Loreal Smooth Intense Shampoo has sodium hydroxide

Cindy70

I don't know if this has been discussed here or not, but does anyone here use this shampoo and if you do are you wary of the sodium hydroxide it contains. I purchased this shampoo yesterday and at the time I didn't look at the ingredients. I didn't notice that it contained sodium hydroxide until right before I was about to use it. I went ahead and used it anyway and it did leave my hair feeling "smooth" when wet, but then I started thinking again about the sodium hydroxide in it and I quickly went and rewashed my hair with a neutralizing shampoo. I really did like the way that the Smooth Intense shampoo left my hair feeling - not dry at all, but I don't know if I want to continue to use a shampoo that contains one of the main ingredients in a hair relaxer. Has anyone used this product long term? Have you experienced any problems with it?

karezone

Almost all shampoos have a sodium hydroxide base (lye) because all soaps that I know of have there start with lye. It will not harm your hair.

Cindy70

The other shampoos in the L'Oreal Vive line don't contain sodium hydroxide. I didn't know that they still made soap with lye.

Miosy

CON also has NaOH in it too. I am sure they use it to adjust the pH of their products. It's a minute amount so it won't hurt the hair.

Miosy

I used CON twice a week and never had a problem. It's such a small amount because I am sure they use it adjust the pH which can be any where to drops to less than an ounce.

Cindy70

Thanks for the info, Moisy and karezone.
I might try the L'Oreal Smooth Intense shampoo again, but I think that I'm going to try another of the L'Oreal Vive shampoos that doesn't have sodium hydroxide listed in the ingredients first and see if I like that just as well.

Mija

Exotical OG
I use it every now and then. I like it, it makes my hair soft and smooth. In the summer I use Loreal Hydravive & Nutrivive conditioners.