My Ends Need HELP!

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
It seems that no matter what I do, I cannot keep my ends moisturized/healthy feeling for ANYTHING.

I moisturize. I oil. I wear my hair in a bun (although I will admit that I may not be doing it correctly. I try to be gentle with and baby my ends, but at the end of the day, my ends still feel dry and brittle. I still get bent up pieces that break off. My ends feel like they all get tied together. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

Please help. I'm experiencing a lot of growth, and I would love to retain greater than 50% of said growth. I also want to maintain thick, healthy ends after I get a blunt cut sometime this summer (or whenever the thickest part of my hair reaches BSL).

I've been having a problem with my ends being dry and brittle as well. I think the problem can also be attributed to me being natural.

A couple of weeks ago I mixed up some conditioner, oil (not too much) and glycerine and applied it to my ends. Boy did that make a world of difference. I was going to cut off my ends, but I won't bother doing that now, because they feel as good as the rest of my hair.

I'm still doing the same thing but without the oil and with a different conditioner that has very little of the extras ... no cones, safer preservatives etc and I'm getting great results.

I don't know whether it's something you've tried or are willing to try. If you end up trying it, please let me know how it turns out for you :)

Last edited:
Do you spray your hair with your own moisture mix or a shop bought spray during the daytime? This may help keep the dryness at bay.

^^^ Hmmm, how often do you DC and what do you use?

I DC once a week with Treseme for dry and damaged hair.

I moisturize with EVOO, a water/peppermint mix, Infusium 23 anti-breakage, and/or an EVOO/Treseme mix. I don't do all of these at once. I also use a shower cap on my hair to lock in moisture, but I don't over do it (actually, I've slightly fallen off of the wagon the last week or so).

Let me throw something out there:

How's your porosity? (Try a clear semi-perm color)
Are you keeping with protein treatments?
Does your hair like oil?

My fine strands hate oil. Sealing with oil just doesn't work for me . I use a spritz followed with a creamy moisturizer to "seal" instead.

ETA: Just read the above post. I think that you need to find a better DC and daily moisturizer. Maybe limit or dilute the infusium too.

Last edited:
I used to have really dry ends and they felt like straw at the end of the day. About a month ago, I discovered, from Avon of all places, dry ends serum. It has done wonders for my ends. I have also started DC a lot more than I used to, concentrating a lot of conditioner on my ends and this has also helped.

I was just going to ask you about your porosity. Roux porosity control worked wonders for my hair. You may have to do two or three treatments a week, but it worked wonders on my dry brittle hair.

I wished I would have used this because I'd be APL or pretty close to it had I used the Roux. All my ends fell off (due to baggying and using the flat iron once too many times)

You may need to increase your DC's until the problem is fixed.

The home grown steam method will help also.

Let me throw something out there:

How's your porosity? (Try a clear semi-perm color)
Are you keeping with protein treatments?
Does your hair like oil?

My fine strands hate oil. Sealing with oil just doesn't work for me . I use a spritz followed with a creamy moisturizer to "seal" instead.

ETA: Just read the above post. I think that you need to find a better DC and daily moisturizer. Maybe limit or dilute the infusium too.

My hair has a love/hate relationship with oil. I add just a little bit of condish to myu oil to give it a creamy quality.

I also use infusium sparingly.

I use Mane n' Tail for my protien. I mix the shampoo with my Creme of Nature detangling and conditioning shampoo. I also will usethe condish as a leave in.

I do this often enough to balance with the moisture that I give my hair.

Back