First Roller Set--- Suggestions???

frostydoll

Alright, ladies I finally decided to try my first roller set tonight. I bought a hooded dryer and after exchanging it 3 times I finally have a working one lol. I'm going to wash, condition, and roller set my hair this afternoon. After it dries I'm going to brush it out, wrap it and attempt the saran wrap treatment that I keep hearing about. I have gotten a professional roller set before but this will be my first time doing it on my own.

Any suggestions? I'm natural 3b/3c with some 4a.

Wish me luck! And I promise to post pictures once I finish.

ETA: If it looks decent the ATL ladies will see my finished product at the meetup on Saturday.

Last edited:

Daisimae

One tip, make sure your hair is soaking wet and the ends are straight and smoothed onto the roller when you start rolling.

Can't wait to see your pictures!

pmichael52172

Daisimae said:
One tip, make sure your hair is soaking wet and the ends are straight and smoothed onto the roller when you start rolling.

Can't wait to see your pictures!

Yeah, what she said. I usually keep a spray bottle nearby to mist the area that I'm about to roll. I also seal my ends with either some oil type or something before I roll it. I use a shea butter pomade.

That's all I can think of. Sounds like you are on a roll! I wanna see pics when you finish.

bLackButtaFly

I actually did my rollerset on dry stretched hair( i wore buns for a day), and thne just covered my hands with lotta body setting lotion and some hair butter, and slept in them. You could sit under the dryer instead though. I got really good results, they're in the fotki.

My only thing with doing rollersets on wet hair as a natural is my hair didn't hang like I wanted it to. I had one done for my brithday, and s soon as I get home I'm gonna put the pics up, but it was very very tight eventhough she used a medium sized roller. It was more like orpahn annie then kelis in milkshake. I ended up going home and redoing it with a curling iron.

I guess if you've got your new dryer you'll probably wanna use that, so ITA with the other ladies. :look:

Seeking8Rights

UMBlessedBeauty_1 said:
Alright, ladies I finally decided to try my first roller set tonight. I bought a hooded dryer and after exchanging it 3 times I finally have a working one lol. I'm going to wash, condition, and roller set my hair this afternoon. After it dries I'm going to brush it out, wrap it and attempt the saran wrap treatment that I keep hearing about. I have gotten a professional roller set before but this will be my first time doing it on my own.

Any suggestions? I'm natural 3b/3c with some 4a.

Wish me luck! And I promise to post pictures once I finish.

ETA: If it looks decent the ATL ladies will see my finished product at the meetup on Saturday.

To make sure you get bouncy curls, don't use setting lotion. If you do, make sure its diluted like 1-3. What I do is only use water (thanks Mach) and serum like CHI Silk Infusion.

If you want volume, place the roller on top of your hair and roll from the ends down to the root (like from the sky going down). If you want less volume then place the roller underneath your hair and roll downwards from bottom to top (if that makes sense).

Make sure your hair is COMPLETELY dry before taking out the rollers.

To avoid strays, the hair section that your are rolling shouldn't be longer (left to right) than the roller itself. Meaning hair should not be spilling out the sides of the roller.

Have fun and be patient with yourself, as it will take some time. However, once you do it a few times, you will be hooked on rollersetting. My hair actually gets straighter rollersetting than using a flat iron.;)

This makes me just want to have a rollersetting party! :dance7:

frostydoll

Thanks ladies for all your suggestions! I've gotten it rollerset once before professionally and I liked the volume but I think I want to try a sleeker look. Here's a picture from my first rollerset

Hosted on Fotki

There are more in my Fotki, year 2, march 07. She did flat iron my roots to take some of the volume out of the top but i think wrapping and using saran wrap might help me with that.

myco

Don't overload the rollers. It's better to use more rollers than to put too much hair on the rollers.

Don't apply too much product. You can add more, but once it's in your hair - you're stuck. Start with a dime sized amount and work your way up if necessary.

SelfStyled

It looks like your hair has a nice curl pattern so make sure that you roller has good tension so that it will straighten out you hair,not too tight though. Even though I sit under the dryer on the cool setting I do use some heat protectant on my hair. Good Luck!

frostydoll

So I just finished washing and setting it. I'm under the dryer now. It took me about 45 minutes to get all the rollers in. I have a small head and thin hair lol. I used a creamy leave in and a little hair serum on each of the four sections that I seperated my hair into for setting. I guess I'll be under here for about 45 min to an hour that's how long it took my hair to dry when Balisi did it. I've been taking pictures for every step though.

prtybrwnis

Wow! I never knew that you could rollerset Natural hair. I'm a 3b/3c too. I recently relaxed again after being natural only because I like roller sets and it's easier for me. Dang!!!!!!!

frostydoll

Uh oh ladies it's not looking too good. Everything was all fine and dandy until I started brushing to wrap and realized the back was still damp. I'm going to do the plastic wrap for 40 min to an hour hopefully that will help.

frostydoll

Well it didn't turn out the way I thought. I think I'm just going to conditioner wash in the morning and rock my wash n go this weekend. So much for trying something new.

Lesson Learned: Make sure the back of my hair is getting dry. I also need a natural tutorial on doing the silk wrap afterwards.

I'll try this again once I move into my new apartment in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

lisana

If the salon dried your set in an hour then you probably need to go 1.5 to 2 hours especially if you don't have a pro dryer like a Pibbs. Do you know what temp the salon used and if your dryer gets to that temp?

frostydoll

lisana said:
If the salon dried your set in an hour then you probably need to go 1.5 to 2 hours especially if you don't have a pro dryer like a Pibbs. Do you know what temp the salon used and if your dryer gets to that temp?

No I don't know any info about the dryers. It was only one section in the back and I didn't realize it until I started brushing out the roots. I'm going to invest in hot air brush to blow out my roots for next time and than do the silk wrap. I'm glad I wasn't going anywhere today but practice makes perfect.

frostydoll

Pokahontas was talking about it in her album and she uses it when she rollersets to blow out her roots. Since she's natural I'm using her as an inspiration. Here's one I saw on Target.com, I'm going to hit up the BSS tomorrow. Even though I won't have time to try another rollerset until after August 1st, but it would be nice to have it before the move.