondering what size everyone uses and how long their hair is?

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra, what size rollers do you use? My hair is about shoulder length in the back and layered all the way up to the front which falls to the middle of my cheek. I thought that 1 and 1/2 inch rollers would be good for my relatively short hair, but I'm starting to think they are too small. I was wondering what size everyone uses and how long their hair is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm not Allandra, but when I got my hair wrapped last time my stylist used all purple rollers, I don't know what the diameter is, but I also use the purple & orange at home.

Man, everyone seems to be using the same size as me so why am I getting crappy results:) I just can't figure out how to comb it with a comb or fingers in order to make it look normal.

I agree with everyone else about ditching the setting/wrapping lotions and instead using a leave in conditioner or some of your moisturizing conditioner as a leave in.

Do the rollars, making sure the hair stays smooth and lies flat against each rollar (make sure hair is very wet to help this). Then dry until completely all hair is dry and wrap afterwards in a satin scarf.

That's it! I use puple rollars for my bangs and the grey ones for everywhere else (the smooth magnetic ones).

Congratulations on your first set! Pretty soon it will feel like second nature.

I agree with everyone on not using a setting lotion. I always ended up with crisy hair too while using them. BTW, if your hair is not 100% dry when you remove the rollers/or remove your wrap, then you will end up with "frizzy" hair. I like to start drying my hair under a dryer. If I airdry, then I can't comb it afterwards.

I apply a quarter size of the John Frieda Texture Correcting Serum to my soaking wet hair. This always gives me a smooth set. Then I apply a nickel size of my creamy leave-in (Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner).

To roll my hair, I first roll down the middle (the mohawk area). I use a rattail comb to part then comb my hair. Pulling the hair forward then rolling always gives me a taut set. Then I clip with the slide metal clips (not the butterfly ones that stick out). The ones that slide into the roller makes life a little bit easier. Then I roll the left side of my hair (rollers facing up) then do the same for my right side.

I used to hate rollersetting my hair, it was such a chore. Now, I could probably do it in 10 minutes and I don't even need a mirror.

For straight look, let your hair dry completely on the rollers, then wrap when your hair has dried. You will get straight hair with bounce.

Check out this site. It really helped me in the beginning:

Roller Setting 101

Roller Setting 101 Illustrations

Good luck!

Chichi
bdance.gif

yeah that tcb lotion has to go cause that has sd alcohol 40 in it and that's not good....

I also think you should use another moisturizer instead of the paul mitchell foaming pomade when you wrap the hair around...that pomade is supposed to use when you want the hair to stay where it is

I agree w/ everyone on the board.
I can attest that practice will make perfect. I get better every wash! Then you will start getting faster....

I don't like setting lotions. I hate that crispy effect also. Put your leave in on then have a spray bottle w/ plain water to keep the hair moist as you set.

When hair is dry, wrap it and go under the dryer for about 15 minutes. Then if you have any oil or gloss that you want to use go for it then.

By the way, I think I bought TCB Wrap and Set lotion and took it back cause it had SD alcohol in it. Try using another type of product like the leave-in as the others mentioned.

Back