My CON shampoo has sodium hydroxide

ubavka123

as an ingredient! I mean, it is way down on the list. I was just reading the ingredients. It has a lot of wonderful ingredients like wheat germ oil, aloe, milk protein, extracts of various roots, etc. I was like, cool, these are good and then BAM! Sodium hydroxide!
That's the main ingredient in relaxer! Did anyone else know this and does it give you pause? I am kind of concerned now.
By the way, I use the one that does not have SLS, in the yellowish bottle with red labeling (CON professional). Does the one with the green labeling also have sodium hydroxide? Does anyone know? I wonder if this is a problem and why would it be in there? Thanks in advance for input.

moneychaser

Harmless

From another thread:
"Please take a look at this link. You guys are really worrying about the wrong thing. Lye chemcally changes when it is added to lipids or fats. The process is called saponification. I am not just making up this information. I am telling you that it is OK to use your normal shampoos and conditioners even if sodium hydroxide is listed on the label.
Here is a link about saponification:
http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/blsapon.htm
It explains what happens to lye when it is added to fat. "

ubavka123

Yup, thanks Denali. I was just reading about that on the 'net. And I was going to post some of what I found out, but you beat me to it. Sorry to be alarmist to anyone who may have been alarmed by this...

ubavka123

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
I am more worried about the build-up...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is what I was worried about...I use it pretty regularly. I should have made that clear. I am wondering for the long term users if they have noticed anything. When you say build-up, you are talking about the sodium hydroxide, right? I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is what I was worried about...I use it pretty regularly. I should have made that clear. I am wondering for the long term users if they have noticed anything. When you say build-up, you are talking about the sodium hydroxide, right? I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think a lot of CON's buildup is due to the balsam it has in it.

ubavka123

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.
I majored in Econ, not chemistry, so I am learning some new stuff today.
I haven't seen lye as an ingredient in any of my products, so I was a little puzzled until I read up on it. Thanks for your responses. That's the newbie curse, you always wind up posting about a subject that has been done already!

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ayeshia

I think the lye prolly makes the shampoo more neutral if it has acidic properties. Thats the only reason I can think of. But its way down at the bottom of the ingredient list, so who knows?

ubavka123

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This can be taken care of by clarifying, right?

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This can be taken care of by clarifying, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, I really don't think that companies should put balsam in their products, but what it does is coat the hair and make it appear thicker (i think that's what I read) but balsam is a waxy resin type thing that can eventually coat and weigh down the hair badly

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
I also heard that balsam is not good for those with curlier hair types because it doesn't moisturize the hair enough and in the long run dries out the hair.

ubavka123

Thank you for this info Ms_Kenesha and Champagne_Wishes. The resin component raised my antenna as well. This is good to know. I hope that I can one day find a shampoo that does for me what CON does without the resin. Anyone know of one? I haven't found it yet...

cutebajangirl

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
Thank you for this info Ms_Kenesha and Champagne_Wishes. The resin component raised my antenna as well. This is good to know. I hope that I can one day find a shampoo that does for me what CON does without the resin. Anyone know of one? I haven't found it yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Listed in order of personal preference:
Elasta QP Creme conditioning Shampoo
Soft Sheen Carson Breakthru Shampoo
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Champagne_Wishes said:
Your're welcome. I was disappointed that my GPB has balsam so I'm trying to faze it out of my product stash.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh shoot it does? Darn. Well I only use it once a month so It wont do that much harm hopefully

ubavka123

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
Breakthru Poo is identical to CON minus the balsam
I LOVE that stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Running out to get some...Thanks! I hope it doesn't fail me!

ubavka123

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Listed in order of personal preference:
Elasta QP Creme conditioning Shampoo
Soft Sheen Carson Breakthru Shampoo
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!!!!

Cinnabuns

Hey I love CON and I too just found out recently about the "lye" stuff and I'm glad that it is not harmful because I LOVE it.
However I will try some of the Soft Sheen Stuff (thanks for tip guys)