My first protective (flat twist) style turned out great! (with pics)

Healthiest Protective Style?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spicypeppermint

(My first time making a flat twist so it DEFINITELY didn't turn out perfect, or even straight! lol)

I didn't wash or deep condition. I saturated my hair with NTM conditioner (not the leave in kind) sealed with coconut oil & did a few (uneven) flat twists and it turned out great! NTM has been the only thing so far that has kept my 4b hair from frizzing. I decided not to untwist my hair but to pin the ends on top of my head with a barrette.

Today I experimented with leaving in the Nexxus Humectress conditioner with flat twists...taking hours to dry but my hair is more silkier than with the NTM!...great products!

As a spritz throughout the day I substituted the Chi Silk for the Nexxus Luxe Leave-In Conditioner with great results.

I normally have frizzy ends depending on the temperature. I think I'll go ahead and splurge on the Nexxus & NTM lines :D

Here is a GREAT video on two-strand twists! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRJv7F-n7H4

new-1.jpg

IMG00472-20091020-2202-1.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful. That is a flat twist updo, correct? You're going to have to do a step by step tutorial! :grin::grin::grin:

You did a good job. I really like it. I've been trying for awhile and still can't flat twist (or braid). :wallbash:
I think the hardest part is keeping the hair untangled as you go along. But it's a lot easier than cornrolling. You can do it! You just have to told one of the twist down as you turn the other around it. Then take the other lock, grab some hair and flip it over the first :)

Beautiful. That is a flat twist updo, correct? You're going to have to do a step by step tutorial! :grin::grin::grin:
Whoa! Your signature style is gorgeous! Give me that tutorial first! Haha! I'm still trying to figure out how to get my parts straight but it's pretty easy. I know folks say the hair should be wet but it tangles to much when it is. I do it semi dry then spray it after.

OMG! If I could do this myself I'd be all good, please do or point me in the direction of a youtube vid tutorial on how this is done.

I don't know if 2 strand twists are supposed to be better than this style, but I'm liking this look A LOT better!! and I want to do this for the protective challenge... any help will do. Thanks.

OMG! If I could do this myself I'd be all good, please do or point me in the direction of a youtube vid tutorial on how this is done.

I don't know if 2 strand twists are supposed to be better than this style, but I'm liking this look A LOT better!! and I want to do this for the protective challenge... any help will do. Thanks.
Wow...I just experimented so I didn't follow any particular instructions...the best way to describe it is corn rolling but with two strands of locks instead of three...

here are some videos to get you started!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRJv7F-n7H4

Back