My ends are dry and breaking and I don't know what else to do

Hi Ladies,

For the past week and a half to 2 weeks or so my ends have been breaking terribly. If i even put my hands on my ends a lot of strands come out. I have double processed hair- relaxer plus highlights, but until now I never had such a problem. I've tried s-curling like crazy but my hair goes back to feeling really dry in 30 minutes. I deep conditioning with moisturizing con-no difference. I deep conditioned today with AO GPB still breaking follwed by moisturizing con-still breaking. I'm taking a swim class but i make sure to wet my hair and saturate w/ conditioner plus swim cap. I wash 2x a week, and use distilled water for my final rinse. What in the name of hair, could be causing my hair to feel so dry and break so much? I'm so fed up right now. do I need to use aphogee? and how soon considering I just did a GPB treatment. I just got a trim/cut 4 weeks ago so i know i'm not due for one. Someone please help me i don't know what to do. I'm tempted to just chop it all off and go natural. I'm sick of my hair, I've had sooooo many setbacks this year, cut so many times. I'm ready to throw in the towel with this hair thing.

harden718

Poor thing I'm going through the same thing right now. My hair was thinning so bad due to a relaxer mishap, which i was contemplating cutting of my hair and going natural also.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

First, calm down, cause sista just reading this post I feel your pain. I think you've been doing a little too much chemical stuff to the hair along with the swimming, I guess your hair is saying it's enough. So, I would shampoo and Deep Condition every 4 days after you do the Aphoghee or Nexxus Emergencee treatment and moisturize your hair 2-3 times a day (morning, late afternoon, and night), and don't forget the leave in conditioner, you may also want to do protective style's for a while until you see less shedding or close to none. I don't know your current routine so I'm just suggesting some things that have worked for me and others. Follow up w/ the Aphoghee or Emergencee treatments as listed to help prevent future breakage, and always do a reconstructor after relaxing, (if you don't currently do). HTH and :). Just some extra TLC and your hair will be happy again soon.

Healthb4Length

BeautifulWideEyes said:
First, calm down, cause sista just reading this post I feel your pain. I think you've been doing a little too much chemical stuff to the hair along with the swimming, I guess your hair is saying it's enough. So, I would shampoo and Deep Condition every 4 days after you do the Aphoghee or Nexxus Emergencee treatment and moisturize your hair 2-3 times a day (morning, late afternoon, and night), and don't forget the leave in conditioner, you may also want to do protective style's for a while until you see less shedding or close to none. I don't know your current routine so I'm just suggesting some things that have worked for me and others. Follow up w/ the Aphoghee or Emergencee treatments as listed to help prevent future breakage, and always do a reconstructor after relaxing, (if you don't currently do). HTH and :). Just some extra TLC and your hair will be happy again soon.

Excellent advice! I would also reccommend that you oil your ends, that is the last 3 inches of your hair, I've found that this has helped tremendously with cutting down on breakage and splits. I got this advice from Miz Divine and I am so grateful that I've been following it! Oil the last 3 inches of your hair with a essential oil....ie olive oil, jojoba or even shea butter...the ends of the hair is the oldest therefore it needs more care than the roots which is the strongest. When you do your deep treatment, prior to washing it out put some essential oils on your ends (while conditioner is still on hair) leave on for several minutes and then wash out. YOur hair will be Uber soft, and your ends will be so nice! I hope this advice helps!:)

Thank you ladies for all your advice ladies I really appreciate it. I am oiling my ends, I use Megacare shea butter oil to seal in moisture always, plus I do a hot oil treatment at least 1x a month . Also all I do is protective styles ( I never wear my hair out anymore) So maybe it's the chemicals and the swimming, I notice this started happening after my first swim class 2 weeks ago. How soon should I do the aphogee? is tomorrow safe? I'm listing my regimen below for critique

Tuesday (1st swim class)
after swimming I wash with Moisturizing poo, follwed by moisturizing con leave on for 10-15 minutes w/ plastic cap then rinse. Follow with leave in conditioner, moisturizer, and oil. Pin my hair up.

Thursday
After swim class wash with mois. or clarifying poo
condition with light protein for 20 to 30 minutes under hood dryer
followed with moisturizing con for 5 minutes
leave in con, mois. oil and Pin my hair up

(as you can see my wash schedule are based n the days when I swim should I change something about that?

I do a heavy protein every 5-6 weeks (aphogee)
hot oil 1-2 times a month

BAILEYSCREAM

IntelligenceisBeautiful said:
Hi Ladies,

For the past week and a half to 2 weeks or so my ends have been breaking terribly. If i even put my hands on my ends a lot of strands come out. I have double processed hair- relaxer plus highlights, but until now I never had such a problem. I've tried s-curling like crazy but my hair goes back to feeling really dry in 30 minutes. I deep conditioning with moisturizing con-no difference. I deep conditioned today with AO GPB still breaking follwed by moisturizing con-still breaking. I'm taking a swim class but i make sure to wet my hair and saturate w/ conditioner plus swim cap. I wash 2x a week, and use distilled water for my final rinse. What in the name of hair, could be causing my hair to feel so dry and break so much? I'm so fed up right now. do I need to use aphogee? and how soon considering I just did a GPB treatment. I just got a trim/cut 4 weeks ago so i know i'm not due for one. Someone please help me i don't know what to do. I'm tempted to just chop it all off and go natural. I'm sick of my hair, I've had sooooo many setbacks this year, cut so many times. I'm ready to throw in the towel with this hair thing.

I suggest you steam it first if you can....if it's dry don't use the aphoghee yet as this will only dry out the hair further at this stage....sounds like your hair strands are dried out....oil steam it twice a week if you can with oil (olive oil is good or use the Dabur Vatika or any oil you have) for now until it softens up....sounds to me like the chlorine is drying up your hair or at least reacting with the chemicals that are already in your hair. Maybe it's a good idea to use a clarifying shampoo weekly too to bring out the chemicals (chlorine) in your hair.

Maybe once the hair's moisture level is restored than you can do the aphoghee to stop breakage and shedding....good luck.

aileendq

Hi IiB,
Have you noticed that the pool where you swim is more chlorinated? it could be they changed the mixture of the pool water. Also, if the pool hasn't been used much (over the summer, for example) they might have done a "Shock Treatment" which invloves tons of harsh chemicals. You can't let people swim for 48 hrs after one.)

So, my advice is the following:

1) Continue to wet your hair & add cond. before your swim.
2) Clarify your hair with swimmer's shampoo (that stuff often can't be removed by regular shampoo-even clarifying shampoo.)
3) Fix the ph of your hair (acidity/base level) with a cond. like Nexxus Ensure (I use this after I relax, too.)
4) Deep cond. every time you wash until your hair is restored.
5) Oil your ends often (I do mine 2x a day or more.)

Hope this helps!

carameldiva

i would go to sally's beauty supply and get lamaur's bone marrow- use this weekly as a deep conditioner. I would also do a wekly pre-shampoo treatment on dry hair of castor oil. At nite- oil your hair/scalp with evening primrose oil or you can try a mix- i do a few drops of rosemary oil, sweet almond oil and wheatgerm oil. Hope this helps.

HoneyDew

I had the same problem. I use Profectiv Root Health took that all away. It is kind of thick for daily use unless you have a protective style like me, but you can deep condition with it, too - Use a lot of it on wet hair ( Personally, I use it after a wash or spray my hair with Yaki Professional Leave-in Conditioner, but you anything will do). It is really some good stuff.

Oils never work on my hair unless I put them on while it is still wet.

I am a 4a/n relaxed.

Thank you for your encouragement ladies I definitely needed it.

Aileendq's post set off a light bulb in my head I wasn't using a swimmer's shampoo, so it seems that I am here walking around with chlorine in my hair :eek: , so I ran to the store and got me some AO swimmer's shampoo immediately. Also I'm currently searching for an acidifier the BSS I went to didn't have Nexxus Ensure and I don't know any others, but if you ladies do please let me know. I also plan to hot oil treat with olive oil 1-2x per week. I have to pass a swim test in order to graduate so my swim class is mandatory. However, I will not lose my hair in the process. I feel so much better from yesterday. Thanks again guys :love:

LiqueXX

I agree with another poster when they mentioned doing a pre-shampoo treatment. You can use conditioners and oils (mixed or separate), leave it in your hair for an hour and then shampoo.