Dry Ends or in need of a trim.

Angel1794

Hello all,

I'm in need of some help. I'm currently wearing my hair in a bun and it seems as though my ends are becoming very dry during day. I moisturize at night and seal with oil, but for some reason they are breaking. Could this be that I'm in need of a trim or I have over moisturized? I am CON washing and washing and deep conditioning with Silk Mayo MegaSilk once a week. Should I use more of a protein to balance out?

Last trim and relaxer was July 06. Next relaxer tentatively 20 week mark. Longest stretch ever. I'm a 3b/c type.

Angel1794

Moisturizing with Africans' best Organics Shea Butter and sometimes Elasta Mango Butter sealed with either WGO or JoJoba Oil. I also apply Caster Oil to my scalp with Surge 14. I don't think the bun is to tight. I'm using the donut type because sometimes I have to play around with it to make sure all the hair covers the donut, but I could be wrong. When I wear my hair out in a regular ponytail the day after my ends seem to be just fine. I was trying to hide the ends to retain length. In addition, I have flat Iron my hair this weekend and they seem to be fine as well. It's just dry when a removed the bun for the day.

mystery29

This is a good thread because I was wondering whats a good product to use on the ends of your hair to keep them from drying. I just recently took out my braids and now I wrap my hair every night so I was wondring what was the best thing for dry ends?

luvSLave

Since you say your ends feel fine any other time, I'd experiement with different products or techniques before considering a trim. Perhaps you should try something with a higher water content or a liquid moisturizer (something like S-Curl or Sta-Sof-fro) first, then seal with oil. I find that some butters are so thick they work more like sealants, not moisturizers.

Last edited:

ThursdayGirl

luvSLave said:
Since you say your ends feel fine any other time, I'd experiement with different products or techniques before considering a trim. Perhaps you should try something with a higher water content or a liquid moisturizer (something like S-Curl or Sta-Sof-fro) first, then seal with oil. I find that some butters are so thick they work more like sealants, not moisturizers.

This is good advice. I agree!

Angel1794

Thanks. Last night I put Surge 14 on my ends along with the Shea Butter and Castor Oil. I also put on baggie just to see how it works. I will know this evening the results when I remove the bun.

luvSLave

Angel, be careful with the Surge. I'm pretty sure it has a high protein content, which could just make your ends worse if your hair is sensitive to protein and/or you use it regularly. I think a lot of people use the 14 on their scalps, not their hair, for this very reason.

MzOptimistic

luvSLave said:
Angel, be careful with the Surge. I'm pretty sure it has a high protein content, which could just make your ends worse if your hair is sensitive to protein and/or you use it regularly. I think a lot of people use the 14 on their scalps, not their hair, for this very reason.

I spray surge 14 on my ends, apply profective healthy ends or mango butter on ends, seal with kemi oyl and baggie. Now if I do a protein treatment, I do not apply the surge. The only time I really spray surge on my ends is when I am taking my hair down to remoisturize my hair and baggie my hair back up. I get no breakage whatsoever BUT as stated before alot of people can't use certain products the same way:)

*editing to add, that I never apply surge 14 to my scalp. It makes my scalp flaky. I use surge 14 as a detangler after I wash my hair or to rewet my ends:)

Last edited:

Angel1794

Sorry been out of reach for the entire week, but the answer the question of whether they were bent or split. It looks as though they were bent. The results from the surge 14 seem to turn out fine. I braided my hair and applied moisture and everything was okay. That why I'm confused.